Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Marianna, Florida Historical Markers

 
Battle of Marianna Marker Area image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, June 4, 2014
Battle of Marianna Marker Area
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-8 — Battle of Marianna
On September 27, 1864, Gen. Asboth's force of 700 Federal cavalry from Pensacola arrived in the Marianna area to forage and secure Negro recruits. Confederate forces of a few hundred home guardsmen barricaded the streets of Marianna and withstood . . . — Map (db m74193) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Cavalry Fight in Downtown Marianna The Battle of Marianna
Union and Confederate troops battled for control of the downtown area as fighting swept east through the streets during the Battle of Marianna. A Union flanking party entered town from the north via Caledonia Street and moved east up Lafayette to . . . — Map (db m93108) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Confederate Soldiers Monument
Front (East Side) In memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Jackson County Florida North Side We care not whence they came, Dear in their lifeless clay! Whether unknown, or known to fame, Their cause and country . . . — Map (db m74209) WM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Davis-West House
This Marianna landmark was built by John Davis in the 1840's for his daughter, Rebecca Davis Spears. After the death of her husband, she married Dr. Theophilus West in 1859. Dr. West served as a surgeon in the Confederate Army and was with General . . . — Map (db m67534) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Dekle-Brunner House
1845 Original house now rear portion of house, built by Amanda and Oliver Rostrum. In 1875, M.L. Dekle's wife Stella, purchased house and he planted the oak trees along the street. First Baptist Church was organized here in 1881. House burned in . . . — Map (db m74201) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Ely-Criglar House
This two-story residence is one of Marianna's first great antebellum mansions, built by Francis R. Ely around 1840. The house was acquired in 1889 by Francis B. Carter, who later became Justice of the Supreme Court of Florida. In 1900 the house was . . . — Map (db m67540) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Fight at the Chipola River Bridge The Battle of Marianna
Retreating Confederate troops reached the Chipola River after fighting pursuing Union troops from Ely Corner (intersection of Lafayette and Russ Streets) to this point. Captain Robert Chisolm's Woodville Scouts, a cavalry unit from Alabama, drove . . . — Map (db m101422) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Fighting at Ely Corner The Battle of Marianna
The main section of the Battle of Marianna began here at 11 a.m. on September 27, 1864. Confederate cavalry under Col. A.B. Montgomery formed a line of battle across the main street at this point. Union troops, led by Brig. Ben. Alexander Asboth, . . . — Map (db m93103) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — First Presbyterian Church
Presbyterians first worshipped in Marianna, Florida in 1835. The First Presbyterian Church in Marianna was established by nine women and one man, Bryan Erwin, the first ruling elder. It is recorded that Mr. Erwin came to Jackson County from Scotland . . . — Map (db m73942) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — First United Methodist Church Established 1834
Methodists first conducted services in this area in 1823, and organized Marianna's first church congregation on December 10, 1834. In 1838, the Methodists erected the town's first church building, a wooden structure facing east. In 1892 the . . . — Map (db m74200) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-506 — Gilmore Academy - Jackson County Training School 1922-1970
In 1922, Robert T. Gilmore (1879-1948), born in Monticello, founded Gilmore Academy, one of Jackson County's first African-American high schools. Trustees of Marianna's African-American community purchased this three-acre site in 1907 and raised . . . — Map (db m74191) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-195 — Jackson County
On August 12, 1822, the year after the United States received possession of the Floridas, an Act of the Territorial Legislative Council divided West Florida into two counties -- Jackson and Escambia. At that time, Jackson County included all . . . — Map (db m74194) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Lewis-Wykoff House
Built in 1840, this house was sold by Frances Towers to Isavelle, wife of Arthur Lewis, in 1847. Richard Lewis, creator of the popular patent medicine, Lewis Eye Water, was born here in 1849. In 1852-58, the owner was George Hawkins, Territorial . . . — Map (db m67533) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-498 — Saint Luke Baptist Church
This African-American church was founded under a brush arbor on the banks of the Chipola River in August, 1867 under the leadership of Rev. Samuel Brown. Shortly after organizing, one of the members who owned a blacksmith shop allowed his shop to be . . . — Map (db m74196) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — Site of the Battle of Marianna
Here at high noon on September 27, 1864, a Federal raiding force of 900 men under Brigadier-General Alexander Asboth fought a Confederate home guard of 95 old men and boys under Captain Jesse J. Norwood. Entering Marianna from the west, the main . . . — Map (db m68796) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — St. Luke's Churchyard
Along with the Old Town Burial Ground, this cemetery shelters some of the noteworthy historical figures of the county. The Episcopal Church it surrounds, organized in 1838, is among the most historic in the state. Within its bounds may be found . . . — Map (db m68852) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-35 — Sylvania Plantation
Near this site stood “Sylvania”, the plantation home of John Milton, Florida's Civil War governor, who settled in Jackson County in 1845. Milton's holdings consisted of over 2600 acres, a manor house, a school and family chapel, barns, . . . — Map (db m74197) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — The Abstract Office
The Abstract Office is the oldest business building in Marianna. Believed to have been built as his office in the 1840's by Dr. W.S. Wilson who died in 1868. Marianna's telephone exchange was established in 1801 and this building housed the Central . . . — Map (db m74195) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — The Holden House
John de Roulhac and his wife, Martha Rasco, arrived in Jackson County in 1846. This house was built about that time. Their daughter, Clara, married Dr. Julius Holden here Sept. 22, 1859. Dr. Holden served in the Confederate Army. Legend says the . . . — Map (db m74189) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — The Russ House
Built in 1895 by Joseph W. Russ, Jr., a prominent landowner and merchant. Neoclassical alterations were made in 1910, by his wife, Bettie Philips Russ. Their only child, Frances Russ Dickerson, lived here for most of her 89 years. Five generations . . . — Map (db m74211) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — F-920 — The West End Community
As early as 1825, African Americans settled in the Jackson County area. After 1865, interconnected communities developed their own infrastructure including cemeteries, schools, and churches. From these communities, a large population came together . . . — Map (db m101421) HM
Florida (Jackson County), Marianna — The Woman's Club
The house was built in 1864 by Joseph T. Russ for his wife Mary. In 1881 it was deeded to his daughter, Luella Burke. It was sold in 1884 to Mary Hearn West. Harriet M. Hearn, mother of Mary West bought the house in 1890. In 1891 Theodore D. West . . . — Map (db m67518) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement