June 19, 1864. Johnston’s Army of Tennessee [CS] withdrew to its Kennesaw line -- Polk’s A. C. (under Loring), posted on the mountain; Hardee’s, extending S. from Loring’s left, prolonged the line beyond Cheatham Hill; Hood’s corps on Loring’s . . . — — Map (db m30280) HM
When the 23d A.C. [US] crossed the Chattahoochee at Soap Creek, above the State R. R., July 8, 1864, Johnston’s River Line [CS] (Oakdale Rd.) was evacuated to the Fulton County side, July 9. There being no further need of McPherson’s Army of the . . . — — Map (db m19696) HM
Built by Glover Machine Works of Marietta, this 1916 locomotive was sold to a company in Va. for hauling lumber. In 1921 GMW reassumed possession. It was restored in 1992. Today GMW is in its sixth generation and still makes heavy industrial . . . — — Map (db m13077) HM
July 6, 1864. Schofield’s Federal 23d A.C. having been shifted N.E. from Sandtown Rd. (at Floyd Station), camped at Smyrna. Resuming the march, July 7, it traversed only 2 mi. (to this point) where it camped. July 8, 4 A.M. the march continued to . . . — — Map (db m52301) HM
After each Union assault on June 27, hundreds of casualties were left between the lines. By afternoon, wounded Union soldiers lying helpless near here faced a new danger; flames, started by the battle’s gunfire, crept steadily toward them.
Lt. . . . — — Map (db m70077) HM
Address by President Lincoln
At the Dedication of
The Gettysburg National Cemetery
November 19, 1863.
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in liberty, and . . . — — Map (db m60972) HM
The 3 brigades of Williams’ (1st) Div., 20th A. C., [US] were posted on the high ground W. of the road between this point and the Powder Springs Road.
Geary’s (2d) Div. [US] right joined Williams at the ravine West of the Greer house, his . . . — — Map (db m29710) HM
Hascall’s (2d) Div. 23d A.C., Union, via Manning’s Mill, reached Kolb’s schoolhouse (site of Mt. Zion Ch.) 2 p.m. & joined its left to right of Williams' (1st) Div., 20th A.C. [US] at the McAdoo - Oatman house on Powder Springs Rd. Hascall placed . . . — — Map (db m16871) HM
The extension of the right wing of Federal forces S. of the Dallas Rd. threatening to outflank him, Johnston sent Hood’s Corps [CS] from the right (E. of Kennesaw) to this, the extreme left, with directions to stop further Federal advances. Hood . . . — — Map (db m17158) HM
The 14th Kentucky (2d Division, 23d A.C.,) together with the 123d N. Y. (1st Division, 20th A.C.,) [US] were posted as skirmishers East of the Kolb farmstead.
The stubborn resistance by the 14th Ky., and the 123d N.Y., disrupted the concerted . . . — — Map (db m19573) HM
A costly Confederate attack here stopped the Union army's attempt to bypass Kennesaw Mountain. On June 22, 1864, Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston sent Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood's 13,000 troops down Powder Springs Road to stop the Federal . . . — — Map (db m17280) HM
On June 15, 1864, General Sherman ordered an attack on a portion of the Confederate fortified line located between Gilgal Church and a hill one mile eastward known as "Pine Knob". Three divisions of the 20th Army Corps were to break through an . . . — — Map (db m11765) HM
A plan to help lift rural Cobb County out of the Great Depression by building a commercial airport changed course when America entered WWII and Marietta was chosen as the location for a new aircraft assembly plant. Wartime necessity had rival . . . — — Map (db m33703) HM
June 19, 1864. McPherson’s army of the Tenn., left wing of Sherman’s army, moved into this sector – the rugged terrain of Brushy mtn. – on the Kennesaw Mountain front.
The 17th A.C. & Garrard’s Cav. Were N.E. of this point; 15th & 16th, . . . — — Map (db m50199) HM
Tennessee cannoneers positioned two 12-pounder howitzers within this redoubt. Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Cheatham ordered these artillery crews to camouflage the earthen mounds with cut underbrush and to hold their fire unless attacked. For the next . . . — — Map (db m70085) HM
Acting chief of artillery for the 1st Division (4th Army Corps), Simonson on June 16, 1864 was busy entrenching here a 4-gun battery of artillery when he was killed by a Confederate bullet. The Confederate was perhaps a sharpshooter armed with an . . . — — Map (db m11338) HM
The intrenched line of the Confederate Army of Tenn., as of June 19-July 3, 1864, crossed the road here. This sector was held by Lt. Gen. Wm. J. Hardee's A.C. -- the right of his line at Kennesaw Mtn., the left, from 1 to 2 miles southward of this . . . — — Map (db m5239) HM
The Native Americans bent saplings to grow into living “signposts” for traveling Indians. These living markers pointed the way to a water source, a suitable river crossing or a main trail. — — Map (db m50200) HM
In 1803, Georgia established a lottery as the fairest means of distributing land to common farmers. After gold was discovered in 1828 near Dahlonega, the state ignored federal treaties and asserted its claims on the Cherokee territory (including . . . — — Map (db m9154) HM
In 1808–1809, the Cherokee nation divided when some of its members decided to move west of the Mississippi River to pursue a hunter lifestyle where game was plentiful rather than live the more settled lifestyle prevalent in the east. A portion . . . — — Map (db m68042) HM
Sara Freeman Clarke established the first public library in Marietta and Cobb County in 1882 when she allowed residents to borrow books from her home without charge. She named it the “Franklin Lending Library”.
The next year, a group . . . — — Map (db m60577) HM
Created December 3, 1832, and named for Judge Thomas W. Cobb, a former U.S. Senator, Marietta was named for his wife.
Fertile lands gave impetus to farming; ample water power encouraged industries. People from further south sought Marietta as a . . . — — Map (db m1660) HM
3,000 Confederate dead from every southern state are buried in this cemetery. First established for [CS] soldiers killed in a railroad collision in 1863, it became the resting place for dead from nearby battlefields. In 1866, under the direction of . . . — — Map (db m17007) HM
Burial of Confederates killed in a railroad collision, September, 1863, on land given by Mrs. Jane Glover, established this cemetery. Later more land was given by Ann Moyer and others, and the [CS] dead here from Marietta hospitals and the Kennesaw . . . — — Map (db m29816) HM
The old Marietta Rd. joined the Sandtown Rd. here -- 1864. June 17-19. Geary’s (2d) Div., 20th A.C., supporting 13th N.Y. & Pa. E batteries, were N. of rd. & Cox’s (3d) Div. 23d. A.C., supporting 1st Ohio Bat. D. [US] were S. of rd. -- in area from . . . — — Map (db m17686) HM
Site of home of Rev. Gary Davis (1799-1875).
In June 1864, was an outpost of right wing of Sherman´s forces [US], moving from New Hope Church in Paulding Co. toward the State R.R. and the [CS] left
flank. Hardee´s Corps [CS] , on the left, . . . — — Map (db m14407) HM
The 23d A.C. [US] seized a position at Moss’ house (at Floyd Station), lower Sandtown Rd., July 1 -- nearer Chattahoochee River than Johnston’s Kennesaw line [CS], whereupon he withdrew his army, via Marietta, to his Smyrna - Ruff’s Mill line, 6 mi. . . . — — Map (db m16851) HM
One-half mi. S., at the road - fork, is SIGNAL HILL, where Sherman observed the assault on Cheatham Hill by troops of the 4th & 14th Corps [US], June 27.
The John Ward Road -- left turn at the fork -- leads to Thomas’ Headquarters, June 27, & . . . — — Map (db m29755) HM
Confederate engineers and work crews started digging earthworks around Kennesaw Mountain a few days before their army fell back to this position on June 19. For the next week Southern soldiers improved their earthwork defenses despite constant rain. . . . — — Map (db m70086) HM
June 27, 1864. At 8 A.M., five brigades assaulted the Confederates of Hardee’s Corps, posted on the wooded ridge across the valley eastward. From left to right there were: Kimball’s, Wagner’s & Harker’s brigades, Newton’s div. 4th A. C.; McCook’s & . . . — — Map (db m30010) HM
Oldest grave is on this plot for Wm. Harris´ son, William Capers G. Harris (1823-1831). Mr. Harris, a wealthy planter, was a devout Methodist and champion of education. In War of 1812 he served in Capt. Jett Thomas´ Co., 2nd, Regt., Ga. Militia. He . . . — — Map (db m15202) HM
John D. Gantt came to Cobb County in the 1850s with his parents and siblings, and married in 1858. Although the family's farm was destroyed during the Civil War, they rebuilt and continued to acquire land. Years later, the family built this house, . . . — — Map (db m11321) HM
300 ft. W. stood the res. of Wm. Johnston who operated the ferry in the 1850's, where Johnston's Fy. Rd. crosses the Chattahoochee River.
July 5, 1864. Gen. Kenner Garrard's cav. div. [US] enroute from Marietta to Roswell via this rd., camped on . . . — — Map (db m19184) HM
With the occupation of Marietta by Federal forces July 3, 1864, Garrard’s cav. was sent to Roswell to secure a Chattahoochee River crossing for the passage of McPherson’s Army of the Tennessee, which was later shifted from the Federal right to the . . . — — Map (db m50567) HM
In field west of rd., where right of 14th joined left of 20th corps [US]. From this point, June 27, Gen. Thomas [US] directed the assault of 5 brigades of 4th and 14th Corps, against Hardee’s Corps [CS] posted on Cheatham's Hill, E., across valley . . . — — Map (db m17179) HM
Cyrus York house-site; June 10-19, 1864. Johnston’s forces [CS] moved from Paulding Co. to Kennesaw area, June 5, & occupied lines from Lost to Brushy Mtns. June 16: the left was withdrawn E. of Mud Creek. June 19: all forces shifted to mountain . . . — — Map (db m17650) HM
Following the withdrawal of Johnston’s forces, from the Mud Creek ~ Brushy Mtn. line, June 19, to the final one, which included Kennesaw Mtn., Howard’s 4th A. C. [US] moved E. from Hardee’s salient [CS].
Astride this, the Burnt Hickory rd., the . . . — — Map (db m33449) HM
After withdrawing his corps from Lost Mtn. June 9, Polk’s H’dq’rs. [CS] were at the John Kirk house 1 mi. W. on this rd. June 10, h’dq’rs. were moved to Hardage house. Sun. June 12. The Bishop-General read the church service (Episcopal) for his . . . — — Map (db m17665) HM
Opened in 1851 on a 110-acre campus, the Institute had a 4-year curriculum modeled after West Point. The cadet lifestyle was strict. Students attended classes all day followed by an hour-long drill, dress parades at sunset and evenings spent . . . — — Map (db m33698) HM
June 16, 1864. From this point as a pivot, the Confederate line W. to Gilgal Church & Lost Mtn. was swung back to a N. & S. line E. of Mud Creek, thereby making a salient angle -- Hardee's A. C. on the left or S; Polk's & Hood's Corps on the right, . . . — — Map (db m11481) HM
Already a well-established route in the 1700s, the Hightower Trail was a major Indian thoroughfare and part of a network of trails connecting Augusta with the Etowah River area and Alabama. The path crossed the Chattahoochee River at a shallow ford . . . — — Map (db m33432) HM
Facing demolition, this house was relocated here in 2005 from its original site on the battlefield at Gilgal Church in west Cobb County. On 1864 military maps, it was referred to as the “Dixon House”. The house was damaged by artillery . . . — — Map (db m33426) HM
This artillery redoubt protected part of Maj. Gen. Patrick R. Cleburne’s Confederate division. From here Southern trenches zigzagged to the left and right for miles, with cannon batteries placed at key positions. These defense lines could produce a . . . — — Map (db m70066) HM
A point on the intrenched line of Loring’s (formerly Polk’s) A.C., [CS] which extended from the mtn. down its E. slope to the Bell’s Ferry rd. This sector was held by Featherston's div. -- the rt. of the corps. Hood’s A.C. [CS] prolonged the line E. . . . — — Map (db m20571) HM
A four-time Gov. of Ga, Joseph E. Brown (1821-1894) was born in S.C., educated at Yale, and admitted to the Ga. Bar in 1845. "The war governor," he served from 1857-1865. He served in Ga. Supreme Court and three terms in U.S. Senate. He was popular . . . — — Map (db m14685) HM
Judge Debra Halpern Bernes was a loving and devoted wife and mother to her husband, Gary, and children, Lane and Matthew. She served her community as an Assistant District Attorney for Cobb County, a solo practitioner of law and as an elected judge . . . — — Map (db m54702) HM
One of the two abortive attempts to break Johnson’s line, * June 27, 1864, was made in this area by 3 Federal brigades. Deployed on the ridge W. of the stream & astride Burnt Hickory Rd., they moved E. toward the Spur of the mountain, which was the . . . — — Map (db m867) HM
In ante-bellum days, this hotel was a summer resort for planters attracted by the gay social activities of the town. In 1862, J. J. Andrews and his Federal raiders met here to begin the daring Locomotive Chase. Confederate wounded were fed and . . . — — Map (db m11469) HM
Also known as the “Fletcher House,” this building was originally built in 1845 as a cotton warehouse by Marietta’s first mayor, John H. Glover. Dix Fletcher purchased it in 1855, and after remodeling he opened it as a hotel. Located next . . . — — Map (db m70102) HM
June 19, 1864. When Johnston’s forces [CS] moved to a third position on the Kennesaw front, the defense works included the mountain. Bearing N.E. & E., the line ran to the Canton rd.; southward, it reached below the Dallas Rd. The left of French’s . . . — — Map (db m33140) HM
This hewn log house, built about 1836 by a pioneer settler, Peter Valentine Kolb, is the only surviving structure of about a dozen farms, mills and churches existing within the park at the time of the Civil War. The house sustained light damage . . . — — Map (db m70101) HM
This memorial to Mary Annie Gartrell (1853-1906) was erected by her grieving sister Lucy (1863-1954). Musicians both and natives of Cobb County, Lucy visited this grave from her Atlanta home at least twice-weekly for 48 years, many times on foot. . . . — — Map (db m15203) HM
The Lemon Street Grammar School opened in 1894. The original wooden structure was funded by Marietta’s school board, and designed to educate Negro students. The high school was built nearby in 1930 at urging of Ursula Jenkins. Professor M. J. Woods . . . — — Map (db m60575) HM
Near this location on August 17, 1915, Leo M. Frank, the Jewish superintendent of the National Pencil Company in Atlanta, was lynched for the murder of thirteen-year-old Mary Phagan, a factory employee. A highly controversial trial fueled by . . . — — Map (db m16574) HM
June 25, 26, 1864. These troops being designated to assault Confederate forces on Kennesaw Spur, moved to this sector & were aligned astride the Burnt Hickory rd. at this point.
June 27. Walcutt’s brigade (Harrow’s div.) N. of rd.; G.A. . . . — — Map (db m29988) HM
On May 23-24, 1864, Lt. Gen. Leonidas Polk's Corps (CS) marched from Allatoona, Bartow Co., to Dallas, Paulding Co., passing Lost Mountain Post Office.
On June 4-5, Polk's Corps withdrew from the Dallas-New Hope front to Lost Mtn., the position . . . — — Map (db m11440) HM
The wooded knob W. was a fortified outpost, 1.25 miles north of Johnston’s intrenched line from Lost to Brushy Mountains, June 5-15, 1864. Pine Mountain was held by Bate’s division of Hardee’s A. C., 5th Co. Washington Artillery of N. Orleans & Lt. . . . — — Map (db m30365) HM
About a hundred yards southeast of this marker is the remnant of a 15 mile line of Confederate fortifications. These infantry trenches were occupied until June 17th by the Army of Mississippi, a unit within the Confederate Army of Tennessee, Gen. . . . — — Map (db m11337) HM
The campground was established in 1837 at the recommendation of a Methodist "circuit rider" who traveled to serve many churches. The original 40-acre site was purchased for $40.00 and included the land now occupied by the church and cemetery across . . . — — Map (db m11205) HM
Here rest the remains of 10,132 Officers and Soldiers who died in defence of the Union, 1861-1865.
Dedication plaque on one of the marble columns:
In Memory of
Henry Greene Cole
Of Marietta Georgia
Who Gave These Grounds . . . — — Map (db m61180) WM
Celebrated in song as "Little Mary Phagan" after her murder at age 13 on April 26, 1913 in Atlanta. The trial and conviction of Leo Frank were controversial, as was the commutation of his death sentence four days before Confederate Veterans marked . . . — — Map (db m16571) HM
E. on the ridge beyond the valley is the Illinois memorial to Col. Dan McCook’s brigade, Davis’ div., 14th A.C. [US]. It stands at an angle in breastworks of Cheatham's div., Hardee’s A.C. [CS]. McCook's was 1 of 5 brigades designated to attempt a . . . — — Map (db m17192) HM
Built in the style of coastal burial chambers in 1854 by Savannah planter Francis Harris McLeod (1784-1864), an investor in Roswell King´s mills. He was the namesake of his grandfather Francis Harris, first Speaker of 1751 Ga. Colonial Assembly. Six . . . — — Map (db m15187) HM
On 15 June 1864 Daniel Butterfield's division of Joseph Hooker's XX [20th] Army Corps approached this point via the Sandtown Road (Acworth-Due West Rd.) intending to attack Cleburne's Confederates entrenched here at Burnt Hickory and Sandtown roads . . . — — Map (db m11373) HM
Hardee’s intrenched line [CS] crossed the road at this point -- position held June 17-19, 1864 by Cleburne’s Division [CS] after withdrawal of Johnston’s left flank from Gilgal Church. A sharp artillery duel & severe rain marked the 48 hours here . . . — — Map (db m17685) HM
In 1886, Mr. & Mrs. R.T. Nesbitt sold Union Chapel to
the church’s trustees. The deed specified it was to be
used by all Christian denominations and by schools and
agricultural societies. As this was a rural community,
various clergymen preached . . . — — Map (db m11174) HM
1.5 Mi. N.W. is the site of old Gilgal Primitive Baptist Ch. (at DUE WEST) -- a landmark of military operations. JUNE 5-17, 1864.S.E. along this road Cleburne’s div. of Hardee’s Corps [CS] withdrew from Gilgal to old Marietta Rd. S. . . . — — Map (db m17682) HM
Zion Baptist Church was organized in 1866 by 88 former slaves who left First Baptist Church. The first worship place was a brush arbor. Next a small wooden structure was built which was destroyed by fire.
In 1888, the present structure was . . . — — Map (db m42785) HM
Old Zion Church stood 150 ft. E. Confederate trenches crossed rd. in N. S. direction -- the left of Johnston’s Kennesaw line, occupied by Hood’s A. C., [CS] June 21, when it was shifted to their sector from E. of Kennesaw Mtn. Hood’s corps deployed . . . — — Map (db m19670) HM
This cabin is one of the rare examples of a single-pen (one room) log house remaining in Cobb County. Although a framed addition was added later, the original hand-hewn, squared-and-notched log construction is still visible. William Power originally . . . — — Map (db m33350) HM
Established 1835 by James Power, (1790-1870).
Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard’s 4th A. C. (Army of the Cumberland) [US], moved from Vining’s station to this vicinity July 9, 10, 1864. Newton’s (2d) div. was diverted to Roswell to support Garrard’s cav. . . . — — Map (db m16782) HM
This house was the residence of Alice McClellan Birney, co-founder of the National Congress of Parents and Teachers during the post-war era.
The home was probably built by Miss Mary Ann Nesbit prior to 1869, in which year it was purchased by . . . — — Map (db m19980) HM
Mattie Harris Lyon, 97, the “Mother of Marietta,” was known for her years of zealous and affectionate service in religious, civic, welfare and patriotic activities. Her life was dedicated to the service of people of all races. A true . . . — — Map (db m5198) HM
Prominent minister who was born a slave 1833. He was a charter member of Zion Baptist at its founding in 1866 and its second pastor (1869-1885). In 1885 he organized Cole St. & later Pleasant Grove and Whitlock Avenue Baptist Churches. In 1890 . . . — — Map (db m15191) HM
Lawyer, Legislator, Mayor, Judge Robert Flournoy moved to Marietta from Atlanta in 1957 to practice law. He served in the Georgia House 1963 – 1965, creating the Cobb State Court. Flournoy founded the Downtown Marietta Development Authority in . . . — — Map (db m46618) HM
After the seizure of Big Shanty (Kennesaw) by Sherman’s forces, June 9, 1864, Brig. Gen. Kenner Garrard’s cav. div. [US] was posted on the left flank during operations on the Kennesaw Mountain front.
Garrard’s cav. guarded Noonday Creek valley . . . — — Map (db m1662) HM
Brig. Gen. L. S. Ross, commanding the Texas brigade of Brig. Gen. Wm. H. Jackson’s cavalry [CS], had fought delaying actions with Schofield’s 23rd A. C. [US] (the rt. of Sherman’s forces) since both armies moved from Paulding Co.; Ross had . . . — — Map (db m19606) HM
The greatest friend Univ. of Ga. ever had" began his academic career in Marietta: principal, Supt. City Schools 1892-1903. At Georgia (1903-1945) promoted academics and sports: Faculty chrm. athletics from 1908; first head School of Journalism in . . . — — Map (db m17028) HM
Hdqrs., Maj. Gen. John M. Schofield, Commanding Army of the Ohio [US] -- rt. wing of Sherman’s forces on the Kennesaw front, June 22-30, 1864, while directing flanking march of 23d A.C. [US] S. on the Sandtown Road. Cox’s 3d Div. camped here & . . . — — Map (db m19699) HM
Late in the day General Butterfield's division of the Federal XX Army Corps fought past the Dickson House intending to assault the Confederate entrenchments at Gilgal Church, 300 yards south of this point near the intersection of Acworth-Due West . . . — — Map (db m33427) HM
The only slave burial ground in any major white Georgia cemetery. Here 19 Christian slaves and freed persons of Marietta Christians were buried in unmarked graves ca. 1848-1866. Only four have been positively named, servants of Mrs. Eliza G. . . . — — Map (db m15188) HM
The original structures which housed the Marietta Paper Mills ~ incorporated in 1859 ~ stood 1/4 mile down stream from Paper Mill Road. The mills manufactured news print, wrapping paper and stationery ~ a pioneer enterprise in this section of the . . . — — Map (db m53527) HM
By 1854 Edward Denmead was operating a large flour mill upstream from the bridge over Sope Creek.
By 1859 a paper mill was operating downstream, making writing, printing, and wrapping paper. Both industries were built here to utilize water . . . — — Map (db m53526) HM
remembers the valor and devotion of her sons who served at Cheatham Hill, Kennesaw Mountain, and in other engagements of the Atlanta Campaign in 1864.
Texas units in the campaign were:
6th Texas Inf. & . . . — — Map (db m85977) WM
July 8, 1864. The first passage of the Chattahoochee River by Federal forces was made at mouth of Soap Creek by Cox’s division, 23d A.C. [US]. Cameron’s brigade crossed creek at the dam and passing the blackened ruins of the Paper Mills, scaled the . . . — — Map (db m53532) HM
July 8, 1864. The first passage of the Chattahoochee River by Federal forces was made at mouth of Soap Cr. by Cox’s div., 23d A.C. Cameron’s brigade crossed cr. at the dam and passing the blackened ruins of the Paper Mills, scaled the high ridge E. . . . — — Map (db m53533) HM
Here, in the spring of 1865, Gen. Henry M. Judah had his headquarters and saw evidence which helped him make a decision of much importance to local people. Since no crops had been grown here on the battlefields and, as the surrender had paralyzed . . . — — Map (db m8997) HM
This park is dedicated to thousands of men and women who built 665 B-29 bombers that played a major role in bringing the U.S. victory during World War II.
The steps remain as a reminder of the daily walk to work at the Bell Aircraft Plant by . . . — — Map (db m30044) HM
Constructed and manned by Confederate infantry on
June 15, 1864 the location of this trench enabled the
southerners to deliver a deadly flank fire into the right of Geary’s division (20th Army Corps) as it approached the principal line of . . . — — Map (db m11224) HM
Pending Federal crossings of the Chattahoochee, Gen. E. M. McCook's cav. div. [US] screened 4th and 23d Corps movements to fords and ferries in this vicinity, July 6, 15, 1864. July 7, Brownlow's 1st Tennessee reg't., Dorr’s brigade (McCook's cav.) . . . — — Map (db m16779) HM
This little cannon served at the Georgia Military Institute from 1852 to 1864, then went into the Confederate Army, was captured on Sherman’s March to the Sea, 1864-1865, and held as a trophy of war until 1910, when it was returned by the United . . . — — Map (db m56251) HM
To the 14 Georgians who were Generals
Of the Confederate States Army
In the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain
June 27, 1864
Lt. Gen. William Joseph Hardee • Maj. Gen. William Henry Talbot Walker • Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler • . . . — — Map (db m84441) WM
3000 soldiers in this
cemetery, from every . . . — — Map (db m87441) WM
The Kennesaw Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy was organized July 29, 1898, in the parlors of the Kennesaw House on the second floor corner nearest the railroad station. Mrs. R. L. Nesbitt was elected the first president. There were forty . . . — — Map (db m1665) HM
Beloved merchant, druggist, and Episcopalian, he helped found St. James in 1842; in 1844 he built his home across from the church. His 1845 drug store on the square was a town social center. The Root home, one of the oldest wooden houses, and a good . . . — — Map (db m17193) HM
Dedicated to the memory of
who gave their lives
in defense of the Union in
1861 - 1865
Four hundred and five
belonging to the following regiments
are buried here
1st . . . — — Map (db m87442) WM
The house atop hill was one of the few battle-field houses surviving military operations of the Kennesaw Campaign.
McAdoo ownership was Jan. 6, 1863-Feb. 3, 1864. Here, Oct. 31, 1863 was born the Hon. Wm. G. McAdoo. Secy. of the Treasury, . . . — — Map (db m8482) HM