Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Maryville, Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Alleghany Springs Marker image, Touch for more information
By Tom Bosse, August 27, 2017
Alleghany Springs Marker
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 49 — Alleghany Springs
Yellow Sulphur Springs was developed on a modest scale by Jesse Kerr in 1859. In 1885, Nathan McCoy, of Indiana, built an elaborate hotel here. John Hanlon took it over in 1900, and operated it until the outbreak of World War I. It burned in 1933. — Map (db m107919) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 14 — Chilhowee
On Abram’s Creek, near the site of the early Cherokee village, Chilhowee, William and Robert James established a water-powered cotton and woolen spinning and weaving factory. A charter for the business was issued in 1846 and the mill was evidently . . . — Map (db m58501) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Craig Fort - 1785
Stockade enclosing about two acres extending southwest to large spring at base of bluff. Scene of many privations, perils and heroic encounters. — Map (db m107578) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 104 — Freedman's Institute
A three-story brick building was erected 1872-74 on this site to train blacks as teachers. Institute was begun in 1867, in a log house ½ mile north, and later moved into a new building, financed mainly by friends. By 1879, it had trained 80 . . . — Map (db m81362) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — General Sam Houston
March 2, 1793 – July 26, 1863 Born In Rockbridge County VA Moved To TN in 1807 Taught At This Schoolhouse In 1812 Attended Porter Academy In 1813 Joined Army In 1813 In Maryville, TN Studied Law In Nashville, TN In 1818 . . . — Map (db m1733) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 5 — Houston's Station
Established by James Houston in 1785, it stood about 300 yards east on Little Nine Mile Creek. From here, in 1786, John Sevier led 160 horsemen against the Cherokee towns. In 1788, the Kirk family was massacred about three miles south; shortly . . . — Map (db m58500) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1 E 100 — John Craig's Fort
Site of the original settlement of Maryville. Here Captain John Craig in 1785 erected a fort on Pistol Creek to protect settlers from Indian raids. In 1793 as many as 280 men, women, and children lived within its walls for several months, surviving . . . — Map (db m58839) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 42 — Maryville College
Founded in 1819 by the Synod of Tennessee, Presbyterian Church in the USA, as The Southern and Western Theological Seminary, its first president was Rev. Isaac Anderson, D.D. Its original buildings were on Broadway at College Street. Receiving its . . . — Map (db m36993) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Maryville During the Civil War"A shameful...fire"
During the antebellum period, Blount County supported abolitionism. In 1822, local Quakers and other residents formed an abolitionist society, and in the decades following, local clergymen preached against the evils of slavery. When the county . . . — Map (db m69452) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Maryville Polytechnic School
Dedicated with great affection and esteem by former students to the memory of Professor Charles William ("Bill Joe") Henry (1878-1935) and Mrs. Leola Landon Henry (1884-1966). Married January 1904. Founders and operators of Maryville Polytechnic . . . — Map (db m107920) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 56 — Montvale Springs
7 ½ mi. S, this resort was termed the Saratoga of the South in stagecoach days. First advertised in 1832; Daniel Foute built a log hotel there in 1837. In 1853, Asa Watson, of Mississippi, built the Seven Gable Hotel. Sidney Lanier spent much . . . — Map (db m81363) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E46 — New Providence Church
This Presbyterian church was founded in 1786 by Rev. Archibald Scott, of Virginia. In 1792, Rev. Gideon Blackburn built a log church here; the stones in the present wall are from a church which replaced it in 1829; the brick church replaced it in . . . — Map (db m28733) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 55 — Pride Mansion
Dr. Samuel Pride, first Worthy Master of the New Providence Masonic Lodge, built his house here. Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, enroute to the relief of Burnside at Knoxville, billeted himself here. From 1878 to 1900 it was the Friends’ Normal Institute. . . . — Map (db m58509) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1 E 75 — Relief of Knoxville
Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, U.S.A., arrived in Blount County with 25,000 men, Dec. 5, 1863, to relieve Gen. Ambrose Burnside besieged at Knoxville by Gen. James Longstreet. The 15th Corps camped around Maryville, the 11th around Louisville and the 4th . . . — Map (db m58836) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 6 — Sam Houston Schoolhouse
Three miles south is the school-house built in 1796 by Andrew Kennedy and Henry McCulloch for their children. Sam Houston taught here in 1811 or 1812. He later became Governor of Tennessee, Commander-in-Chief of the Texas Army, President of the . . . — Map (db m109629) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — Sam Houston Statue
Four separate plaques. (Text of each plaque under the photos below.) — Map (db m107921) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 51 — Samuel Henry's Station
On the hill to the south, beside the Great War and Trading Path, later the Federal Road, Samuel Henry, Sr., built a fort by 1792. The half-breed John Watts and 200 followers attacked it in August, 1793. Henry’s first mill was authorized in 1795. He . . . — Map (db m58508) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E16 — Where Houston Enlisted
Here, where Blount County's first courthouse stood, Sam Houston "took a dollar from the drum", thus marking his first enlistment in the United States Army, March 24, 1813. This culminated in his command of the Army of Texas, which decisively . . . — Map (db m28579) HM
Tennessee (Blount County), Maryville — 1E 109 — William Bennett Scott, Sr.ca. 1821 - 1885
William B. Scott, Sr., a free Black, migrated to East Tennessee in 1847 after increased racial tension in North Carolina. He made harnesses and saddles in Blount County’s Quaker community of Friendsville until the Civil War. In Knoxville, during . . . — Map (db m107600) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.