Greenville, Texas native Luther Bedford "Bob" Robertson (1894-1947), a veteran of World War I, came to Matador in the 1920s. He was a gas station attendant in 1932 when he decided to open a service station here. To promote his new business, he built . . . — — Map (db m104685) HM
The Cottonwood Mott, named for the stand, or motte, of trees which surrounded a natural spring here, was the site of a line camp as early as 1878. Cowboys used the camp as a base from which to work, herding cattle and mending fences on the ranch. A . . . — — Map (db m104659) HM
A native of North Carolina, Henry Harrison Campbell arrived in Texas with his family in 1854. Following his service in the Confederate army, he worked as a cattle drover. In 1879, with four other investors, he founded the Matador Ranch at Ballard . . . — — Map (db m104658) HM
The Matador Cattle Company began as an open range ranch in 1879 when Henry H. Campbell, A. M. Britton, and three others bought range rights in this area.
In 1882, the ranch was purchased by Scottish investors, who formed the Matador Land & . . . — — Map (db m104709) HM
Young and Bexar Territories
Created • Organized
August 21, 1870 • February 5, 1891
Named in honor of
Dr. Junius William Mottley
signer of the Texas
Declaration of Independence,
Aide to General Rusk at
the . . . — — Map (db m104710) HM
This 2-story jail was erected in 1891, the year Motley County was organized, after County Judge H. H. Campbell and commissioners Dan Browning, A. B. Cooper, J. J. John and W. E. Power awarded a construction contract to local builders J. F. Aiken and . . . — — Map (db m104687) HM
Tee Pee City At the junction of the Middle Pease River and Tee Pee Creek (8 mi. NNE), is the site of Tee Pee City. In the 1870s, traders established an outpost there to take advantage of the area's buffalo hide trade. The small community of picket . . . — — Map (db m104860) HM
Camp of early buffalo hunters. Only settlement west of Henrietta, north of Fort Griffin and south of Fort Elliott (now Mobeetie), 1875-1880. Headquarters of Texas Rangers under Captain G.W. Arrington at intervals, 1879-1881. Abandoned about 1886. . . . — — Map (db m104861) HM
Pioneer carrier for cattle and farm goods. Chartered June 20, 1913 by 92 people of Motley and nearby counties. One man is said to have invested $50,000. Matador Land & Cattle Company also provided bonus funds.
Original directors were J. C. . . . — — Map (db m104708) HM
Dr. Albert Carroll Traweek, Sr. (1875-1959) and his wife Allie (Rainey) (1881-1963) came to Matador from Fort Worth soon after their marriage in 1897. Dr. Traweek began his medical practice, and the couple bought a small frame house. They eventually . . . — — Map (db m104686) HM
This area of Motley County was first called "Whiteflat" due to the tall white needlegrass which covered the flat prairie land. A post office, named Whiteflat, was established for the rural settlement in 1890 at the request of W. R. Tilson.
At . . . — — Map (db m104684) HM