Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

McDonough, Georgia Historical Markers

 
Clements Log Cabin image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, April 29, 2017
Clements Log Cabin
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — Clements Log Cabin — Heritage Park Historical Village —
Turner Hunt Clements, an early settler, built this log cabin in the 1820's. It originally stood on Georgia Highway 20, northeast of McDonough and is one of the oldest buildings in Henry County. The last to live in this cabin were George and Shirley . . . — Map (db m103149) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — Detached Cookhouse — Heritage Park Historical Village —
Cookhouses were often built as separate structures from the main family dwelling prior to the 1930's. This arrangement was due to the fire hazard posed by kitchens of that day. If fire was to break out in the kitchen, it could be contained there . . . — Map (db m103148) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — 075-1 — Henry County
This County, created by Acts of the Legislature May 15 & December 24, 1821, is named for Patrick Henry, Revolutionary patriot, orator and statesman, largely responsible for the Bill of Rights and known best for his words “Give me liberty or . . . — Map (db m21340) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — Lane's Place — Heritage Park Historical Village —
Lane's country store was built in 1921 and originally stood at the intersection of Rock Quarry Road and Highway 42 in Stockbridge. It served officially as the company store for the quarry, but unofficially it was the social haunt for men in that . . . — Map (db m103151) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — McDonough Public Library — Heritage Park Historical Village —
This building served as McDonough's library from 1953 until the 1970s. George Alexander, president of Planter's Warehouse and Lumber Company, donated one of their storage buildings in order to get a city library started. It remained in use as a . . . — Map (db m103146) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — Miller's Saw Mill Replica — Heritage Park Historical Village —
The saw mill was manufactured after World War II (1940's) by Corinth Machinery Company and is a replica of the saw mill used at Miller's Mill on Hwy. 155 North. The planning mill is a Berlin No. 108 Open-Side Moulder manufactured in early 1900's and . . . — Map (db m103143) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — Ola Schoolhouse — Heritage Park Historical Village —
Prior to the 1950s, the "one room schoolhouse" was a standard feature in rural America. All students, regardless of age or grade, were frequently taught in one large classroom. This building served as the Ola Elementary School on Snapping Shoals . . . — Map (db m103147) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — 075-9 — Shingleroof Campground
Shortly after this section of land in Henry County was ceded to the State of Georgia by the Creek Indians in the Treaty of Indian Springs in 1823, camp meetings were held here under brush arbors. In 1831, 100¼ acres of land was purchased by the . . . — Map (db m14531) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — Steam Locomotive — Heritage Park Historical Village —
This H.K. Porter Steam Engine, Tank 0-4-0 locomotive is similar to the one involved in the Camp Creek Wreck of 1900 in McDonough. Coincidentally, the locomotive's number is the same as that of the Camp Creek engine: the "Old #7." This locomotive was . . . — Map (db m103145) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — The Huey UH-1H Was the Work Horse of Vietnam
This Huey UH-1H model 205 Serial Number 72-21481 was manufactured by Bell Helicopter in 1972. The helicopter was placed in service at Fort Rucker, Ozark, Alabama as the commanding General's Helicopter. The helicopter was in military service until . . . — Map (db m103410) HM
Georgia (Henry County), McDonough — 075-5 — The Right Wing at McDonough
On the night of Nov. 16, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of General Sherman´s army (USA), which had marched from Atlanta the morning before on its destructive March to the Sea, camped in and near McDonough. Hq. Department and Army of the . . . — Map (db m44079) HM

11 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement