Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Meadville, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Allegheny College Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, March 20, 2011
Allegheny College Marker
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Allegheny College
Oldest college in continuous existence under the same name west of the Allegheny Mountains. Founded 1815. Chartered 1817. The college's first president, Timothy Alden, was architect of Bentley Hall, which became the center of administration. — Map (db m41020) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Baldwin House
Two blocks from here is the home built 1841 by Justice Henry Baldwin. Appointed to United States Supreme Court in 1830. As a member of Congress in 1816 to 1822, he was an early protective tariff advocate. — Map (db m41021) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Birthplace of the Direct Primary
Here in Crawford County on Sept. 9, 1842, direct primary elections were born when county Democrats used this system to nominate candidates for the legislature and county offices. Republicans here began voting by this method in 1860. This "Crawford . . . — Map (db m41024) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Bishop James M. Thoburn
Methodist missionary to India, south Asia, and the Philippines, 1859 to 1908. Upon retirement he lived in Meadville until his death in 1922. He is buried in Greendale Cemetery. — Map (db m55074) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Chamber of Commerce
Founded in 1807 as the Society for the Encouragement of Domestic Manufacture and the Useful Arts, the nation's third oldest Chamber of Commerce met here in the old log courthouse, led by Crawford Messenger editor Thomas Atkinson and Holland Land . . . — Map (db m60448) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Crawford County
Formed March 12, 1800 from Allegheny County. Meadville, in 1788, was the first permanent settlement in northwest Pennsylvania. In 1842 the nation's first direct primary was held here. Cradle of the oil and zipper industries. Named for Colonel . . . — Map (db m41026) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Desegregation of Pennsylvania Schools
An event here in September 1880 led to the end of segregation by race in the state's public schools. At the South Ward schools, Elias Allen tried unsuccessfully to enroll his two children. He appealed to the Crawford County Court of Common Pleas, . . . — Map (db m41027) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — First Christian Church
Reflecting the diversity of early religious life, the first church here was the Central or Second Presbyterian acquired in 1904 by the Christian Church. In 1963 a new sanctuary was built on North Main Extension and the Landmark brick Church razed. — Map (db m55072) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — French Creek
The Riviere aux Boeufs of the French, renamed by George Washington in 1753. It had an important part in the French and Indian War and the settlement of northwestern Pennsylvania. — Map (db m60445) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — French Creek Feeder
The canal visible beyond the field was built 1827-1834. Repaired in 1841, it carried water from French Creek to Conneaut Lake, reservoir for the Erie Extension canal, which operated between Erie and New Castle , 1844-71. — Map (db m55065) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — French Creek Feeder
The canal bed beside the road is part of a channel constructed 1827-1834 to take water from Meadville to Conneaut Lake for the Erie Extension Canal. Two miles below here the Feeder crossed the creek by aqueduct. — Map (db m60444) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Hillcrest
Developed by Meaville Housing Corporation in 1936, it was the first project of its kind to be guaranteed by the FHA. Ninety seven industries, business concerns and individuals subscribed to the initial stock offering and the mortgage was . . . — Map (db m83698) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Historic District
Meadville's Downtown National Register District extends North from Clinton Court to North Street and West from Chancery Lane to Mulberry Street. It includes the institutional, commercial, industrial and residential hub of David Mead's original 1788 . . . — Map (db m55068) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Library Hall
Built as a production facility for the Meadville Woolen Company, this building later served as market & meeting hall. From 1879 to 1925 it was the home of the Meadville Library, Art, and Historical Association then was converted to commercial use. — Map (db m55071) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Meadville
Founded in 1788 by David Mead and other settlers from the Wyoming region. In 1800 made county seat. First direct primary in United States held here in 1842. Making of hookless fasteners was pioneered here. — Map (db m41028) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Meadville Market House
Built in 1870, enlarged in 1916, rescued in 1970 by a community drive, the Meadville Market House is the oldest continuous use market structure in Pennsylvania. Here, in the ancient tradition, farmers and local craftsmen still present their goods . . . — Map (db m85233) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Meadville Woolen Mills
In 1810, on hand looms and spinning wheels, Meadville produced 16,818 yards of woolen material. By 1870 a steam-powered mill, built here where Mill Run and the Feeder Canal joined briefly, made fine woolens from the fleece of county sheep for . . . — Map (db m85237) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Raymond Philip Shafer (1917-2006)
Pennsylvania State Senator, 1959-63, Lieutenant Governor, 1963-67, and Governor, 1967-71. The 1874 state charter was substantially reformed at a constitutional convention during his term. He promoted improvements in welfare, transportation, . . . — Map (db m41029) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Richard Henderson
Born a slave in Maryland in 1801, he escaped as a boy and about 1824 came to Meadville. A barber, he was long active in the Underground Railroad. His Arch Street house, since torn down, is estimated to have harbored some 500 runaway slaves prior to . . . — Map (db m41030) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Roddy Law Office
Canadian born Thomas Roddy was admitted to the Crawford County Bar in 1870. He served on City Council, library boards and Market House oversight committee. In 1881 he won Elias Allen's suit which desegregated Pennsylvania schools-all despite being . . . — Map (db m55069) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — The Kepler Hotel
The landmark Kepler Hotel, built in 1890, enlarged in 1923, served the community for 60 years. The Kepler family had operated hotels since 1812 at Woodcock, Venango, & Titusville before coming to Market Square in 1875. Revitalized 2003 by Meadville . . . — Map (db m85235) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — The Spirella Company
On this site were located the offices of the Spirella Company which produced made-to-measure corsets. The company provided jobs for 25 percent of Meadville's residents after the 1904 invention of a flexible steel stay by MM Beeman. Employee benefits . . . — Map (db m55067) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Meadville — Unitarian Church
A fine example of Greek Revival architecture. It was erected in 1835-36 at a cost of $3500, mostly given by Shippen and Huidekoper families. Planned by the builder of Fort Sumter, General George W. Cullum. — Map (db m41031) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement