In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous “last leg” of the Oregon . . . — — Map (db m112707) HM
On July Sixth 1846 fifteen pioneers who located the South Road from Fort Hale to the Willamette Valley crossed Lost River on the ledge underlying this dam.
In their memory this marker is placed by Eulalona Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — — Map (db m112705) HM