Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Metairie, Louisiana Historical Markers

 
City Of Metairie Ridge Marker image, Touch for more information
March 4, 2016
City Of Metairie Ridge Marker
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — City Of Metairie Ridge
A 12-square-mile area incorporated as a village in June 1927 and as a city one month later. Charles P. Aicklen, Sr., mayor, introduced natural gas service, July 1928. Gambling was flourishing, but was outlawed within the city limits. Incorporation . . . — Map (db m93550) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — Fame and Fate
Lafreniere orated before the Louisiana Superior Council "The Manifeste" a document expressing the political philosophy on the natural rights of man and freedom of determination by the people. A firing squad executed him with 4 compatriots in . . . — Map (db m112793) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — Labarre Road
Named for the de La Barre family. François Pascalis de La Barre I, a noted colonial official, owned a river-to-lake tract in 1750. Further family holdings, by 1800's, made Metairie called popularly "La Plaine Labarre." — Map (db m93111) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — LaFreniere Plantation
Part of the concession in 1720 by Governor Bienville to father of Nicholas Chauvin LaFreniere, Attorney-General of Louisiana for the years 1763 until 1769. Leader of the revolt against Spanish rulers of Louisiana, and executed October 25, 1769. — Map (db m93902) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — Metairie Ridge School
On this site in April 1909, the first public school in Metairie opened and Metairie Ridge School. Land donated by Alfred E. Bonnabel who is often referred to as "The Father of Education" in Jefferson Parish. — Map (db m85945) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — Noted Owner
. . . — Map (db m112789) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — Parish of Jefferson
On Feb. 11, 1825, Governor Henry S. Johnson signed legislation creating the Parish of Jefferson out of the Third Senatorial District. It is named for President Thomas Jefferson, who died the following year, July 4. — Map (db m112786) HM
Louisiana (Jefferson Parish), Metairie — Park Site
The site of this park once belonged to the River-to-Lake Sainte-Reyne Concession granted to Jean-Daniel Kolly, c. 1720. A series of purchases subdivided the original property except for this 155-acre park. Nicolas Chauvin de Lafreniere, the . . . — Map (db m112787) HM

8 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement