Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Middletown, Maryland Historical Markers

 
13 West Main Street image, Touch for more information
By Craig Swain, February 9, 2008
13 West Main Street
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — 13 West Main Street"The Lutheran Parsonage"
"Lot No. 1" on Jesserong's plat of Middletown as he laid it out in the year 1767. The Lutheran Parsonage and the two story "Lecture Hall Building" which was located to the front right of the parsonage and the little brick "Pastors Study" located . . . — Map (db m5301) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — 29 West Main Street
The original frame house that was constructed on this site appears to have been constructed around 1850. Since about 1885, the first floor of the building was used for a variety of Businesses, including a confectionary, a clothing store, a harness . . . — Map (db m71439) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — 301 West Main StreetT.C. Harbaugh Birthplace
This house (ca. 1830) was the birthplace of Thomas C. Harbaugh (1849-1924); One of the most popular American writers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. His family moved to Ohio when he was 2 years old. Harbaugh wrote thousands of "Dime . . . — Map (db m5302) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — 31 West Main Street
The first building on this corner was a two story, frame dwelling, built in the early 1800s. The property was purchased by the Middletown Savings Bank in 1907, and the house was soon moved to the rear of the lot. The current building was built in . . . — Map (db m1870) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — 8 West Main StreetCirca 1800
The dwelling located here at #8 West Main Street is significant as an early 19th century vernacular log building that was modified in the ca. 1930's with the application of a simulated Flemish bond brick veneer facade. It reflects the development of . . . — Map (db m5299) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Appleman's Tannery
From 1790 to 1862, Philip Appleman (1755-1830) and his son John (1793-1862) operated a tannery and harness shop on the land that included this property and the four properties to your right, and extended back to South Street (now Washington Street). . . . — Map (db m5312) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Charlie KellerMiddletown's Own… Pride Character, & Sportsmanship
Charles E. “Charlie” Keller Jr. Sept. 12, 1916 -May 23, 1990 " American League Player 1939-1952 … New York Yankee star 1939­1949, 1952… played with Detroit Tigers 1950 and 51. Career stats.…286 Ba… 189 HR…760 RBI Graduate of . . . — Map (db m107470) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Christ Reformed ChurchJust Before the Battle — Antietam Campaign 1862
Eight thousand Confederates under Gen. Lafayette McLaws marched by this church on September 10-11, 1862, heading south to Harper’s Ferry. Since no Federals were in the area, McLaws expected no encounters with the enemy. Unknown to him, however, . . . — Map (db m796) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Clovinger HouseCirca 1800
Presumably built by Philip Clovinger, 10 West Main began as a one-story log dwelling constructed in the early 1800's. In 1821 Thomas Powell, described as Middletown's first blacksmith, acquired the property and improved the building for commercial . . . — Map (db m5300) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — In Commemoration
In Commemoration of that period in Civil War history from September 14, 1862 through January, 1863 when this building was commandeered and used by the United States Federal Government as an army hospital to care for casualties resulting from the . . . — Map (db m1869) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Joshua Beckwith HouseCirca 1867
This property (Lot 11-East Half) and one to the left were one lot when platted in 1768. They were separated in 1866. During the battle of South Mountain in 1862, this site was used to triage casualties for care in the former Wesley Methodist . . . — Map (db m68968) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Main's Ice Cream Factory
This lot began as a log structure blacksmith shop owned by Thomas Powell in the early 1800's. In 1882, Calvin Coblentz and Millard Cook took, ownership, adding the Coblentz and Cook Meat Market to the existing structure. In 1899, the blacksmith shop . . . — Map (db m107326) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Middletown“Middle of What?”
Noted for the tall white spire of the Zion Lutheran Church, Middletown has been framed by its picturesque valley for over two centuries. German Protestants, fleeing persecution in Europe, founded the community before the American Revolution. Michael . . . — Map (db m415) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — MiddletownUnion Left Flank — Gettysburg Campaign
Late in June 1863, the Union Army of the Potomac pursued Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia as it invaded the North for the second time. The Federal left flank under Gen. John F. Reynolds occupied the Middletown Valley, June 25–27, . . . — Map (db m418) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — MiddletownEnemies and Friends — Antietam Campaign 1862
When Gen. Robert E. Lee and part of the Army of Northern Virginia passes through Middletown on September 10–11, 1862, they encountered a chilly reception. The inhabitants of this single-street hamlet on the National Road loved the Union, and . . . — Map (db m21911) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — MiddletownRansom Demands — Early's 1864 Attack on Washington
(preface) In June 1864, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee sent Gen. Jubal A. Early’s corps from Richmond battlefields to the Shenandoah Valley to counter Union Gen. David Hunter’s army. After driving Hunter into West Virginia, Early invaded . . . — Map (db m76668) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Middletown in the Civil War
September, 1862, soldiers wounded in the Battle of South Mountain were hospitalized in churches here. July 1863, Gen. Meade established headquarters here as Union Forces pursued Confederates retreating from Gettysburg. July, 1864, Confederate Gen. . . . — Map (db m414) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Middletown in the Path of War1862-1864
Union soldiers marched through Middletown by the thousands in September 1862 to repel Robert E. Lee's first invasion of the North. Middletown citizens turned out to cheer them on. The Union army Would face Confederate forces on nearby South Mountain . . . — Map (db m107614) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Reno Monument
Two miles to the southwest stands the monument to Major General Jesse L. Reno who was mortally wounded at the close of the fighting for Fox’s Gap in the Battle of South Mountain, September 14, 1862. — Map (db m5412) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — The Arnett Building
In the 1890's Mr. Ezra Minnick, a Well-known county magistrate, operated a little store at this location. In 1917 Mr. Ola E. Fink bought the property and built the present red brick structure where he owned and operated a general store. Sometime in . . . — Map (db m71455) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — The Coblentz-Long BuildingCirca 1800
Given its location, the Coblentz-Long Building has associations with the growth and development of the National Pike and with the Civil War. In 1768 Conrad Crone platted the lots of the entire block 2-14 West Main, known as Smithfield, which were . . . — Map (db m5297) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Valley Savings Bank
Built in 1888, this Queen Anne building was constructed to house the Valley Saving Bank (VSB) until 1923, and then served as a U.S. Post Office until the 1960s. When the Post Office relocated, the building began functioning as a private residence. . . . — Map (db m107653) HM
Maryland (Frederick County), Middletown — Woodmere
This is the entrance to the 133.45 acre John Routzahn farm, established in 1866, known as Woodmere and located on the north and south sides of the Old National Pike. The brick manor house at 400 East Main Street was the original farm house built by . . . — Map (db m5311) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement