Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Milford, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
"Grey Towers" image, Touch for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, August 11, 2014
"Grey Towers"
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — "Grey Towers"Gifford Pinchot Home
Has been designated a Registered National Historical Landmark This site possesses National significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1963 This site administered by Forest Service U.S. Department of Agriculture . . . — Map (db m76374) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Benjamin Alden Bidlack

This monument with the following inscription is designed from the one erected by the Americans of Bogata U.S. Columbia. The Americans in Bogata erect this monument, to the memory of their late-friend & countryman. The Hon. Benj. . . . — Map (db m108655) HM

Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Centre Square Drinking FountainMilford National Historic District-Registered 1998 — Historic Preservation Trust of Pike County
Sculpted from blocks of bluestone in 1911 for the Village Improvement Association. This fountain was erected originally at curbside, to provide drinking water to horses in front, pedestrians in back and dogs on either side. — Map (db m89641) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — 1948 — Charles S. Peirce
The noted philosopher, logician, scientist and founder of pragmatism lived in this house from 1887 until his death in 1914. America's most original philosopher and greatest logician, a great part of his work was written here. — Map (db m32252) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Gifford Pinchot
The noted forester, conservationist and Governor of Pennsylvania two terms in 1923-27, 1931-35, had his ancestral home at Gray Towers, Milford. He is buried in this cemetery. Born in Connecticut, 1865. Died on October 4, 1946. — Map (db m23723) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Gifford Pinchot
The noted forester, conservationist and Governor of Pennsylvania two terms in 1923-27; 1931-35, had his ancestral home at Gray Towers, Milford. Born in Connecticut, 1865 of a long line of pioneers of this region. Died on October 4, 1946. — Map (db m89519) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Gifford Pinchot(1865-1946)
Noted forester, conservationist and progressive leader. Chief, 1898-1910, U.S. Forest Service (as renamed in 1905 ). Governor of Pennsylvania, two terms, 1923-1927 & 1931-1935. His first term brought major governmental reorganization. His second . . . — Map (db m89520) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Historic Swimming Pool and Terrace
The swimming pool (1923 - 1925) was one of the first landscape features added by Gifford and Cornelia Pinchot when they moved into Grey Towers. It was designed by family friend and designed Chester Aldrich of Delano & Aldrich, who incorporated many . . . — Map (db m76377) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Hotel Fauchère
First established in 1852 as a summer hotel, its restaurant received widespread recognition for innovative French cuisine under the management of Louis Fauchère, master chef at New York City’s famed Delcomonico’s Restaurant. He introduced fine . . . — Map (db m66018) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Judge John Biddis1749-1820
In honor of Judge John Biddis founder of Milford, Pennsylvania in 1796. He named Milford after a town in Wales, the home of his ancestors. Judge Biddis was one of the first four circuit judges appointed by the Governor of Pennsylvania.

Assigned . . . — Map (db m89640) HM

Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — MilfordEast Stroudsburg 33
Named for old town in Wales formerly called Wells Ferry founded 1767 — Map (db m23727) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Old Stone Courthouse
Built 1814-15, Courts of Pike County 1815-1874. First Church service of First Presbyterian Church 1823, The Methodist Church 1826, The Episcopal Church 1866, Pike County Jail 1816. — Map (db m89643) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Pike County
Formed March 26, 1814 from Wayne County and named for Zebulon M. Pike. Its bluestone and lumber, carried by D & H Canal and by Erie R.R., helped build our nation. Famed for its natural beauty. Near Milford, the county seat, is Gov. Pinchot's Grey . . . — Map (db m32168) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Soldiers and Sailors Memorial
Dedicated in honor and memory of the Soldiers and Sailors from Pike County, Pennsylvania who answered our country's call to arms in wars of our nation — Map (db m89642) WM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Sugar Maple(Acer saccharum)

One of the oldest trees on the estate, this giant sugar maple was planted in the late 1800s by General William Tecumseh Sherman, a friend of James Pinchot and frequent house guest. We don't tap this tree, but did you know it takes 32 - 40 . . . — Map (db m108608) HM

Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — The Bait BoxBuilt: 1923-1926
Original Use: Built as a playhouse for Gifford and Cornelia Pinchot's only child, Gifford Bryce Pinchot, the Bait Box is a stone and frame structure that, in later years, served as a tea room for Cornelia. Named for the family's love of . . . — Map (db m76376) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — The Finger Bowl
This outdoor dining pool was the inspired idea of Cornelia Bryce Pinchot, wife of Governor Pinchot.

Cornelia worked closely with New York architect William Lawrence Bottomley in the early 1930's to design an intimate social setting for discussing . . . — Map (db m76378) HM

Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — The Letter BoxBuilt 1926-1927
Original Use: When Governor Pinchot worked in residence, the Letter Box housed his clerical staff. Other political activities, such as the planning of campaign and meeting with constituents, took place in this building, thus isolating the . . . — Map (db m76375) HM
Pennsylvania (Pike County), Milford — Wyoming-Minisink Path
Here an important Indian trail connecting the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers ascended Indian Point to Powwow Hill. the path was used by Delaware Indians in their migration to the Wyoming Valley, and later by Connecticut settlers. — Map (db m76380) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement