Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
14 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in Millen

 
Camp Lawton Marker at Magnolia Springs State Park HQ image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, February 19, 2009
Camp Lawton Marker at Magnolia Springs State Park HQ
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — Camp Lawton
Site of Camp Lawton A Confederate Military Prison built in 1864 to relieve the overcrowded condition at Andersonville Prison in Macon County. Lawton Prison was a stockade, enclosing 42 acres. 1398 feet by 1329 feet considered to . . . — Map (db m114323) HM
2Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — Jenkins County Confederate Memorial
( South Face ) 1861-1865 Erected June 3rd.1909 By The Wayside Home Chapter. U.D.C. In Honor Of Our Confederate Soldiers, Whom Power Could Not Corrupt, Whom Death Could Not Terrify, Whom Defeat Could Not Dishonor. . . . — Map (db m13291) HM
3Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — 082-2 — Jenkins Court House
Jenkins County was organized from territory cut from Burke, Screven, Bulloch, and Emanuel counties in 1905, and officially began its function as a new political unit on Jan. 1, 1906. The first court house was completed in March, 1908 and burned . . . — Map (db m13149) HM
4Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — 082-3 — Millen
The city of Millen began about 1835 at a site 200 yds. N.of this marker as the road side inn of Robert Hendricks Gray. In Nov., 1851 the Wayneborough and Augusta Rail Road was extended to meet the line laid though here in 1839 by the Central Rail . . . — Map (db m13151) HM
5Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — Millen Flagpole
This flagpole and flags were placed here on April 30, 2000 by the Jenkins County Development Authority to honor all servicemen who served in the American Revolution, World War I, World War II, The Korean Conflict, The Vietnam War. and . . . — Map (db m13372) HM
6Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — Millen Fountain
This fountain was originally in the lobby of the Estelle Hotel. The hotel was constructed in 1912 and was located on Gray Street in Millen, Georgia. Through the generosity of several local citizens, the Jenkins County Development . . . — Map (db m13340) HM
7Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — R19 — Millen Junction"...its destruction was a brilliant spectacle." — March to the Sea Heritage Trail —
Millen Junction was founded in 1835 as an inn owned by Robert Hendricks Gray. Originally named Brisonville, it is located approximately 80 miles from Savannah on the Central Railroad of Georgia. Thus the town was also called "The 80 Mile Depot" . . . — Map (db m103275) HM
8Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — 082-7 — Old Savannah Road←—→
The highway crossing here is the Old Savannah Road, an early route from Savannah to Georgia’s western frontier. It follows the course of a former Indian trail to the Rock Landing on the Oconee, below today’s Milledgeville. There it intersected the . . . — Map (db m38241) HM
9Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — 082-9A — Sherman at Millen
On the night of Dec. 2, 1864. Hq. Military Division of the Mississippi (US).Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman. USA, camped on the west bank of Buckhead Creek near the bridge. During the late afternoon of the 2nd, the 17th Corps (Blair’s) had crossed the creek . . . — Map (db m13092) HM
10Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — 082-10 — Sherman at the Jones Plantation
On Dec.1, 1864, the 17th Corps (Blair’s) of Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman’s army [US] moved from Burton (Midville) to Herndon, Station No. 9, CRR, and camped in and near the town. Gen. Sherman, who had accompanied the 17th Corps since the army passed . . . — Map (db m38245) HM
11Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — The Civil War's Camp LawtonRediscovering Through Archaeology
According to one source, shortly after the end of the Civil War, Camp Lawton's few permanent structures, including its prisoner stockade, burned. The grounds quickly reverted to their previous use as farmland. Over the years, nature and man erased . . . — Map (db m114322) HM
12Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — The Wayside Home
This boulder is placed by The Wayside Home Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy of Jenkins County, Georgia and The Margaret Jones Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy of Burke County, Georgia to perpetuate the name of . . . — Map (db m21374) HM
13Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — Wayside Home
Was erected near this spot by patriotic citizens of this vicinity for the sick and wounded soldiers and all weary and hungry wearers of the Confederate Grey — Map (db m13324) HM
14Georgia (Jenkins County), Millen — Welcome to Magnolia Springs – The Civil War’s Camp Lawton
In 1864, the Confederate States of America built a prisoner of war camp here. Named Camp Lawton, the stockade, designed to hold 40,000 prisoners, enclosed 42 acres. The first prisoners arrived from Andersonville in late September of 1864. Due to . . . — Map (db m114315) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 23, 2020