The 1800’s saw this site occupied by a fulling mill. During the 1900’s a blacksmith shop operated by Mr. Gimpsey was here. Circa 1925 a two-story wood frame soda fountian stood here. in 1919 “The Monroe Diner” was opened. It was operated . . . — — Map (db m24259) HM
Before the railroad came to town, Monroe had been an isolated community, composed mainly of farmers. When the New York & Erie Railroad (later reorganized as the Erie Railroad) rolled into town in 1841, an entirely new way of life was introduced. . . . — — Map (db m60267) HM
In Honor of
Roscoe W. Smith
Old Museum Village of Smith’s Clove
who, by his interest, vision, imagination and industry, collected and preserved for future generations this treasury of Americana.
Founded 1950 . . . — — Map (db m24258) HM