Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Moore, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
"Kate Barry" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Scott, August 2, 2008
"Kate Barry" Marker
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 42-4 — “Kate Barry”
1½ miles SE is Walnut Grove, home of Margaret Catherine Moore Barry (1752–1823). Local tradition says she was known as “Kate Barry” and acted as a scout for the Patriots before the Battle of Cowpens, Jan. 17, 1781. With her . . . — Map (db m9912) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 42-6 — First Erosion Control Work in the Southeast
On Dec. 18, 1933, work began on the J.L. Berry Gully, 1.5 miles S.E. as part of the South Tyger River Erosion Control Demonstration Project by the USDI Soil Erosion Service, Dr. T.S. Bule, Project Director. This project was a forerunner of the . . . — Map (db m13328) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 42-14 — Nazareth Church
This Presbyterian Church, located about .4 miles SE, was organized soon after 1766 by Scotch-Irish who settled the area. From Revolutionary War days the congregation has been influential in religious, educational, and civic affairs of Spartanburg . . . — Map (db m9915) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 136 — Nazareth Church Stone MarkerAmerican Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
In 1765 Narareth’s first meeting house was built on this site. Made of logs cut from surrounding forest, pulpit of clapboard, seats of crude wooden plank, without backs and dirt floor. — Map (db m121926) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — Nazareth Frame House
Erected on or near this site between 1785-1790 a larger and better frame house of worship replaced the old log meeting house. Used for a time as a session house. — Map (db m121925) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — 42-9 — Site of Fredonia
Believed built in 1786 by Thomas Moore, Revolutionary soldier, brigadier general in the War of 1812 and a member of Congress, Fredonia was later owned by Andrew B. Moore, earliest known doctor in this region, and Thomas J. Moore, Confederate . . . — Map (db m13191) HM
South Carolina (Spartanburg County), Moore — Walnut Grove Plantation
Charles and Mary Moore built the Manor House in 1765 1½ miles SE on land granted by George III in 1763. They founded Rocky Spring Academy (1770-1850) the first in Spartanburg County. In a raid in 1780 "Bloody" Bill Cunningham, a Tory, . . . — Map (db m9914) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.