Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Morgantown, West Virginia Historical Markers

 
201st Infantry/ Field Artillery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Don Morfe, April 12, 2014
201st Infantry/ Field Artillery Marker
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MO1 — 201st Infantry/ Field Artillery
This National Guard unit traces it origins to Capt. Morgan Morgan, who formed the company Feb. 17, 1735. It served with Washington's militia in Braddock's 1755 campaign. At the outset of the Revolution he called upon these fighting men to "drive the . . . — Map (db m73352) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Bell of the Armored Cruiser U.S.S. West Virginia
Bell of the Armored Cruiser U.S.S. West Virginia Commissioned: 23 Feb 1905 Decommissioned: 1 Sept 1920 Dedicated to the memory of those West Virginians who gave their lives in the service of their country by Alpha Phi Omega . . . — Map (db m134302) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Boreman Hall South
. . . — Map (db m134318) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Brooks Hall — West Virginia University
Brooks Hall, named in honor of Chandler, Fred, Amos, and Alonzo Brooks, originally opened in 1951. Brooks Hall was home to the University's biology department until its relocation into the Life Sciences Building in the fall of 2002. Fall 2007, . . . — Map (db m134280) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Chief James H. Kennedy
. . . — Map (db m134322) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Chitwood Hall
Built in 1893, this building was named for Oliver Perry Chitwood, West Virginia University Professor of History from 1907 to 1946. During that period, his textbook on American colonial history was used throughout the country. The building originally . . . — Map (db m134295) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Core Arboretum
The Core Arboretum was part of the Krepps Farm until 1948, when West Virginia University purchased land for the Evansdale campus. The WVU Department of Biology manages the 91 acre arboretum as a place for research, study, exercise and quiet . . . — Map (db m75114) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Courthouse Square — Monongalia County
Named for the Monongalia River, Monongalia County was established in 1776. With the formal recognition of the Mason-Nixon line in 1783, it was determined that the first meeting place of the county court actually fell within the borders of . . . — Map (db m134276) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Dents Run Covered Bridge
1.5 miles south; erected in 1889 by order of Monongalia County Court. Contract awarded to W. A. Loar with Edward W. Brand as superintendent. Stone abutments built by Loar at cost of $198, with wood framework constructed by Wm. and Joseph Mercer at a . . . — Map (db m73386) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Dunkard Sands
The Buffalo and Mahoning sandstones, the "Dunkard Sands" of the driller, are exposed in the road cuts and merge to form a great cliff at Raven Rock. They produce oil and natural gas in northern and western West Virginia. — Map (db m73376) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Easton Roller Mill
Steam driven grist mill, built ca. 1870 by Henry Koontz, could grind 120 bu. of grain daily. Stone burrs were replaced with iron rollers in 1894, improving output and quality, and representing peak technological development for a local flour mill. . . . — Map (db m117096) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Eberly College of Arts and Sciences
West Virginia University was chartered by an act of the Legislature on February 7, 1867 and was called the "Agricultural College of West Virginia." In 1868, the name was changed to "West Virginia University." As early as 1867, the liberal arts and . . . — Map (db m134284) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Elizabeth Moore Hall
Elizabeth Moore Hall Built in 1928 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134306) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — First Pottery
The first pottery in West Virginia was founded here about 1785 and the making of pottery was important before 1800. John Scott, Jacob Foulk, John Thompson, and Francis Billingsley were among the first potters. — Map (db m73358) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Ford House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134255) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Fort Pierpont
John Pierpont, Revolutionary soldier and the son-in-law of Zackquill Morgan, built a fort in 1769. Washington was his guest in 1784. Here was born Francis H. Pierpont, who played an important part in the formation of West Virginia. — Map (db m117095) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Fueling a Community: The Henry Clay Iron Furnace
Can you imagine a bustling community here made up of hundreds of people, all with livelihoods centered around this old stone furnace? The Henry Clay Iron Furnace was the fiery heart fueling this small community, and reminds us of our historic . . . — Map (db m109189) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — George Washington Stopped Here
One half mile north of this marker stood the house where George Washington stopped in September 1784 and conferred with leading men of this section “pursuing my inquiries respecting the navigation of the western waters”. Eager to . . . — Map (db m117094) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MO2 — Harmony Grove Church
Built before the Civil War on land donated by Rufus E. and Elizabeth Conn in 1854, this church was the meetinghouse for congregations of Episcopal, Presbyterian , Methodist Episcopal, and Methodist Protestant denominations. It was placed on the . . . — Map (db m64093) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Honor Roll — 1941 - 1945 — Monongalia County —
Members of the Armed Forces who gave their lives in World War II [Names not listed]Map (db m134271) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Ice’s Ferry
Ice's Ferry was settled by Frederick Ice in 1767. His son Adam, born the same year, was the first white child born in Monongahela Valley. Andrew Ice in 1785 started the first authorized ferry in western Virginia. — Map (db m73337) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — James K. Samuel, Jr.
WVU College of Business & Economic 1989 - 1998 September 11, 2001 North Tower, World Trade Center Floor 92 Dedicated By Parents, Jim & Linda Samuel, Sister, Jennifer Agresto, Girlfriend, Jackie Curcio, Neice, Mikayla . . . — Map (db m134253) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Joseph Snider
Born in Monongalia County in 1827, he was a delegate to the First and Second Wheeling Conventions and a member of the Restored Government of Virginia. Appointed colonel of the 7th WV Infantry in 1862, he was wounded at Fredericksburg. In late 1863, . . . — Map (db m104396) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Kerns Fort
This tablet marks the site of Kerns Fort erected at the beginning of Dunmores War 1774 — Map (db m134267) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Martin Hall
Completed in 1870, Martin Hall is West Virginia University's oldest building. It was named for the Reverend Alexander Martin, the University's first president from 1867 to 1875. The building was extensively renovated in 1976-77. — Map (db m134297) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Mason-Dixon Line
Made famous as line between free and slave states before War Between the States. The survey establishing Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary began 1763; halted by Indian wars, 1767; continued to southwest corner, 1782; marked, 1784. — Map (db m73341) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Mast of the Battleship West Virginia
Mast of the battleship West Virginia 1923 - 1946 A tribute to her gallant crew and to all West Virginians who have served our country in the Armed Forces — Map (db m134301) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia Arts Center
Built in 1913 and 1914 under the direction of U.S. Department of Treasury Supervising Architect Oscar Wenderoth and at a cost of $97,000, this cut stone and marble Neoclassical structure housed the U.S. Postal Service and federal agencies in . . . — Map (db m16098) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County Courthouse
Monongalia County was established in 1776 from the Virginia District of West Augusta and named for the Monongahela River. When the Mason Dixon line was formally recognized in 1783, officials determined that the first meeting place of the county . . . — Map (db m117097) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County Korean War Memorial
In honor of those citizens of Monongalia County who so bravely served the United States of America in the Korean Conflict — Map (db m134273) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County Vietnam War Memorial
In honor of those citizens of Monongalia County who served our country with utmost dedication and bravery in the Vietnam Conflict — Map (db m134274) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County War Memorial
In memory of Monongalia's sons “They fought for the freedom of others.” In memory of “Our Sons” who fought for the freedom of the world, 1917-1918 In memory of “Our Women” who sacrificed for the freedom . . . — Map (db m117099) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County World War I Killed in Action Memorial
1917 - 1919 In memory of Monongalia Co., W. VA. Soldiers, Sailors and Marines who gave their lives in the World War. [Names not listed]Map (db m134272) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County World War I Memorial
In honor of those men and women of Monongalia County who served our country during World War I — Map (db m134268) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County World War II Memorial
In memory of those who so bravely served our country During World War II — Map (db m134269) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County/Pennsylvania
Side A Monongalia County Formed, 1776, from District of West Augusta. All or parts of 21 other counties, including three in Pennsylvania, were carved from it. Named for the Monongahela River, bearing an Indian name, which means . . . — Map (db m69903) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Montani Semper Liberi
In memory of those 201st Infantry Veterans through our history from February 17, 1735 as frontier militia who defended their homes and families with honor through the George Washington campaign of 1754, the Braddock campaign of 1755, Battle of Point . . . — Map (db m134319) HM WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Morgantown — Westover Bridge — Jones-Imboden Raid —
On April 20, 1863, Confederate Gens. William E. “Grumble” Jones and John D. Imboden began a raid from Virginia through present-day West Virginia on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Taking separate routes, they later reported that they . . . — Map (db m117118) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Norman Rossinow
. . . — Map (db m134254) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Oglebay Hall
Oglebay Hall built in 1918 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134305) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Old Iron Works
Iron furnaces were busy in Monongalia County at early date. At Rock Forge, Samuel Hanway started work, 1798, and on Cheat River, Samuel Jackson built a furnace. The latter plant, under the Ellicotts, worked 1200 men. — Map (db m73360) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Old Stone House
Oldest stone house in Monongalia County. By legend built by Jacob Nuze on original lot 25. Sold 1795 to tavern-keeper Henry Dering. Owned 1800 - 1813 by potters John Thompson and Jacob Foulk. Bought by Joseph Shackelford who operated a tanyard here . . . — Map (db m64090) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Orville Eberly Plaza
Honoring Orville Sebastian Eberly 1900-1983 Founder of The Eberly Foundation Uniontown, Pennsylvania Coal Industry Entrepreneur Geologist • Banker Community and Civic Leader Philanthropist Resident of Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m134279) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Patrick Dunn
Commander, U.S. Navy September 11, 2001 Pentagon Dedicated By Elizabeh Hinkle, Sister of Buchannon & Thomas O'Neill, Nephew, of MorgantownMap (db m134252) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism
Martin Hall, home of the Perley Isaac School of Journalism since 1953, was completed in 1870, three years after West Virginia University was chartered. The Reverend Alexander Martin, the University's first president, had an office in the building . . . — Map (db m134292) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Purington House
Purington House Built in 1904 - 1905 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134316) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Seneca Glass Company
In 1891, a small group of glass-making artisans from Seneca County, Ohio, founded the Seneca Glass Company. For almost 100 years, Seneca Glass Company’s highly skilled craftspeople manufactured glassware and exquisitely etched lead crystal by hand, . . . — Map (db m74624) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Site of the Birthplace of David Adam Ice — August 5, 1767 — July 5, 1851
Revolutionary Soldier 1780–81. First white child born in West Virginia. Son of Frederick Ice, who hewed these millstones from the adjacent hill, installed them on Buffalo Creek, Barrackville W. Va. in the mill operated by his descendants for . . . — Map (db m74550) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Stewart Hall
Stewart Hall (Old Library Building) Built in 1902 Has Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134307) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — The Ghost of a Train — From Rails to Trails
The rail-trail you are standing on today exists not only because trains because trains rumbled through here in the past, but because this corridor may be needed for trains in the future. In 1983, the U.S. Congress amended the National Trails System . . . — Map (db m134251) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — To the Patriots of the American Revolution
To the patriots of the American Revolution who went from Monongalia County and to those who lie buried in the county this stone is placed as a loving tribute to their courage and valor by the Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m134270) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — University of West Virginia Veterans Memorials
[Top left plaque:] Doris "Dorie" Miller First African American Hero of WWII In Recognition of Extraordinary Courage in Battle Aboard the U.S.S. West Virginia Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941 [Bottom left . . . — Map (db m134304) HM WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Veterans Memorial
In honor of those who served — Map (db m134324) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — VFW Post 548 Veterans Memorials
In memory of the members of General Daniel Morgan Post No. 548 Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S.A. who gave their lives in service in World War II George C. Phillips • John J. Luteman • Clarence Prager • Barton W. Core • James W. . . . — Map (db m14088) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Walters House
Walters House Erected 1900-1901 National Historic Place National Register of Historic Places United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m134278) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia / Pennsylvania
West Virginia (Monongalia County). “The Mountain State”—western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French . . . — Map (db m73342) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia University
Founded by the Legislature on February 7, 1867 as the Agricultural College of West Virginia under terms of the Federal Land-Grant Act of 1862. On December 4, 1868, the name was changed to West Virginia University. — Map (db m74626) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia University
Founded by the Legislature on February 7, 1867, as the Agricultural College of West Virginia under terms of the Federal Land-Grant Act of 1862. On December 4, 1868, the name was changed to West Virginia University. — Map (db m114316) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia University
Through the hospitality of the Board of Governors, President & Faculty of the West Virginia University irreplaceable books and herbarium specimens belonging to The New York Botanical Garden were graciously given shelter in . . . — Map (db m134317) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Women's Centenary — 1891 - 1991 — Excellence through Equity —
For the first 22 years, West Virginia University was an all-male institution. In 1889, 10 brave women enrolled as degree candidates. In 1891, one of these women, Hariet Eliza Lyon, graduated first in her class. One-hundred years . . . — Map (db m134282) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Woodburn Circle
Woodburn Circle, comprised of Martin Hall, Woodburn Hall, and Chitwood Hall, is the historic center of West Virginia University. The name Woodburn was selected by Reverend John R. Moore, principal of the Monongalia Academy and later superintendent . . . — Map (db m134285) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Woodburn Hall
The name Woodburn derives directly from Woodburn Female Seminary, which occupied this site before the university was established in 1867. Woodburn means grove of trees and it described the rove of beech trees which once covered the area. Completed . . . — Map (db m134281) HM

62 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement