Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Murphys, California Historical Markers

 
Full View of the Albert A. Michelson Marker image, Touch for more information
By Syd Whittle, July 6, 2010
Full View of the Albert A. Michelson Marker
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Albert A. MichelsonDec. 19, 1852 – May 9, 1931
First American scientist awarded the Nobel Peace Prize (Physics – 1907); Dean of American Optics; Measured velocity of light, ether drift, standard meter, steller diameters. Lived here during childhood. — Map (db m32818) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — GPY 136-10 — Buena Vista Cemetery
Buena Vista Cemetery's oldest grave marker, for a six year old boy, has the date of death of June 26, 1855. Older graves may exist that have no markers on them. Buena Vista is the earliest official burial location in Murphys. In 1930, Buena Vista . . . — Map (db m66122) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 272 — Douglas Flat
Douglas Flat was a roaring mining camp of the early 1850s. In 1857 the Harper and Lone Star Claims produced $130,000 worth of gold. The so-called Central Hill Channel, an ancient river deposit from which vast quantities of gold have been taken, is . . . — Map (db m81717) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Dunbar House
Built by Willis Dunbar for his bride. He was superintendant of the Union Water Company. On the original property were the lumber office and sheds of the Dunbar Lumber Company, built on the site of A. Sleeper & Co.’s lumberyard which Dunbar purchased . . . — Map (db m16097) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — E Clampus VitusECV Wall of Comparative Ovations
During the Gold Rush Days of California the organization known as E Clampus Vitas flourished throughout the gold diggings. It was sort of a parody of the solemn and mysterious fraternal orders then so popular in the states. Every member held an . . . — Map (db m115597) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — E Clampus Vitus
E Clampus Vitus-What mystery and magic that name recalls! Mystery as to its meaning which is unknown; magic as its name conjures the Golden Days of California’s statehood. E Clampus Vitus was established in West Virginia in the 1840’s by Ephraim Bee . . . — Map (db m122664) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Ebbetts Pass Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to honor and revere the sacrifices of all those who have served their country — Map (db m66146) WM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Independent Order of Odd Fellows Hall
Built 1901, on land donated by Joseph Heinsdorff, Sr., for use by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The two-storied shiplap-sided structure was constructed with locally milled lumber, using large stones as foundation. In 1991, the stones were . . . — Map (db m32860) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — John Murphy1824 – 1892
Founder of Murphys, 1848. John and brother Daniel set up trading post; hired Miwok Indians to mine gravel – paid them in merchandise Murphys was first known as Murphys Diggings; then Murphys Camp – later Murphys John Murphy . . . — Map (db m34335) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Jones Apothecary – Cheap Cash Store
After a fire in 1859, pioneer Doctor Jones rebuilt this structure to withstand future disasters. It served as his office, and is constructed of limestone, brick, 30 inch windowless walls and iron shuttered doors. In 1867, it was sold to John Hauselt . . . — Map (db m16049) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Joseph Schachten
. . . — Map (db m33973) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Maj. James D. Savage
Member of Fremont’s Battalion during Mexican War. Established Indian trading posts throughout Central San Joaquin Valley. Leader of the first expedition of the Mariposa Battalion into Yosemite Valley, 1851 Dr. Lewis Leach described Savage as . . . — Map (db m34057) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Masonic Hall
Under dispensation Ophir Lodge No. 33 Free and Accepted Masons was permitted to meet at “early candle light” in private homes within a radius of five miles. The Lodge was instituted in January and chartered May 6th 1853. Original, . . . — Map (db m16055) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Mercer Caverns
Discovered September 1, 1885, by Walter J. Mercer. Resting at this site and noticing movement of grass near a small hole. Enlarging the opening, he ascended into extensive caverns containing varieties of fantastic crystalline formations. The public . . . — Map (db m16017) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Murphy Brothers
The brothers John Murphy (1824-1892) and Daniel Murphy (1826-1882) reportedly pitched their trading tent near this site late in 1848. — Map (db m51558) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 275 — Murphys
One of the principal mining communities in Calaveras County, named for the discoverer of gold on the flat in 1849. The objective of many immigrants coming over the Sierras by Ebbetts Pass, Murphys Flat and surrounding mines produced 20,000,000 . . . — Map (db m3887) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Murphys Grammar School
Built in 1860, second oldest building in California used continuously for school purposes. Cost four thousand dollars for two rooms as at present. Called "Pine Grove College" by pupils. J.A. Smith, Calaveras County Superior Court judge for 37 years, . . . — Map (db m66110) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 267 — Murphys Hotel
James L. Sperry and John Perry opened the Sperry and Perry Hotel August 20, 1856. In 1881 Henry Atwood and then Harvey Blood owned it. In 1882, the Mitchler family renamed it the Mitchler Hotel. In 1945, the McKimins’ changed its name to Murphys . . . — Map (db m2612) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Native Sons of the Golden West
Chispa Parlor No. 139 was chartered April 10, 1889, dissolved April 25, 1896, and reorganized March 14, 1905. This site was first occupied circa 1860 by the Independent Order of Good Templars, a group dedicated to the prohibition of liquor and . . . — Map (db m33008) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Old Segale Building
Rebuilt in 1859 as a stone, fire-proof, grocery and provisions store by Vassallo & Co. In 1861 was the homestead of J.C. Green & Wife. By 1863 owned & operated as a bakery by B.M. Orengo & Ruiseco. It is said that the baker Ruiseco was shot to death . . . — Map (db m51568) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Old Sperry Hotel
This hostelry originally built in 1855 by J. L. Sperry of Sperry Flour fame and his partner John Perry. Among early guests whose names appear on old register are Mark Twain, Horatio Alger, Thomas H. Lipton, Henry Ward Beecher, the Rothchilds General . . . — Map (db m32742) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 466 — Peter L. Traver Building
Constructed by Peter L. Traver in 1856, this is the oldest stone building in Murphys. Its iron shutters and sand on the roof protected it from the fires of 1859, 1874, and 1893. It served as a general store, a Wells Fargo office, and later a garage. — Map (db m2611) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — 465 — Site of Brownsville
A thriving mining camp on rich Pennsylvania Gulch in the 1850’s and 1860’s. Named for Alfred Brown, former owner of Table Mountain Ranch. Laws of Brownsville Mining District provided that each miner could own one wet and one dry claim, not to exceed . . . — Map (db m11501) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Site of E.C.V. Saloon
Near this spot the “E.C.V. Saloon” stood in 1853. Believed to be the only E. Clampus Vitus (miners’ fun fraternal order) saloon officially recorded. — Map (db m32875) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — St. Patrick's Catholic Church
Originally located near Dr. Jones apothecary and destroyed by fire, during which chalice and other sacred appurtenances were carried to safety by “Auntie” Moran in her voluminous apron. Present edifice financed by gold dust collected by . . . — Map (db m16042) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Stangetti – Solari – Cademartori Store
The stone portion built circa 1879 by Bernardo Bisso, called Stangetti, who ran a store until its sale to Sebastian Solari , circa 1881-83, who added the wooden portion and also operated a store. The stone section has walls more than 20 inches thick . . . — Map (db m16189) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — The Compere Store
Built in 1858 by Pierre Bonet with fire proof steel shutters and stone walls. Owned and operated by Victorene Compere to provision the miners. Restored and preserved as a private residence in 1939. Historic American Building Survey No. 1108 . . . — Map (db m32872) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — The Heinsdorff Bakery
In 1862, tinsmith Louis Robinson constructed this brick and stone building to replace his original frame store which was destroyed in the fire of August 20, 1859. In 1869 it became a bakery and store, a use it was to have over the next 40 years. The . . . — Map (db m16016) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — The Old Fisk Building
One of the pioneer structures in Murphys, built after the great fire of 1859 by Freeman Dunbar and Company and called Union Saloon and Bowling Alley. It was operated in the 1870’s by W.C. Crispin, and in the 1880’s by Charles E. Fisk. Later it was a . . . — Map (db m32814) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Thompson Building
Built soon after 1856 by John Thompson operator of Lime Kiln on Posky Hill and stone mason, who built adjoining Traver Building, and many other stone buildings. Occupied, circa 58, by Meyer & Friedlander, General Merchandise. Later Fred Sackett . . . — Map (db m13027) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — Valente Building
Built about 1891 of local lava rock by James Valente, custom bootmaker & dealer in hats. His boots brought the then high cost of $10.00 & wore well for years. After his demise, his widow Kate, continued sales with aid of their son, Leo, who repaired . . . — Map (db m16101) HM
California (Calaveras County), Murphys — William Gordon HuffE Clampus Vitus Wall of Comparative Ovations
William Gordon Huff 1903 ~ 1993 Sublime Nobel Grand Patriarch Grand Clamp Artist Visionary • Artist • Sculpture Bill conceived, named, and created E Clampus Vitus Wall of Comparative Ovations as a memorial to portray early . . . — Map (db m31195) HM

32 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.