These buildings were constructed alongside the Embarcadero de Napa by Captain Albert Hatt, a seafarer who came to California in 1864. The building was used as a warehouse and for sale of merchandise. The second floor housed a roller rink. The 1886 . . . — — Map (db m54770) HM
Historic Events in Napa History
Alan Sheep's historical mosaic reveals the Napa Valley's role in the epic of the American West. The work of art captures the essence of the Napa Valley story, its glories and its tragedies.
"The . . . — — Map (db m92524) HM
This was the former site of Napa's original Embarcadero and home of two Banner warehouses constructed in 1862 and later acquired by Charles Carpy for wine storage. Captain A. Hatt purchased the property in 1895 for storage. Behind the current . . . — — Map (db m92486) HM
About 200 feet north of this site, a short distance from the Napa River ford, stood Don Salvador Vallejo’s Casa Las Trancas, headquarters for his Rancho Napa— a land grant of over 3000 acres. Established in the 1840’s and known as “The . . . — — Map (db m84129) HM
Francis Cutting was born in Lowell, Massachusetts in 1834 and arrived in San Francisco in 1858. After establishing himself in the fruit packing business he sought to expand operations to fruit growing as well and looked here for a wharf site and . . . — — Map (db m54605) HM
Named in honor of Davis Ernest Cavagnaro, who served as a director of the Napa Town and Country Fair board for 20 years. A devoted, active circus fan, originator of Napa’s fair parades, civic minded citizen who was lovingly known as Mayor of East . . . — — Map (db m54576) HM
Near this site was located the Embarcadero de Napa. While the exact date of establishment is unknown, it is recorded that Captain John Sutter sent his schooner Sacramento here in 1844 to get lime from Nicholas Higuerra, the first nonnative . . . — — Map (db m25754) HM
Designed by pioneer architects R.H. Daly and Theodore Eisen, this church is an outstanding example of late Victorian Gothic architectural styling. It is the best surviving example in this region of early works associated with Eisen, who later became . . . — — Map (db m18781) HM
Requiring more space to expand his warehousing operations, Captain Hatt added this two story building in 1886, to accommodate the increasing demand for storage for wine and spirits. The brick facing was made from brick obtained from the San Quentin . . . — — Map (db m92523) HM
This small building was constructed by Captain A. Hatt in 1893 with an accompanying wharf. This building may have been the first in Napa constructed of poured-in-place concrete reinforced with twisted square rebar. A rolling door in the southwest . . . — — Map (db m92487) HM
The Hay Barn was constructed in 1959 after an earlier hay barn building burned in the 1958 inferno. The building was rebuilt to allow sunken drive through access for hay trucks through the Main Street opening. The building is constructed of a myriad . . . — — Map (db m92488) HM
James Clyman - Trapper and Explorer. Prominent in opening the Far West. He was with Jedediah Smith in 1824 at South Pass. Prepared the way for the pre-Gold Rush pioneers. Settled in Napa County in 1848. — — Map (db m54549) HM
Near this site in 1856, John M. Patchett, native of England, opened the first commercial winery in the Napa Valley. Patchett's Grove Winery produced over 6,000 gallons of wine shipped to fine restaurants in San Francisco. The vineyard extended from . . . — — Map (db m91340) HM
"Sewing Machine Johnson" - built this carriage house with the expectation that his sewing machine, horse drawn buggy & bicycle business would soon be relocated and transformed into a luxury automobile showroom and repair shop. In 1914 James H. . . . — — Map (db m91391) HM
On April 8th, 1944 while flying a routine combat training mission over Napa, Army Air Force Lt. Murphy's aircraft went out of control at 5,000 feet and plunged into the Napa River, not far from this site.
Lt. Murphy, a veteran combat pilot . . . — — Map (db m92526) HM
Last surviving native-stone winery in Napa. Built and operated by Joseph Mathews (Mateus), a native of Portugal, this winery produced a variety of wines including prize-winning sherry. Mathews was a pioneer in the exportation of fine Napa wines to . . . — — Map (db m16731) HM
First constructed 1892-3.
Restored under volunteer leadership of Solano-Napa Builders Exchange through contributions and skilled labor of these citizens and organizations of Napa County.
Dedicated April 13, 1985
Native Sons of the . . . — — Map (db m16404) HM
Situated on 192 acres of Rancho Tulocay land purchased from Don Cayetano Juarez, this hospital opened its doors in November 1875. The central building was constructed of native stone and millions of bricks made on this site. Over the years the . . . — — Map (db m54613) HM
The Napa Valley Railroad ran from Soscol Landing, the most northerly terminus of the larger bay steamers, north 4.5 miles to this site in Napa City. Ground was broken on November 21, 1864, and by January 1865 the grade and track laying was . . . — — Map (db m54595) HM
Historic Commerce Along Napa River
As other modes of transportation became more dominant, the waterfront declined. But in the 21st century, Napa has turned again to embrace the river. Much of the riverfront as been redesigned and . . . — — Map (db m92484) HM
Napa's China Town
Napa’s China Town was situated on both sides of First Street from this point west to Napa Creek. It occupied the area south of First to the Napa River where the Joss House stood near the juncture of . . . — — Map (db m54550) HM
The Napa Native Sons of the Golden West hall was constructed by the order in 1914. The three story steel-framed brick building is a heritage property and an excellent example of civic properties in Napa. It was the tallest structure in Downtown for . . . — — Map (db m106386) HM
Built in 1893, the Oberon was the hub of activity in downtown Napa. Patrons could buy a cigar, get a shave and a haircut for two bits, or relax with a cold beer while playing a leisurely game of pool or cards. Many a shoe was shined here. In 1932 . . . — — Map (db m69324) HM
First stone and oldest surviving commercial building in Napa. Built by Philip Pfeiffer as brewery 1875. Other uses included "Stone Saloon" and Sam Kee Laundry (1920's-1970's). Italianate front represents a much earlier style of wooden construction . . . — — Map (db m16416) HM
Built by Bartolomeo Semorile and designed by Napa architect Luther M. Turton as an outstanding example of Victorian commercial architecture.
The Semorile family came to Napa in 1869 and started their grocery business just east of this site. . . . — — Map (db m16477) HM
Napa Milling Company demolished earlier buildings to construct this building in 1932 which was later to include the 84' tall silos constructed in 1944 and the hoppers placed in 1965. The Silo Building was home to the egg candling operation. The big . . . — — Map (db m92489) HM
Built by Elijah True at the junction of the county road from Napa City and Old Ferry Road, now Soscol, which served the Soscol Ferry Crossing at Napa River west of here. The thriving transportation center developed here from the stagecoach and wagon . . . — — Map (db m54838) HM
Long considered nature's thoroughfare for pioneer settlement and development, the Napa River has played a major role in the growth and prosperity of Napa County. From its headwaters near Mt. St. Helena to its southern mouth merging with San . . . — — Map (db m92527) HM
When E.A. Winship arrived from Minneapolis in 1887, it became clear that he was a gentleman and that he had money to invest. In March 1888, he purchased this site for $15,000 and announced plans for a brick building. This building, designed by . . . — — Map (db m54531) HM