Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New Brighton, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Childhood Home of Edward Dempster Merrick Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, December 8, 2011
Childhood Home of Edward Dempster Merrick Marker
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Childhood Home of Edward Dempster Merrick
A 19th century industrialist, philanthropist, Civil War Veteran and founder of Merrick Art Gallery in New Brighton in 1880. Built in 1847 for his parents, Silas and Fanny Miner Merrick and family. — Map (db m50282) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Christ Episcopal Church
Sesquicentennial (1850-2000). Oldest continuously used church in New Brighton. Outstanding example of English Small Gothic Architecture in America. The church has a collection of superb stained glass windows by Tiffany. — Map (db m132) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Grove Cemetery
Incorporated 1859 Daugherty / Pulaski Twps non-profit - non-denominational. Here rest the founding fathers, noted leaders, family loved ones, veterans serving from the Revolutionary to the present. A Civil War Soldiers Monument "Where Past and . . . — Map (db m50288) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Merrick Art Gallery
Founded and endowed by Edward Dempster Merrick Industrialist and Philanthropist Established in 1880 as a teaching and exhibiting museum for increased understanding of fine art — Map (db m45791) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Oak Grove Presbyterian Church
In 1890 the Presbytery of Allegheny approved the petition of Messrs. Charles J. Bonzo and Leander McCauley to organize a church at this site. A building was erected at a cost of $1,270. Services were held regularly until terminated by Presbytery in . . . — Map (db m50286) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Pennsylvania Canal System
Beaver Division built 1831-1834. Two locks at Rochester, five in New Brighton and two at Eastvale overcame the falls of the Beaver River. The canal was extended to Erie in 1834. Canal traffic ceased in 1871. Few remains are visible today. — Map (db m45790) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Robert Townsend House
Townsend was founder of an early iron business in county. Being of Quaker stock, he was an active abolishonist. His home built in 1835, was an important stop on the underground railroad before and during the war between the states. — Map (db m50283) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — Wayman Chapel A.M.E. Church
Founded in 1837 as an outgrowth of St. John A.M.E. Bridgewater First church of denomination between Pittsburgh and Cleveland Original building built on 3rd Ave. Used until 1878. Chartered in 1880. Current church building erected in 1894. — Map (db m98012) HM
Pennsylvania (Beaver County), New Brighton — White Cottage
Home of Grace Greenwood (Sara J. Clarke Lippincott, 1823-1904), pioneer woman correspondent, poetess, and authoress. While living here during the mid-19th Century, she wrote many of her popular juvenile stories. — Map (db m134) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement