Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New Brunswick, New Jersey Historical Markers

 
Alexander Hamilton Horse Artillery Battery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Gary Nigh, circa January 2008
Alexander Hamilton Horse Artillery Battery Marker
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Alexander Hamilton Horse Artillery Battery
Here Early December 1776 Alexander Hamilton (Graduate of King’s College) with his Battery of horse artillery covered the ford of the Raritan delaying the advance of the British across the river while Washington withdrew through Princeton to . . . — Map (db m10010) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Alexander Johnston Hall1830
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey ---------- Alexander Johnston Hall 1830 ----------Alexander Johnston Hall, the second oldest building at Rutgers, was designed by Nicholas Wyckoff in 1830 to provide a home for the Rutgers Preparatory . . . — Map (db m62727) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Anshe Emeth Memorial Temple
Congregation Anshe Emeth was founded October 11, 1859. It was the first incorporated Jewish congregation in Middlesex County, and the fourth in New Jersey. The congregation, which followed American Reform liturgical practices, built New Brunswick’s . . . — Map (db m94036) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Brigadier General Anthony Walton White grave markerChrist Church Cemetery
(Inscription on the grave marker is illigible) (Bronze Tablet) In Memory of Brigadier General Anthony Walton White An officer of the American Army of the Revolution. A member of General Washington’s staff. Washington, Lafayette, and Kosciuszko . . . — Map (db m94019) WM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Buccleuch
Built about 1735 and occupied until 1774 by Anthony White whose wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Lewis Morris, and whose son was General Anthony White. Owned and occupied from 1774 by General William Burton of the British Army. Owned by the . . . — Map (db m8979) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Buccleuch Mansion
Buccleuch Mansion was built circa 1735-1739 by Anthony White for his bride Elizabeth, daughter of New Jersey Royal Governor Lewis Morris. Their son, Anthony Walton White, who was born and raised here, was an aide-de-camp to George Washington and an . . . — Map (db m94010) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Christ Church
Christ Church, founded in 1742, was entered onto the National Register of Historic Places in July 28, 1989. In 1776, the third public reading of the Declaration of Independence was made from the foot of the church tower. Funding for the Exterior . . . — Map (db m94014) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Christ Church Parish
Christ Church Parish was organized in 1742 through the efforts of the Society for the Propacation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts-Samuel Seabury First Bishop in America 1754 Rector 1757-Abraham Beach active in the organization of the Episcopal Church . . . — Map (db m94018) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Class of 1924 Memorial
Gift of Class of 1924 in memory of Victor W. Simons, USNR August W. Lentz, Jr., USN Basil D. Gallagher, AUS died in World War II 1949 — Map (db m62731) HM WM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — College Hall
Here in 1791, at what was then the end of George Street, stood College Hall, the second home of Queen’s College, now Rutgers University. The first home of the college with its grammar school, 1771-1791, was at the north-east corner of Albany and . . . — Map (db m62694) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Cuban Howitzer
Howitzer taken from Cabanas Fortress Havana Harbor, Cuba 1898 — Map (db m15769) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Daniel S. Schanck Observatory1866
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Daniel S. Schanck Observatory 1866 The Daniel S. Schanck Observatory, a two-story edifice which includes a revolving roof and a rear wing connected by a passageway, was . . . — Map (db m10068) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Geology Hall1872
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Geology Hall 1872 This brownstone structure was designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh, the great-great-grandson of Rutgers’ first president. The building served as home to . . . — Map (db m10017) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Guest House
Built by Henry Guest, 1760, of local stone. Thomas Paine once stayed here briefly. Relocated in 1925, became Art Center in 1940. — Map (db m8956) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Kirkpatrick Chapel1873 — Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey —
Kirkpatrick Chapel, designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh (great-great-grandson of the first president of Rutgers, also the architect of Geology Hall), was built as a chapel and library. The library was removed in 1903, thus increasing the seating . . . — Map (db m10016) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Landing Lane Bridge - 1895Raritan Landing, Piscataway Township — Middlesex County, NJ —
Erected by the Board of Chosen Freeholders of Middlesex County Michael Welsh Director Geo H Blakeley Consulting Engineer Penn Bridge Co Builders Beaver Falls PA Landing Lane Bridge is a three span, haunched deck girder structure. It . . . — Map (db m109273) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Men of Rutgers CollegeWho fought for the cause of independence in the American Revolution
To the memory of the men of Rutgers College Who fought for the cause of independence in the American Revolution This tablet is placed by the New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution on the 150th anniversary (November 10, . . . — Map (db m10071) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Milestones in MicrobiologyAmerican Society for Microbiology
In 1901, Edward B. Vorhees established here the country's first academic Department of Soil Chemistry and Bacteriology. Early studies by Jacob Lipman, Selman Waksman, Robert Starkey, and René Dubos explored microbial roles in the nitrogen cycle, . . . — Map (db m99308) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick
Settlement begun about 1680 by Dutch and English received from George II city charter as New Brunswick in 1730. This highway was an Indian trail to the falls of the Delaware and the Minisink Trail to Navesink crossed it here. It became the Great . . . — Map (db m62691) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick Civil War Monument1861       1865
Erected by the people of New Brunswick in memory of the brave soldiers and sailors who fought in the defence of the Union during the War of the Rebellion Williamsburg • Antietam • Fredericksburg • New Bern • Atlanta • Gettysburg • Winchester • . . . — Map (db m62714) WM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick Inn Site
Under the rooftree of the Inn which occupied this site General Washington tarried when in New Brunswick ----- On the adjoining square upon the arrival of the express rider the Declaration of Independence was acclaimed by all loyal citizens on July . . . — Map (db m8954) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick Sailors
The city of New Brunswick, N.J. erects this memorial to her three sons who perished on the U.S.S. Maine February 15, 1898 in Havana Harbor, Cuba --------------- Frederick Lawrence Jernee William Henry Robinson John Henry Ziegler Back of . . . — Map (db m15768) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick Station
Date 1903 William H. Brown, Engineer The New Jersey Railroad, chartered in 1832, was completed between Jersey City and New Brunswick in 1835. On January 2, 1836, the first train, a new locomotive named "The New Brunswick" traveled down from . . . — Map (db m95769) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Old Queens
. . . — Map (db m62695) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — On This High Ground
On this high ground the 7th Regiment of the British Army had its camp and a redoubt while General Howe and his troops occupied New Brunswick December 1, 1776 to June 22, 1777. At the edge of the hill above the river a battery of the American Army . . . — Map (db m41468) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded Veterans
Honoring Middlesex County recipients of “The Purple Heart” our nation’s oldest military medal My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe . . . — Map (db m62736) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Queen’s Campus1809
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Queen’s Campus 1809 Queen’s College (now Rutgers University) opened for instruction in 1771 in a tavern known as “the Sign of the Red Lion” on the corner of . . . — Map (db m10013) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Queen’s Campus1809
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Queen’s Campus 1809 Queen’s College (now Rutgers University) opened for instruction in 1771 in a tavern known as “the Sign of the Red Lion” on the corner of . . . — Map (db m10040) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Queen’s College
[Upper Right Hand Marker]: “Expediens est seminaria verae sophiae ericere” XXX MAI MDCCLV Queen’s College Founded by Royal Charter 10, Nov. 1766 Fixed its third site by the erection of this . . . — Map (db m10069) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Route Taken by Washington
Eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty ” --------------- Marking the route taken by Washington from Philadelphia to Cambridge to assume command of the Patriot Army in 1775 --------------- Placed here by The New Jersey . . . — Map (db m62692) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Rutgers 9/11 Memorial
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey --------------- In memory of the men and women of Rutgers who were innocent victims of the terrorist attcks September 11,2001 Paul A. Acquavina   RC ’94 • Evan J. Baron   NCAS ’81 • David O. Campbell   RC . . . — Map (db m62733) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Selman Waksman and AntibioticsMartin Hall, Cook College, Rutgers University, 1936-1952 — National Historic Chemical Landmark —
Martin Hall Cook College Rutgers University New Brunswick, New Jersey 1936-1952 Here, in Martin Hall, Selman A. Waksman and his students isolated antibiotics produced by actinomycetes, most notably streptomycin, the first effective . . . — Map (db m99305) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — SSgt. Frank Z. Molnar
In memory of SSgt. Frank Z. Molnar United States Armywho was killed in action in Kontum Province Republic of Vietnam on May 20, 1967. SSgt. Molnar was awarded the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of . . . — Map (db m62713) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — The Indian Trail
The Indian Trail from the Delaware at Minisink to the sea at Navesink passed through the ravine nearby. In this vicinity before 1680 was the cabin of Cornelius Van Langeveldt (Cornelius Longfield), first settler of New Brunswick. On this land . . . — Map (db m95771) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — The Raritan River
The Raritan Indians lived in this valley. Indian trails from the Hudson to the Delaware and from the mountains to the sea crossed the river near here. Henry Hudson discovered the Raritan in 1609 and the English settled at Piscataway in 1667. . . . — Map (db m66977) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — The Ravine Bridge
Also known as the "Kissing Bridge," this favorite landmark was donated to Douglass College by the Class of 1926. Restored in the 1970's and again in 2001. Its original purpose was the span the ravine dividing the original campus from the land given . . . — Map (db m95770) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Theological Education in Old Queens
From 1811 to 1856 students preparing for ministry in the Reformed Church in America received their theological education in Old Queens. Erected on the occasion of the Bicentennial of New Brunswick Seminary 1784-1984 — Map (db m10072) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Van Nest Hall1847
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Van Nest Hall 1847 Originally two stories, Van Nest Hall was designed by Nicholas Wyckoff. Two nineteenth-century student literary societies, Peithessophian and . . . — Map (db m10019) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Winants Hall1890
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Winants Hall 1890 Designed by New York City architect Van Campen Taylor (Rutgers College, Class of 1867), Winants Hall was Rutgers’ sole dormitory until 1914. It is named . . . — Map (db m10018) HM

39 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement