“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
44 entries match your criteria.

Historical Markers and War Memorials in New Iberia

A Walk of Faith Marker image, Touch for more information
October 7, 2016
A Walk of Faith Marker
1Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — A Walk of Faith
Consecrated in 1858 on land donated by plantation owner Harvey Hopkins, the Episcopal Church of the Epiphany is the oldest church building still in use in New Iberia. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. One thing . . . — Map (db m99361) HM
2Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Bayou TecheBayou Teche at PJ Allain Waterfront Park & Sculptural Garden — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
Because movement here in the late 1800s was easier by water than by land, many daily activities occurred on or along Bayou Teche, including transportation, trade, and mail delivery.Bayou Teche is an ancient channel of the Mississippi River, . . . — Map (db m116057) HM
3Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Bazus BuildingCirca 1880
Originally the Iberia House, the Bezus Building was erected circa 1880 on property purchased in 1868 by Laurent Bazus, a native of Vin-En-Bigorre, France. It is considered the oldest existing structure in New Iberia's downtown. Laurent's heirs have . . . — Map (db m104453) HM
4Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Becoming New Iberia
In 1779, a group of about 500 Spanish settlers moved from Malaga, Spain to the banks of Bayou Teche and founded the city of "Nueva Iberia," named after their Iberian Peninsula. It is the only town still in existence in Louisiana to be founded by . . . — Map (db m98640) HM
5Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Belmont Plantation
Land was an original Spanish Grant to Francois Pellerin. Property then owned successively by the Sterling, Peebles and finally the Wyche families. This plantation has produced sugar since the late 19th century and is site of unusual water powered . . . — Map (db m145406) HM
6Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Church AlleyCirca 1837
Frédéric Henri Dupérier, under whose leadership New Iberia was incorporated in 1839, along with his wife, Hortense Bérard, donated the land for St. Peter's Catholic Church in 1837. Dupérier asked that this alley remain open for his family's . . . — Map (db m129771) HM
7Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Church Alley
Frédéric Henri Duperier originally donated Church Alley to the City of New lberia. The Duperier family lived across the Bayou Teche in the mansion that was to become Mt. Carmel Academy. In 1837, Duperier donated the land for St. Peter's Catholic . . . — Map (db m129999) HM
8Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Eddie L. Dorsey, MD; Ima Pierson, DDS; Howard C. Scoggins, MD; Luins Williams, MDMay 17-18, 1944
Along with leaders of the newly formed NAACP chapter, Drs. Dorsey, Pierson, Scoggins, and Williams were violently expelled from Iberia Parish on May 17-18, 1944, because they supported Black workers, who successfully petitioned the federal . . . — Map (db m145416) HM
9Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Evangeline TheaterCirca 1930
After the Great Fire of 1870, the Dreyfus Building was partitioned in 1929, with this portion becoming one of the city's early movie houses, The Evangeline Theater., Opened on April 19, 1930, by the Theodore Sliman Family, the building was . . . — Map (db m104442) HM
10Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Félicité
A black woman, native of Haiti. During the yellow fever epidemic here in 1839, she nursed the sick, administered to the dying, closed the eyes of the dead, and wept over their graves. Loved and honored by townspeople for the remainder of her life, . . . — Map (db m85048) HM
11Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Frédéric Henri Duperier
A native of Philadelphia whose family refugeed from Haiti, he settled here in 1816. In 1825 he married Hortense Bérard and purchased land here. A merchant and planter, he and his wife donated in 1837 the land upon which the Catholic church was . . . — Map (db m93351) HM
12Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Frederick Larned Gates
Former home of Frederick Larned Gates (1827-1897), outstanding citizen, businessman, lawyer and Civil War veteran. He served as district judge in the 1870's and 1880's. As an early industrialist, Gates developed a cotton seed oil business which was . . . — Map (db m85047) HM
13Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Grotto of Our Lady of LourdesCirca 1941
St. Peter's College, a Catholic boys' school, opened on September 9, 1918, and educated young men in grades 1-12. The first commencement was held on June 20, 1922. Inaugural faculty members were Brother A. Arsenius (principal), Brother A. Xavier, . . . — Map (db m99403) HM
14Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Howe Institute1890-1933
Site of the first organized school for Black students in Iberia Parish, controlled by the Union 6th District Missionary Baptist Association, with Mr. Jonas Henderson, Sr. , principal and a dedicated staff of professionals. — Map (db m98518) HM
15Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Iberia Courthouse BuildingCirca 1940
Iberia Parish, created in 1868, conducted the business of government in rented space until 1884 with the building of the first permanent courthouse at present day Bouligny Plaza on Main Street. With the help of Public Works Administration funds, . . . — Map (db m99724) HM
16Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — James Lee Burke
Fans of author James Lee Burke will easily recognize New Iberia as the settings for several of his famed Dave Robicheaux novels. Burke, who has been called the Faulkner of crime fiction, spent summers with his family in New Iberia. This area is . . . — Map (db m104429) HM
17Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Jefferson Island
Once known as Orange Island purchased after the Civil War by Joseph Jefferson (1829 to 1905), world famous actor and artist. Home designed and built about 1870. — Map (db m105148) HM
18Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Lake PeigneurRip Van Winkle Gardens — Atchafalaya Water Heritage Trail —
A lone chimney rises above the surface of Lake Peigneur as a reminder of the unusual disaster that occurred here in 1980.More than 140 years ago, Lake Peigneur was described as the most beautiful lake in the South. The present-day lake and . . . — Map (db m118837) HM
19Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny1736-1800
In the spring of 1779, Bouligny acting on order of Governor Bernardo de Galvez, led about 60 Spanish settlers to this site, marking the founding of New Iberia. To commemorate that event, the schoolchildren of New Iberia and the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m86913) HM
20Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Louisiana's First Black Female Physician Dr. Emma Wakefield~Paillet(November 21,1868-August 26, 1946)
In 1897, Dr. Emma Wakefield became the first Black woman to earn a medical degree in Louisiana. Born and raised in New Iberia to state senator Samuel Wakefield & Amelia Valentine Wakefield, Emma graduated with honors from the . . . — Map (db m129769) HM
21Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Mt. Carmel Academy
An educational institution for girls established in 1872 by the Sisters of Mt. Carmel. The order was founded in 1825 in Tours, France. The old building which is nearest Bayou Teche was constructed by Henry F. Duperier in 1826. — Map (db m49066) HM
22Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — New Iberia
Early in 1779 Governor Galvez sent Lieutenant Colonel Francisco Bouligny with nearly five hundred Spanish and Canary Island Colonists to establish a settlement on the lower Bayou Teche in the Attakapas Country. These Spanish Colonists named their . . . — Map (db m85049) HM
23Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — New Iberia Shipwreck
The wreckage of Teche, a steamship, lies buried below the surface at this site. The steamer, built in 1860, was originally named Sam Sugg and then Tom Sugg. It was constructed for commercial use with a small side-wheeled . . . — Map (db m115657) HM
24Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Provost's Café and Bar/Clementine Fine Dining and SpiritsCirca 1890
Originally part of the 1777 Spanish Land Grant to François Prévost, this Iberia to Julia Street property with its circa 1890 building was purchased by Frédéric Henri Dupérier in 1829. The property remained with the heirs of Dupérier until its sale . . . — Map (db m104448) HM
25Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Saint Peter's CollegeCirca 1918
On this site stood the 1885 Gothic Revival home of John Marsh Henshaw, purchased by Monsignor Jean Marie Langlois in 1913, Saint Peter's College began educating boys on September 9, 1918. A school building was constructed east of the Henshaw . . . — Map (db m99402) HM
26Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Segura - Labourgeois BuildingCirca 1885
This building, constructed in the late 1880's, served as the easternmost terminus of The Great Fire of 1899. Although its windows were blown out and its second floor interior charred, the brick structure stopped the fire from spreading farther . . . — Map (db m99723) HM
27Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Shadows-On-The Teche
Shadows-On-The Teche Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1975 National Park Service United States . . . — Map (db m87097) HM
28Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Spanish Lake
First known as Lake Flamand for one of the early settlers, Jean Baptist Grevemberg; known as Lake Tasse by the French due to its cup shape; and known as Spanish Lake for early Spanish colonials who lived on its shores. — Map (db m115654) HM
29Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — St. Peter's Cemetery
Established Mar. 24, 1838. Interred here are F.H. Duperier, incorporator of New Iberia, U.S. Senators Robert & Edwin Broussard, Lt. Gov. Emile Verret, James Beddell, designer of "The Shadows," & other prominent individuals. — Map (db m85276) HM
30Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Sugar Cane Festival and Fair BuildingCirca 1951
This building, dedicated in 1951, was constructed with funds provided by the State of Louisiana. Designed by noted architect Owen J. Southwell, this local landmark, with its sugar cane mill inspired exterior and classic European Renaissance themed . . . — Map (db m99928) HM
31Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Davis BuildingCirca 1892
This building, constructed in 1892 by the Jacob Davis Family on land purchased from Leonidas Serret, remained in the Davis family until its 1936 purchase by Dr. Paul A. Lebourgeois. The pediment brickwork of the second story facade is considered . . . — Map (db m104430) HM
32Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Dreyfus BuildingCirca 1880
In the late nineteenth century, the Dreyfus building functioned as a large wholesale grocery. The original brick structure dates back to the period just after the great fire of 1870. In late 1929, it was partitioned to create two buildings. The . . . — Map (db m86987) HM
33Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Episcopal Church Of The Epiphany
Built in 1858 on land donated by Harvey Hopkins. Consecrated May 16, 1858 by the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, first Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana. This Gothic Revival structure is the oldest non-residential building in New Iberia. During the War Between . . . — Map (db m86911) HM
34Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Erath BuildingCirca 1884
August Erath, born in Morat, Switzerland, in 1843, came to Louisiana in 1866, married Catherine Becht, and moved to New Iberia in 1876. Erath was a brewer by trade and practiced his art here for a few years. In 1884, he commissioned the construction . . . — Map (db m87039) HM
35Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Gouguenheim BuildingCirca 1890
This building, having a second story gallery which extended over the sidewalk, was largely responsible for preventing a disastrous fire from spreading throughout the Town's business district. As flamed destroyed the block just east of here on the . . . — Map (db m104451) HM
36Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Great FireCirca 1899
About 6:00 PM, October 10, 1899, fire started in a warehouse just east of here. Within minutes, the surrounding buildings were ablaze. The entire square, from Julia to Iberia Streets and from Main to St. Peter Streets burned before midnight. Only . . . — Map (db m87040) HM
37Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Murray BuildingCirca 1900
Owned by the Fitzhugh Murray family for most of the 20th century, this building was occupied and leased by several buisnesses, including Deblanc and Landry Grocery, Tibby-Rouse Auto Parts, Berard Brothers Towing Company and Nick Fritella's Shoe . . . — Map (db m87042) HM
38Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Original New Iberia Fire Bell
First hung at Fire Engine Company No. 1, Vine and Main Streets, circa 1868, this bell was moved to the Fire Station—City Hall—Central Market erected 1898 on Main. About 1900 the Bernard Blacksmith Shop, later the A.M. Bernard Wagon . . . — Map (db m98516) HM
39Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Steamboat EraCirca 1830-1943
Throughout much of the nineteenth century, New Iberia was the area terminus for water-borne traffic on Bayou Teche from north and east. Barges, schooners and smaller craft plied the Teche until the coming of the steamboat. In the fall of 1830, the . . . — Map (db m87096) HM
40Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The United States Post Office - Circa 1903
Although a United States Post Office was established in New Iberia in 1814, local postal facilities were housed in rented space throughout the 19th century. In march 1899, through the efforts of Congressman Robert Broussard of New Iberia, congress . . . — Map (db m87094) HM
41Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — The Weeks' GroveCirca 1902
This building stands in what was known as "Weeks Grove" of Live Oak trees which extended from Bayou Teche southward for several blocks and which for years formed the eastern boundary of the town. About the turn of the century the "Weeks Grove" . . . — Map (db m87122) HM
42Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Veterans Memorial BuildingCirca 1949
This building was built on property purchased from Dr. Andrew Emmer by the Iberia Parish Police Jury in 1948 during the period of patriotism following World War II. Designed by noted Louisiana architect A. Town Hays and constructed in 1949, the . . . — Map (db m100171) HM WM
43Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — William G. "Bunk" Johnson
Everyone's heard of Louis Armstrong, the most famous New Orleans jazz trumpeter, but few know the music that inspired Armstrong came from William "Bunk" Johnson in the 1910s. Thirty years later, Armstrong and other jazz enthusiasts lifted "Bunk" . . . — Map (db m98678) HM
44Louisiana (Iberia Parish), New Iberia — Wormser's Department StoreCirca 1932
Constructed after the Great Fire of 1899, these buildings once housed Jake Weil's clothing store named The Hub and Schwing and Carsten's Department Store. In 1932, Justin Wormser established Wormser's Department Store in the westernmost building. . . . — Map (db m104449) HM
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 1, 2020