The core of the main house was built on a half-acre lot about 1810. Nearly doubled in size about 1837, the house underwent further alterations between the 1870s and 1901, by which time it was re-oriented to face the road rather than the courthouse . . . — — Map (db m29321) HM
Richard Littlepage III established Cumberland
Town on the south side of the Pamunkey River
in 1748. A busy shipping center, the town offered
a tobacco inspection station, warehouses, wharves,
and a ferry. The Virginia House of Burgesses
briefly . . . — — Map (db m107377) HM
Gilbert Chase, a New England ship captain, recovered a bronze French cannon in the Pamunkey River off Cumberland Town in 1816. Two members of his crew descended in a diving bell patented in 1806, which Chase had acquired the rights to use. The . . . — — Map (db m107379) HM
George Poindexter (Poingdestre), a member of
prominent family on the Isle of Jersey in the
English Channel, arrived in Virginia by the 1650s
and settled at Middle Plantation, now Williamsburg.
He acquired land in at least three . . . — — Map (db m107387) HM
Virginia’s first State Highway Landscape Engineer - Mr. Neale served in theat position from 1930 to 1957 and was recognized nationally as a pioneer in roadside and rest area development. This facility is dedicated in his honor by a grateful . . . — — Map (db m79259) HM
James Lafayette was born in slavery about 1748 near here. His master William Armistead was commissary of military supplies when in the summer of 1781 the Marquis de Lafayette recruited James as a spy. Posing as a double agent, forager, and servant . . . — — Map (db m17739) HM
Born at White House, New Kent County in 1755. Died at Eltham, New Kent County, November 1781, where his body remains.
This marker placed by the Sons of the Revolution in Virginia 1960
While acting . . . — — Map (db m17746) HM
About two miles northeast stood Chestnut Grove, the plantation home of John and Frances Jones Dandridge, where Martha Dandridge, the eldest of eight children, was born on 2 June 1731. She lived there until 15 May 1750, when she married Daniel Parke . . . — — Map (db m17740) HM
In May 1862, during the Peninsula Campaign, the Union Army of the Potomac under Major General George B. McClellan advanced up the Pamunkey River toward Richmond, while Confederate General Joseph E. Johnston’s army moved to defend the city. . . . — — Map (db m107383) HM
Lord Cornwallis's army was here, moving eastward, June 22, 1781; Lafayette, in pursuit, June 25; Washington, Rochambeau and Chastellux, on their way to Yorktown, September 14, 1781. A part of Joseph E. Johnston's army, retiring to Richmond, passed . . . — — Map (db m17738) HM
In May 1862, Union Gen. George B. McClellan led the Army of the Potomac up the Peninsula to the gates of Richmond. Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee assumed command of the Army of Northern Virginia in June and began planning a counterattack. On June . . . — — Map (db m61877) HM
Edmund Hockaday built the earliest part of this house about 1810. The house was nearly doubled in size in 1830s, with further additions by 1901 and finally in the 1950s.
The house did not remain in one family. It was sold about 1837, again . . . — — Map (db m29320) HM