Pierre Chartier de Baulne, French Louisiana attorney general in 1719, held the earliest land grant at the former village of the Colapissas on Chapitoulas (Metairie) Road. His family first colonists to live nearby. — — Map (db m92953) HM
To the left, along the aisle, is a row of burial crypts which also served as the wall of the cemetery on Basin Street. Because of their arched shape they were commonly known as “oven” vaults.
Constructed probably in the middle of the . . . — — Map (db m51640) HM
114 Magazine Street stands on property donated by noted philanthropist Paul Tulane to Tulane University on June 30, 1882. This property was part of the donation by Mr. Tulane which created Tulane University in 1882.
114 Magazine was designed . . . — — Map (db m102526) HM
On August 29, 2005, a federal floodwall atop a levee on the 17th Street Canal, the largest and most important drainage Canal for the city, gave way here causing flooding that killed hundreds. This breach was one of 50 ruptures in the Federal Flood . . . — — Map (db m92897) HM
This 8 in. Columbaid, cast of Alabama iron by the Confederates at Selma, Ala. was mounted in Spanish Fort, Mobile Bay.
The Fifth Company Slocomb's Battery Battallion Washington Artillery of New Orleans, during the siege of that fort by the U.S. . . . — — Map (db m38901) HM
The Academy of the Sacred Heart was founded in 1887. It has continued to serve as a Catholic, independent, college preparatory school for girls, offering 15 years of instruction from nursery school through high school. The Rosary, as Sacred Heart is . . . — — Map (db m95686) HM
Erected for John I. Adams, merchant, who in 1860 purchased this part of the former plantation of Jacques Francois de Livaudais, built this house and made his residence here until 1896.
Subsequent family ownerships were
Ferdinand Reusch – . . . — — Map (db m51518) HM
Plantation of Louis Allard was purchased by his grandfather, Don Santiago Lorreins in 1770's from estate of Francisco Hery, called Duplanty, builder of the first Cabildo Building in N.O. in 1769. Acquired from Allard in 1845 by J. McDonough —- . . . — — Map (db m93085) HM
In 1830 the Pontchartrain rail road was built along Elysian Fields to the lake, with half of its route through lands owned by Bernard Marigny. To accommodate settlers, Marigny and his cousin, Nicholas d'Estrehan subdivided the backlands of Faubourg . . . — — Map (db m102848) HM
This memorial is a complex of private property of the Catholic Church of New Orleans.
Located on the grounds are several buildings of which the most notable is the OLD URSULINE CONVENT – ARCHIEPISCOPAL RESIDENCE erected by order of King . . . — — Map (db m51313) HM
On June 6, 1944, the three slabs of steel reinforced concrete before you constituted 20 feet and 16 tons of German fortified coastline that ran from the Franco-Spanish border in the south to Norway, over 2,400 miles to the north. "Atlantic Wall" . . . — — Map (db m102717) HM WM
This typical creole cottage probably built before 1813, is considered the traditional site of the studio of famed naturalist painter, John James Audubon, and the place in which he completed his classic “Birds of America” series during . . . — — Map (db m51356) HM
Erected 1842 as a two-story house for Mme. Augustine Eugenie de Lassize widow of Louis Robert Avart J.N.B. de Pouilly and Ernest Goudchauz architect-builders
From 1906 through 1923 it was the residence and studio of the artist Achille . . . — — Map (db m51416) HM
Built by Bickle, Hamlet & Fox; the iron fence and gates were made by Sterling & Co. of New York.
In 1840 the building was damaged by fire and repairs were made; another fire occurred in 1861 after which the structure was again restored and the . . . — — Map (db m51336) HM
The original Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans was chartered by Governor Claiborne in 1804 and its board included Julien Poydras and John McDonogh. The bank was formed after the Louisiana Purchase to provide the currency for the citizens of Louisiana . . . — — Map (db m51591) HM
These buildings were once
part of the notable
block – long structure,
Erected in 1833 by
Charles F. Zimpel, Architect
A glass-roofed arcade extended
from Natchez to Gravier Streets,
The upper . . . — — Map (db m102527) HM
[ inscriptions, west face, base :]
September 14th 1874
In honor of those Americans on both sides who died in the Battle of Liberty Place
Members of the Metropolitan Police:
John H. H. Camp • John Kennedy • Edward Simon • . . . — — Map (db m34742) HM
It was twenty years ago today,
John Lennon brought the band to play.
This plaque commemorates the 20th anniversary of The Beatles only concert performance in Louisiana
September 16, 1964, City Park Stadium
WRNO Radio to . . . — — Map (db m87847) HM
Incised on stone:
Peace is based on the respect of the right of others.
1806 - 1872
The People of Mexico to the people of the United States of America.
El respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz.
BENITO JUAREZ . . . — — Map (db m86112) HM
Bernard de Marigny de Mandeville (1785-1868) a wealthy land-owner, served in the U.S. Army, participated in framing the first and second constitutions of Louisiana, and served in the Louisiana Territorial Legislature. He also was elected President . . . — — Map (db m51643) HM
African-American Creole guitar and banjo player, songwriter, composer, singer, author, historian, teacher, storyteller, humorist, actor and painter. Jazz Hall of Fame member. Recipient of National Endowment of the Arts Music Master Award and . . . — — Map (db m51525) HM
Erected in 1832 by Antoine Louis Boimaré, bookseller and Louisiana historiographer, the building was completed by Louis Bartehelemy Macary who bought the unfinished house in 1835. The granite arcade and lead-ornamented transoms are excellent . . . — — Map (db m51332) HM
Built in 1795
by Bartholome Bosque, a native of
Palma, Majorca; father of Suzette
Bosque, third wife of Louisiana’s
first American governor
On this site stood the house of
Don Bernardo de Galvez
Spanish Governor . . . — — Map (db m51412) HM
The design of this post-Civil War mansion of a prominent Louisiana sugar planter, attributed to James Freret, architect, reflects the influence of the French “Ecole des Beaux Arts,” where he studied from 1860 to 1862. Residence of Walter . . . — — Map (db m51519) HM
James H. Calrow, architect
Charles Pride, builder
Owned by Brevard heirs until 1869 purchased then by Emory Clapp, who added the library wing on the left. It remained in the Clapp family until 1935.
It was then owned and occupied by the . . . — — Map (db m51523) HM
One of three once identical adjacent houses erected in 1834 by Henry R. Denis, attorney Owned by Michel Douradou Bringier 1837-1850 Owned by Edward Barnett, notary – attorney 1850-1876 Remodeled and enlarged by him in 1859 Elijah Cox, . . . — — Map (db m51315) HM
Since 1869 the Brothers and their colleagues have touched the hearts and shaped the lives of the City's youth. As St. Aloysius in the Vieux Carre, Cor Jesu on this site and, since merging in 1969 into Brother Martin High School, belief in God, love . . . — — Map (db m97461) HM
The original French market coffee stand, serving café au lait and hot beignets (French doughnuts) 24 hours a day, year around. This familiar New Orleans landmark has been located in the French market since the early 1860’s. — — Map (db m95381) HM
Barthelemy Campanel purchased this site in 1806 and likely built this cottage and two adjacent Toulouse Street cottages in 1811 as rental property.
Campanel, a free man of color, operated a hardware store on North Peters Street, and his family . . . — — Map (db m51359) HM
Canal Street, New Orleans’ widest thoroughfare, has long served as the retail heart of the city. With its broad “neutral ground," it is the traditional dividing line between uptown and downtown and represents two centuries of American . . . — — Map (db m51605) HM
The cornerstone of the monastery was laid in April, 1891, James Freret, Architect, Fred Reusch, Jr, Builder. Founded by the Discalced Carmelite nuns, a contemplative and strictly cloistered order of nuns restored to the primitive rule established . . . — — Map (db m102850) HM
James Freret, Architect Ferdinand Reusch, Jr., Builder Dedicated on November 12, 1895, as the Chapel of Reparations and Monastery of the Discalced Nuns. The cornerstone was laid in 1891 by Archbishop Francis Janssens. The Carmelites, a Catholic . . . — — Map (db m102860) HM
[Cast at the top of the marker is a rendering of the church]Church of St. Louis, 1727-1788
Cathedral of St. Louis, King of France
The first church on this site designed by Adrien de Pauger was erected 1724-1727 . . . — — Map (db m21552) HM
This cemetery was purchased by Charity Hospital in 1848 and was originally known as Potter's Field. It has historically been used to bury the unclaimed victims from throughout the city including victims of several yellow fever . . . — — Map (db m87256) HM
Col. Charles Didier Dreaux
Born in New Orleans May 11, 1832
First Conf. officer from Louisiana
Killed in the War Between
the States on the field of
honor near Newport News, VA.
On July 5, 1861
His last words were
"Boys steady" . . . — — Map (db m86011) HM WM
This congregation was founded in 1805, the first Episcopal church established in the former Spanish colony after the Louisiana Purchase. In its first service was held in the Cabildo on November 17, 1805. An octagonal Gothic church designed by . . . — — Map (db m104918) HM
Civil Rights Pioneers On November 14, 1960, four six-year-old children in New Orleans became the first African-Americans to integrate "white only" public elementary schools in the Deep South. On that day, three girls enrolled in McDonogh No. 19 . . . — — Map (db m99584) HM
Burial place (right) of second wife of Governor W.C.C. Claiborne, Clarisse Duralde, who died in 1809 at the age of 21.
Myra Clark Gaines (left) was the daughter of Daniel Clark (1769-1813), American consul when Spain ruled city and later . . . — — Map (db m51650) HM
These are samples of marble slabs used to adorn tombs and crypts after the opening has been sealed with brick and mortar. The tablets were gathered from areas of the cemetery where they has been put aside after falling from neglected or abandoned . . . — — Map (db m51651) HM
Built in 1859 for
Colonel Robert H. Short
of Kentucky, commission merchant,
Henry Howard, architect,
Robert Huyghe, builder.
In 1832 this property, which was part of the Lavaudais Plantation was subdivided into city squares.
September 1, . . . — — Map (db m51497) HM
Erected about 1795 by Pedro Commagère after an earlier house on this site was destroyed in the great fire of December 8, 1794.
In 1806 it was occupied in part by John Watkins, mayor of New Orleans and by Mr. Forstall’s store.
Sold by Pedro . . . — — Map (db m51417) HM
In 1832 this site was part of
the J.F.E. Levaudais Plantation and
was acquired under French grant.
Prior to 1880 the property formed
a part of the City of Lafayette,
Jefferson Parish, Louisiana
To Dining in the Grand . . . — — Map (db m51662) HM
Congo Square is in the “vicinity” of a spot which Houmas Indians used before the arrival of the French for celebrating their annual corn harvest and was considered sacred ground. The gathering of enslaved African vendors in Congo Square . . . — — Map (db m20954) HM
The French crown granted this property in the early 1700’s to the Marquis de Mezieres, whose influential family furnished planters, soldiers, administrators, and Indian Traders to the French and Spanish regimes. Maurice Conway, nephew and aide of . . . — — Map (db m51337) HM
Built in 1828 by James Lambert and Louis Lemoyne for Simon Cucullu, these six rowhouses survive as the oldest intact row in the Vieux Carré. Desporte Pharmacy operated here from 1887 to 1970.
On this corner once stood the 1730 celestial . . . — — Map (db m51542) HM
On the eighth day of January, 1815
David Bannister Morgan
Brigadier General U.S.A.
with 400 militia, held his position, called in the British official reports, “The Flanking Battery,” and from which, to employ Gen. Jackson’s . . . — — Map (db m51414) HM
Erected about 1807 by Major General Pierre Denis de la Ronde on whose St. Bernard Parish plantation the first engagement of the Battle of New Orleans was fought on December 23, 1814.
This was de la Ronde’s city residence until his death in 1825, . . . — — Map (db m51541) HM
John “Johnny” DeDroit (1892-1988) cornetist, and bandleader, lived here at 737 Henry Clay Avenue from 1929 until 1933. He was a cornet soloist at age 12 at the Winter Garden Theater on Baronne St., and subsequently played every New . . . — — Map (db m51491) HM
One of three once identical row houses erected in 1834 for Henry Raphael Denis, an attorney.
Dr. Jokichi Takamine (1854-1922), Japanese chemist, philanthropist and co-commissioner for the 1884-1885 World’s Cotton Exposition, is said to have . . . — — Map (db m55033) HM
Erected in 1831 by Dominique Bouligny. Construction was begun by John McLeary and completed by James Crowe. The cast-iron verandah is a later addition.
Bouligny, born in New Orleans in 1773, was a soldier, statesman, and planter. He was a . . . — — Map (db m51317) HM
This site, history tells us was a favorite location for many duels fought by hot blooded young blades in the romantic Antebellum era of the South. Here, mostly young French and Spanish gentlemen settled their differences with sword and pistols. It . . . — — Map (db m51296) HM
This house was bequeathed to the artist and his sister by their maternal uncle Michael Musson. The property was at one time held by Wm. Kenner. Kenner was in New Orleans to assist Wm.C.C. Claiborne in the transfer of New Orleans and Louisiana . . . — — Map (db m51598) HM
French “Impressionist” master whose mother and grandmother were born in New Orleans. Painted many famous subjects on a visit here in 1872-1873 at Musson Home on Esplanade. His “Portrait of Estelle” bought by Delgado Museum. — — Map (db m51292) HM
This land for more than 60 years a part of the electric distribution system serving New Orleans, was donated to the City of New Orleans by New Orleans Public Service, Inc. and named in honor of Thomas Alva Edison, inventor and creative genius, a . . . — — Map (db m80412) HM
The Greek Revival design by architect William A. Freret was built for Edward A. Davis in 1859. Dr. and Mrs. Herman de Bachelle Seebold purchased the home in 1944 and donated the mansion, furnishings and art in 1965 to the Women’s Guild of the New . . . — — Map (db m51517) HM
First wife of Wm.C.C. Claiborne, first American governor of Louisiana. Also memorialized here are her son and her brother, Micajah Green Lewis, who died in a duel defending the honor of his brother-in-law, Benjamin Latrobe, noted architect, designed . . . — — Map (db m51648) HM
An important part
of Louisiana's heritage is the famous
Creole cuisine which produced such
tasty delicacies as the praline, crisp
candy made by adding pecans to boiling
sugar. A similar confection was made
in France with almonds, but . . . — — Map (db m54194) HM
In 1805 Bernard de Marigny began the subdivision of his plantation, creating the first suburb below the original city. As Americans settled up-river, immigrants and free persons of color settled in Faubourg Marigny.
Faubourg Marigny Improvement . . . — — Map (db m51600) HM
Located on a portion of the Morand-Moreau plantation sold by Claude Faubourg Tremé in 1810 to the city of New Orleans, it became the city’s first subdivision and is considered to be America’s oldest existing African American neighborhood. It was . . . — — Map (db m35124) HM
Here in 1925 William Faulkner, Nobel Laureate, wrote his first novel "Soldiers Pay"
This building was erected in 1840 by the widow of Jean Baptiste LaBranche on a site formerly occupied by part of the yard and buildings of the French Colonial . . . — — Map (db m51418) HM
The old Orleans Ballroom built in 1817, served a number of purposes over the decades. Its most unique function was as a convent, orphanage, and school for the Sisters of the Holy Family, a religious community of negro nuns, now located on the Chef . . . — — Map (db m51489) HM
Historic state monument 5 miles west on US 90, was completed in 1828 to defend Rigolets Pass approach through Lake Pontchartrain to New Orleans. Named after Brigadier Gen. Zebulon Montgomery Pike. — — Map (db m22776) HM
On Oct. 25, 1769, under Gen. O’Reilly, Spanish governor of Louisiana, were executed French patriots and martyrs: de Lafreniere, Marquis, Noyan, Caresse, Milhet; Villere having died previously.
Erected by the Louisiana Department of Commerce and . . . — — Map (db m51552) HM
Established by Colonial French in the early 18th century
Rebuilt by the Spanish-1779
Built to protect New Orleans from attack by way of Lake Ponchartrain.
Spirit of '76 . . . — — Map (db m93057) HM
This Greek Revival house was erected for Mme. Julie Duralde, widow of John Clay, Henry Clay’s brother who purchased the property in 1835 and owned it until her death in 1861.
From 1940 until 1952 it was the residence of Frances Benjamin Johnston . . . — — Map (db m51361) HM
In 1991 in celebration of the bicentennial of its first market hall, the French Market rededicates itself to the perpetuation and expansion of the traditional market offerings of the bounty of Louisiana - its land, its waters, its cultures - in . . . — — Map (db m21841) HM
Erected 1857 for his own residence by James Gallier, Jr. 1827-1868 architect of the French Opera House and other notable buildings. Here he died on May 16, 1868. Owned by his descendants until 1917. This property was part of the grounds of the . . . — — Map (db m51318) HM
Bernardo de Gálvez
Governor of Louisiana
1777 to 1785
The government of Spain donates this statue to the city of New Orleans to commemorate the bicentennial year of the independence of the United States to which the Spanish governor so . . . — — Map (db m41111) HM
Famous for its nineteenth century homes and gardens. This area was originally part of Livaudais Plantation. Became part of City of Lafayette, 1833. Annexed by City of New Orleans, 1852. Designated a National Historic Landmark, 1974. — — Map (db m82599) HM
Erected 1836 for
Joseph Coulon Gardette, Dentist
Frederic Roy, Builder
The cast iron galleries were added by
Jean Baptiste Le Pretre, Planter
who purchased the house in 1839 and
owned it until 1878.
Here on June 2, 1861 part of . . . — — Map (db m54175) HM
This handsome Italianate villa notable for its fine cast iron work was erected in 1856 by John Gauche importer and dealer in crockery and chinaware who purchased this part of the former city commons from Henry R. Denis, attorney Acquired from the . . . — — Map (db m51316) HM
Grand Commander, Supreme Council 33° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, southern jurisdiction. U.S.A., 1859 - 1891. Erected April 27, 1957 by the Grand Consistory of LA., 32° Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite of Freemasonry to . . . — — Map (db m102982) HM
For Thomas Corse Gilmour,
English Cotton Merchant
Isaac Thayer, Architect-Builder.
Sold by Gilmour heirs in 1882
To John M. Parker,
whose son, John M. Parker, Jr.,
lived here and later served as
Governor of . . . — — Map (db m51660) HM
Erected in 1814 by Nicholas Girod
The two story wing facing St. Louis Street was built by his brother, Claude Francois Girod, about 1797.
Nicholas Girod was the mayor of New Orleans from 1812 to 1815 and it is said that he offered his house as a . . . — — Map (db m51386) HM
Designed by noted nineteenth century architect Henry Howard in 1859. Significant for its painted interiors. Has more fresco wall decoration and stenciling than probably any other mid-nineteenth century residence in the South. — — Map (db m95752) HM
Home of New Orleans' first professional sports team, baseball's New Orleans Pelicans. The "Pels" played home games here from the park's construction in 1915 through its demolition in 1957. Negro league teams such as the Black Pelicans and the . . . — — Map (db m100503) HM
Erected in 1831 by Samuel Hermann, William Brand, architect – builder. Purchased 1844 by Felix Grima judge, attorney and notary public. Owned by the Grima family until 1921 – acquired by the Christian Woman’s Exchange 1924. An important . . . — — Map (db m51378) HM
On this site at 1755 St. Charles Avenue in May 1941, Andrew Jackson Higgins and Higgins Industries Inc. designed and produced America’s first successful tank landing craft. Here Higgins produced his shallow draft "Eureka" work boats, which evolved . . . — — Map (db m54114) HM
On June 7, 1892, Homer Adolph Plessy defied a Louisiana law that segregated railroad trains on the basis of race. He was arrested and became the defendant in the May 18, 1896 United States Supreme Court decision of Plessy v. Ferguson, which condoned . . . — — Map (db m13036) HM
1700Fr. Paul Du Ru, S.J., Missionary Reconnoiters Future City of New Orleans 1722Fr. Pierre F.X. De Charlevoix,S.J., inspects region for French Crown 1723Fr. Joseph François De Kereben, S.J., First Superior of local Jesuit Mission. 1763Society . . . — — Map (db m105942) HM
This memorial honors all American veterans who, although separated by generations, shared a common undeniable goal – to valiantly protect our country’s freedoms.
The memories of these American veterans will continue to live on whenever and . . . — — Map (db m51294) HM
In the Protestant Section of this cemetery were interred
Benjamin Henry Boneval Latrobe
Born – Fulneck, England, May 1, 1764
Died – New Orleans, September 3, 1820
Founder of the architectural profession in America
Architect of . . . — — Map (db m52070) HM
This imposing complex was assembled out of old buildings (one by architect James Gallier, dating to 1835) and new construction from between 1912 and 1920. As the Unione Italiana, which combined many Italian benevolent societies, it was the home of . . . — — Map (db m51987) HM
This architectural masterpiece is the most notable of the many multi-vaulted society tombs in the cemetery. Designed by Pietro Gualdi it was fabricated in Italy and erected in 1857 at a cost of $40,000. Ownership was ceded to the cemetery in 1986 by . . . — — Map (db m86109) HM
Jackson Square has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935.
This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and interpreting the . . . — — Map (db m21859) HM
This site is in the area which has been called the birthplace of jazz. It was a center of social clubs, saloons, honky-tonks, bakeries, pawn shops, and barber shops where the musicians met during the early years of the twentieth-century. . . . — — Map (db m81105) HM
Erected together with the adjacent building at 525 St. Louis Street by Etienne Debon who acquired both properties in 1807 from Jean Etienne Boré, Claude Gerlie and Joseph Guillot, buiders.
This half of the Debon Building was extensively remodeled . . . — — Map (db m51548) HM
Originally a part of Jefferson Parish, this area was incorporated as Jefferson City in 1850. By 1860 its population was 5,107, including 131 free black citizens. It was annexed by the City of New Orleans in 1870. — — Map (db m13039) HM
Born at Fairview, KY. June 3, 1808
U.S. Army 1828-1835
Served in Black Hawk War
Congressman U.S. 1845-1846
Colonel Mississippi Volunteers in War with Mexico
Rendered Gallant Service in the taking of Monterey and Buena Vista where he was . . . — — Map (db m51521) HM
"I wasn't born to material wealth, nor do I have claim to an aristocratic name. But if I am elected governor, it will prove any mother's son can aspire to the highest political office of the state. I've come this far because you the people have . . . — — Map (db m105948) HM
Fred J. Cassibry (1918-1996), U.S. Navy WWII veteran, served on the New Orleans City Council, Orleans District Court, U.S. District Court, E.D. La., and the Louisiana Economic Development and Gaming Corporation. Throughout his 40 years of public . . . — — Map (db m51333) HM
Thirteen Identical Residences
Erected 1832-33 for the
New Orleans Building Company
James H. Dakin, Architect
Alexander T. Wood, Supervising Architect
Daniel H. Twogood, Builder
Many prominent families lived here
and the . . . — — Map (db m102529) HM
On this site in 1734 stood the residence of François Fleuriau, Attorney General of the Superior Council of the French colony of Louisiana, a native of Rennes in Brittany. This building erected in 1840 as one of a group of eleven by Madame Melasie . . . — — Map (db m51415) HM
Established in 1833 by the City of Lafayette
The square was acquired from Cornelius Hurst and the cemetery laid out by Benjamin Buisson, city surveyor.
This was part of the Livaudais Plantation which had been subdivided into city squares in . . . — — Map (db m51493) HM
(Obverse) Planned in 1788 as a public place for Faubourg Ste. Marie, the City's first suburb, this Square honors American Revolutionary War Hero, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, Marquis de Lafayette. He declined the invitation . . . — — Map (db m20965) HM
English: Traveled on by Iberville, 1699 and named for French Minister of Marine. Indians called it Okwa-ta, wide water. First port of embarkation was at the site where Bayou St. John flows from this lake. It was first water travel route to . . . — — Map (db m99490) HM
In 1836, renowned New Orleans architect James Gallier built these two buildings, 631 & 635 St. Charles Avenue along with the one on the right and the one that was on the corner for Samuel Morse for the sum of $20,000.00.
In 1978-79, after . . . — — Map (db m51595) HM
by Joseph Le Carpentier Auctioneer, (Grandfather of Paul Morphy
World’s Chess Champion).
Francois Correjolles, Architect.
James Lambert, Builder.
Sold in 1833 to John A. Merle
who built the adjacent garden
which . . . — — Map (db m51314) HM
Residence in the 1920s of Sherwood Anderson, author of “Winesburg, Ohio.” While living here, Anderson hosted literary salons that powered the careers of William Faulkner, Gertrude Stein, Carl Sandburg and John Dos Passos.
Dedicated . . . — — Map (db m51546) HM
On August 29, 2005, tidal surge from Hurricane Katrina exposed design flaws in the London Avenue Canal floodwall, part of the Federal Flood Protection System. The floodwater killed many Gentilly residents and their beloved pets. The breach was one . . . — — Map (db m46064) HM
In this shop on this site
Louis J. Dufilho
Practiced pharmacy as one of the first of his profession to have been licensed in the United States (no later than 1816). Pharmacist Dufilho symbolizes the beginning of a system of certifying the . . . — — Map (db m51419) HM
[Logo of the Orleans Parish Landmarks Commission] Erected 1850 - 1851
by Micaela Almonster Baroness De Pontalba
working first with James Gallier, architect, and then with Henry Howard, architect.
Samuel Stewart, builder. . . . — — Map (db m34846) HM
Maison Hospitalière, or “Hospitality House,” is a non-profit, non sectarian nursing home. It is dedicated to providing quality, individualized assistance in a homelike atmosphere to elderly women and men without regard to their creed, . . . — — Map (db m51360) HM
In 1832 this site was a part of Jefferson Parish and was known as the Livaudais Plantation. In the late 90’s it was occupied as an English Apothecary and owned by R.N. Girland. Restored by Fannie Mae Goldman, 1960 — — Map (db m51495) HM
Margaret’s Place and Walk
Margaret’s Place and Walk honors Irish Immigrant Margaret Gaffney Haughery (1813-1882), who devoted her life to orphaned children and the needy. An orphan herself, Margaret lost her husband and baby to illness. . . . — — Map (db m38640) HM
This Greek revival tomb is reputed burial place of this notorious "Voodoo Queen". A mystic cult, Voodooism, of African origin, was brought to this city from Santo Domingo and flourished in 19th century. Marie Laveau was the most widely known of many . . . — — Map (db m13699) HM
"This residence and grounds are named in honor of Marvin E. Thames, Ph.D., who served this college in the following manner: Director of Isaac Delgado Trades School from 1954 to 1958; Dean and President of Delgado Trades and Technical Institute from . . . — — Map (db m86198) HM
This church came into being in 1899, when the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, established in the Town of Carrollton in 1848, and the Mater Dolorosa German Church, which dated from 1871, were united into a single parish. With the . . . — — Map (db m103547) HM
Described in 1859 as “a handsome cottage residence,” this Greek Revival house was erected for Lothrop Lewis Smith who purchased the site in 1853. It was his residence until he left New Orleans in 1859 and sold the house in 1861 to Mrs. . . . — — Map (db m51524) HM
Erected in 1792 on the site of the first barracks forges and workshops of the Company of the Indies, the house was the only building in the area of destruction to escape the Great Fire of 1794.
In 1832 it was remodeled in the style of the period . . . — — Map (db m51331) HM
First highway through this city led from lower Kenner to Chef Menteur. Mississippi River, during prehistoric days, overflowed into Lake Pontchartrain. The receding waters created these ridges and their accompanying bayous which connected, at City . . . — — Map (db m92002) HM
Dedicated for cemetery purposes
July 2, 1872
Recognized as one of the world's
most unique and beautiful cemeteries
Approximately 150 acres
Formerly the Metairie Race Course
Scene of the famous match races
between LeCompte and . . . — — Map (db m87275) HM
One of the oldest burial grounds in the Mississippi Valley, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 is still in use. From its beginning in 1789 it has been the custom to make multiple burials in the tombs and vaults when space in a tomb is re-used the remains of . . . — — Map (db m51653) HM
New Orleans maps, as early as 1720, all reveal the presence of earlier buildings on this historic site. During the time of Spanish Rule, after the Great Conflagrations of 1788 and 1794, Casa Quinones was erected in 1795 by Don Estevan de Quinones, a . . . — — Map (db m51377) HM
On January 7, 1815, the eve of the Battle of New Orleans, Ursulines and townsfolk prayed for victory, before the Virgin's statue, now in this National Shrine of Our Lady of Prompt Succor. Ever after, first St. Louis Cathedral and since 1851 in the . . . — — Map (db m104776) HM
First sighted as Indian portage to Lake Pontchartrain and Gulf in 1699 by Bienville and Iberville. Founded by Bienville in 1718; named by him in honor of the Duke of Orleans, Regent of France. Called the Crescent City because of location in bend of . . . — — Map (db m12679) HM
Erected 1842 by Samuel Holden and John Cuminger, builders for Nicholas Bertoli, grocer.
Occupied as the Pacific Concert Salon, 1855-1876.
Owned by the family of Jean Louis Tissot, 1876-1897.
Its granite columns are typical of the 1840’s Greek . . . — — Map (db m51387) HM
Erected A.D. 1919 by the people of this the Ninth Ward in honor of its citizens who were enlisted in combative service and in memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice for the triumph of right over might in the Great World War.
White men . . . — — Map (db m95670) WM
Here stood the Olivier House from ca. 1820 to 1949. Built by Paris-born David Olivier, the large Creole-style residence presided over a sugar cane plantation for barely a decade. In 1835 the house became heart of the St. Mary's Orphan Boys Asylum, . . . — — Map (db m95749) HM
A tradition in the french quarters. This is the
bar known to travelers the world over. From it
came the famous absinthe drip. The bar where
Jean E Pierre LaFitte, Andrew Jackson,
Mark Twain and other celebrities were . . . — — Map (db m54858) HM
Within this historic structures slaves were sold and Andrew Jackson met with the Lafitte Brothers and planned the defense for the historic and epic Battle of New Orleans. At this monumental battle the British surrendered to American troops commanded . . . — — Map (db m51385) HM
Within this burial memorial rest some of the gallant defenders of New Orleans, members of the battalion which fought in honor on the plains of Chalmette on January 8 1815 against the British invaders.
Date of construction is unknown. Restored in . . . — — Map (db m51866) HM
About 1834, Évariste Blanc had this Greek Revival mansion built on his Bayou St. John estate. His widow, Marie Fannie Labatut Blanc, planned to give the property to the Archdiocese of New Orleans for a parish church as early as 1855 .Fifty years . . . — — Map (db m104705) HM
This historical building that is home to Pat O’Brien’s Bar was built in 1791 as a private home that became the first Spanish Theater in the United States. It was later purchased by the Deflechie family as their residence until the building was . . . — — Map (db m51376) HM
In 1835 Louis Pecquet purchased this site and likely replaced the existing Spanish Colonial buildings shortly thereafter with the present Greek Revival shop-residence.
During the late 1830s, the shop housed a dry goods store, then a milliner and . . . — — Map (db m51599) HM
Pierre Pedesclaux, prominent notary purchased this site in 1795 and began construction of this house. Its design is attributed to Barthelemy Lafon architect, whose office was here in 1805. Purchased in 1811 by Dr. Yves Réné Lemonnier and François . . . — — Map (db m51323) HM
On June 7, 1892, Homer Aldolph Plessy was removed from the East Louisiana Railroad train and arrested by Detective C.C. Cain at the corner of Royal and Press St. He was charged with violating the 1890 Louisiana Separate Car Act . . . — — Map (db m95889) HM
Erected about 1825 by Jean Felix Pinson and Maurice Pizetta, builder, sold by them in 1827 to Giraud M. Plique. Acquired in 1829 by Jean Baptiste La Branche, planter of St. Charles Parish, and occupied as his city residence until his death in . . . — — Map (db m51365) HM
In 1805 an area at the rear of the cemetery was assigned to Christ Church (Episcopal) for the burial of non-Catholics. More extensive originally, all that remains of the Protestant section is the area between these wall vaults, the brick walls to . . . — — Map (db m51644) HM
Land grant from King Louis XV of France to Bienville’s Lieutenant, Louis Boucher de Granpré circa, 1725. In 1775 the tract was sold to Chevalier Jean Lavillebeuvre, “Sieur de Garrios”, Indian agent for the Colony from 1780 to 1797. . . . — — Map (db m51526) HM
In this building Robert Nash Girling established his “English Apothecary” which he operated from the 1880s-1890s. An Englishman by birth, Girling studied pharmacy in England and at the Ecole de Pharmacie in Paris. In the early 1870s he . . . — — Map (db m51661) HM
the St. Charles Avenue
Methodist Church South
Charles L. Hillger, Architect
James Cox, Builder
Robert Walker Rayne
purchased the site
and made a major contribution
to the cost of its erection
in memory of his son . . . — — Map (db m88787) HM
On Monday, September 25, 2006, Steve Gleason was responsible for one of the most dramatic moments in New Orleans Saints history. He blocked a punt in the first quarter of the team's return to the Superdome following Hurricane Katrina. That night, . . . — — Map (db m105944) HM
Erected 1788 in the French colonial style Robert Jones, an American, builder. Site of the birthplace of Renato Beluche (1781-1860) a lieutenant of Jean Lafitte’s Baratarians who participated in the Battle of New Orleans Later Admiral of the . . . — — Map (db m51319) HM
For Vincent Rillieux – 1740-1800
New Orleans merchant and great-grandfather of Edgar Degas, noted French artist
The design of the house is attributed to Barthelemy Lafon – 1769-1820 architect, builder, surveyor . . . — — Map (db m51335) HM
In 1841, this parish was established for the inhabitants of Faubourg Tremé. The joint beneficence of Bishop Antoine Blanc and the Ursuline nuns made possible acquisition of property and erection of the church. Until 1925, the buildings of the . . . — — Map (db m35056) HM
This building replaced an earlier church, erected in 1844 on Common St. (Tulane Ave.) opposite the Charity Hospital of Louisiana. Ground-breaking for the present edifice took place May 9, 1869. Construction continued intermittently until . . . — — Map (db m104713) HM
In 1852, Most Rev. Antoine Blanc, newly raised to the rank of first Archbishop of New Orleans, founded St. Maurice Parish to serve Fabourg La Course below the Ursuline Convent, then on Jourdan Ave. L'Abbé Napoleon
J. Perché, convent chaplain and . . . — — Map (db m99226) HM
by Bishop Leo De Neckere, C.M.
This church, completed in 1840
during the pastorate of
Father James I. Mullon,
is the oldest parish church
outside the French Quarter.
St. Patrick's served
as . . . — — Map (db m55702) HM
Site of the first permanent Jewish house of worship in the State of Louisiana, Gates of Mercy Synagogue, 1845; located at 410-420 N. Rampart St. Gates of Mercy, chartered by the State in 1827, confirmed the abolition of the Code Noir, which had . . . — — Map (db m13167) HM
This bronze bust of Sidney Bechet is a faithful copy of the original by French sculptor Abel Chrétien. The original erected in 1960, a year after Bechet’s death in Juan-Les-Fins, France. This town was named in 1994 as a . . . — — Map (db m21987) HM
On this site Father Raphael de Luxembourg Capuchin Pastor of the parish Church of St. Louis (later the Cathedral) opened the first school in French Colonial Louisiana. Classes in reading, writing, music, French, Latin and religion were conducted for . . . — — Map (db m51321) HM
In 1792 the Spanish Colonial Government built a boy's public school on this site. After the Louisiana Purchase it served as the first United States District Court of the Louisiana Territory.
Here in 1815, after the Battle of New Orleans General . . . — — Map (db m84177) HM
On this site between August 1941 and August 1945, the City Park Plant of Higgins Industries, Incorporated mass produced more than 12,000 landing craft and approximately 200 PT boats for the Allied Forces. The Higgins landing boats revolutionized . . . — — Map (db m87552) HM
Jean-Daniel Kolly, banking councillor to the Elector of Bavaria and large investor in the Company of the Indies, had a townhouse built on this site shortly after the founding of New Orleans in 1718. The Sainte-Reyne, concession upriver, controlled . . . — — Map (db m51381) HM
The first St. Charles Theater, built by James Caldwell with Antonio Mondelli as architect, opened on this site November 30, 1835. It seated over 4,000 and was one of the largest theaters in the world. The American premieres of Bellini’s Norma took . . . — — Map (db m51592) HM
Located in the Faubourg Marigny, from the corner of Esplanade Ave. and Chartres St., is the former site of Theophilus Freeman's notorious slave pen (demolished after the Civil War) where Solomon Northup, a free man of color from New York, was sold . . . — — Map (db m104704) HM
Founded in 1869 by the Brothers of the Sacred Heart on Chartres Street in the Vieux Carré, St. Aloysius College moved in 1892 to a building on Rampart Street, then in 1925 to a new building at the corner of Esplanade Avenue and Rampart Street, St. . . . — — Map (db m102859) HM
The first of three great churches built by The Redemptorists for Catholics in the Irish Channel. St. Alphonsus for the Irish, St. Mary's Assumption for the Germans and Notre Dame de bon Secours for the French. Design by Baltimore architect Louis . . . — — Map (db m105018) HM
The New Orleans & Carrollton R.R. Co. began passenger train service on September 26, 1835. Steam-powered trains and mule drawn cars transported New Orleanians between Canal and Carrollton via St. Charles Avenue.
Improved technology led to the . . . — — Map (db m51594) HM
The oldest extant cemetery in New Orleans. Established by Royal Spanish land grant August 14, 1789. Originally outside city limits and double its present size this sacred ground reflects the early culture and history of the Crescent City. A small . . . — — Map (db m13501) HM
Parish was the second
established in New Orleans
The first church on this
site was dedicated April 21,
1833 The cornerstone of the
present edifice was laid
July 1, 1838, by Bishop Antoine
Blanc. During the pastorate
of Father James . . . — — Map (db m55572) HM
Has Been Designated A
This Site Possesses National Significance
in Commemorating the History of the
United States of America
National Park Service
United States Department . . . — — Map (db m55149) HM
When the Faubourgs of uptown New Orleans were subdivided in 1838, Bishop Antoine Blanc accepted a donation from the estate of Mrs. Theresa Perie Saulet, of a square in Faubourg Saulet "for charitable purposes." It was her wish that a church bear . . . — — Map (db m104904) HM
In 1838, Bishop Antoine Blanc established the first parish for the Creole Faubourgs or suburbs comprising the Third Municipal District of New Orleans. He named the new parish after the secondary patron of the Diocese, St. Vincent De Paul. The . . . — — Map (db m104932) HM
From this corner on February 24, 1857, the Mistick Krewe of Comus began its first parade, heading up Julia Street toward St. Charles Avenue. With that parade, Mardi Gras was solidified as a New Orleans tradition that ultimately influenced . . . — — Map (db m54937) HM
"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. - . . . — — Map (db m106003) WM
1954 Communist forces win decisive victory over French at Dien Bien Phu. Geneva Accords divide Vietnam. Southeast Asia Treaty Organization is formed. President Dwight D. Eisenhower offers aid to South Vietnam. 1955 One Million Vietnamese . . . — — Map (db m106032) HM WM
Constructed in 1867 as the Old Iron Works and Machine Shop. In 1886 a new factory was built for the Consumer's Ice Company, incorporating the earlier walls of the original building. In 1891 an explosion partially destroyed the building. It was . . . — — Map (db m54133) HM
Stephen Ambrose proposed the idea of a D-Day museum to his close friend Nick Mueller in the year 1990. The two historians at the University of New Orleans first discussed creating the museum over glasses of sherry in the back yard of Ambrose's . . . — — Map (db m102716) HM WM
On this site from 1835 to 1924 stood the Citizens State Bank, originator of the “Dixie.” In its early days, the bank issued its own $10 bank note, with the French work “Dix” for “ten” printed on the note’s face. . . . — — Map (db m51354) HM
Don Gilberto Guillemard, architect.
Constructed financed and directed by Don Andres Almonester y Roxas.
The mansard roof was added in 1847.
The illustrious Cabildo (Spanish colonial city council) held its . . . — — Map (db m21508) HM
Jazz scholars refer to this neighborhood as one of the original birthplaces of jazz. The early sounds of jazz emanated from music halls in this area frequented by Buddy Bolden and other jazz greats. In honor of this historic location, Louisiana . . . — — Map (db m81094) HM
Erected by The Croatian Benevolent Association of Louisiana in memory of those members who gave their lives in service of their country, the United States of America, during the wars.
Army Cpl. George Petrovich killed in action at Gettysburg, . . . — — Map (db m51293) HM
A classic example of the late Greek Revival-Italianate style. Designed by noted architects Henry Howard and Albert Diettel, constructed in 1859 by Wing and Muir for Louise Donnet and Cyprien Dufour, a prominent attorney, author, and state senator. . . . — — Map (db m51291) HM
Ancient French Market dates its legal birth from September 10, 1784, when the “Authorities of Justice and Administration” decided that all retailers in the city should conduct their businesses on this spot.
In 1791 . . . — — Map (db m51556) HM
The INN ON BOURBON on the corner of Toulouse and Bourbon Streets, rests on the site of the Old French Opera House, for 60 years, the cultural center of New Orleans Creole society, and the first opera house in the United States. Erected in 1859 at . . . — — Map (db m21548) HM
The Historic Lower Ninth Ward Side A On August 29, 2005, at about 7:45a.m., the Industrial Canal flood wall broke with an explosive sound, heard by many residents near North Johnson Street and Jourdan Avenue. At that time, the Lower Ninth . . . — — Map (db m102875) HM
Erected 1859 for Hannah Killingley Walford, widow of Edmund W. Briggs, agent for London Unity Insurance Company, William A. Freret, architect.
Purchased 1871 by the Prytania Street Presbyterian Church for use as the minister’s residence. The bay . . . — — Map (db m51520) HM
The New Orleans Katrina Memorial
On August 29, 2005 Hurricane Katrina made landfall upon the Louisiana and Mississippi Gulf Coast. Bringing devastation to many communities. In New Orleans, storm surge and the failure of the . . . — — Map (db m85824) HM
Founded in 1921 by R.C. Matthews and 45 members, New Zion Baptist Church moved to 2319 Third Street in 1949. Here, under the leadership of Rev. A.L. Davis, Jr., the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) became a permanent organization . . . — — Map (db m95835) HM
Built in 1826 as a burial church for victims of yellow fever, the chapel is the oldest surviving church in the city. Now Our Lady of Guadalupe, the chapel is the official chapel of the New Orleans Police and Fire Departments. — — Map (db m21456) HM
Short trail from Lake Pontchartrain to River shown by Indians to Iberville and Bienville, 1699. Winding trail used by early travelers to city. From Bayou St. John it led to N. Broad, Bayou Roads, Vieux Carre to Mississippi River at site between . . . — — Map (db m56026) HM
Logo of the New Orleans Landmarks Commission
Designed in 1791 by Gilberto Guillemard, architect, as the rectory of the Church of St. Louis. Construction, begun through the generosity of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, . . . — — Map (db m51544) HM
Began service in 1835 as the Carrollton Line of the N.O. & Carrollton Railroad. Powered by steam engine, horse, and mule prior to electrification in 1893. It is the oldest continuously operated street railway line in the world. — — Map (db m13502) HM
On January 10, 1812, the steamer "New Orleans" commanded by Nicholas Roosevelt, arrived on this spot. It was the first steamboat to successfully navigate the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Steamboats were a major factor in the growth of New Orleans as . . . — — Map (db m13504) HM
On and near this site since 1718 has centered the military activities of both regular and citizen soldiers of France, Spain, the Confederacy and the United States. On either side were the redoubts forming the “Great . . . — — Map (db m24684) HM
This Greek Revival residence was built in 1852 for Angel Xiques, a native of Cadiz, Spain, who was a partner in Laborde & Xiques, importers of Cuban products.
This was the Spanish Consulate from 1871 to 1877. In 1884 a gambling house operated . . . — — Map (db m51357) HM
were designed and built in 1847 for merchant James Dick by renowned architect James Gallier, Sr. while he was designing the old New Orleans City Hall, now called Gallier Hall. Restored in 1971 by August Perez and Associates — — Map (db m51355) HM
Built in 1827 by John Mitchell and Isaac Lambert for Dr. Pierre Thomas, who acquired the site from the city.
The house was remodeled and a new kitchen constructed for Dr. Thomas by Joseph Desjardin in 1844.
The Federal-style townhouse remained in . . . — — Map (db m51420) HM
The ground floor of this building was erected for Juan Laporte in 1789 during the Spanish colonial period. It replaced an earlier, French colonial residence.
The second floor was added in 1807 when Louis d’Aquin expanded his adjacent bakery into . . . — — Map (db m51320) HM
On this October 30, 2004, we, the faith community of St. Augustine Catholic Church, dedicate this shrine consisting of grave crosses, chains and shackles to the memory of the nameless, faceless turfless Africans who met an untimely death in . . . — — Map (db m35067) HM
Three generations of Tortorici’s have owned The Nationally Famous Tortorici Restaurant.
Louis Tortorici left his native Italy for New Orleans and founded the Contessa Entellina Society, and on September 8, 1886 he became its first president.
His . . . — — Map (db m51334) HM
212 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 12