Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New Smyrna Beach, Florida Historical Markers

 
1768 British Colony of New Smyrna Marker image, Touch for more information
By Glenn Sheffield, June 3, 2012
1768 British Colony of New Smyrna Marker
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — 1768 British Colony of New Smyrna
During Florida's British Colonial period, 1763-1783, Doctor Andrew Turnbull established the largest North American colony at this site. Approximately 1300 Minorcans, Greeks, and Italians comprised the colony named after Smyrna, Asia Minor, the . . . — Map (db m72962) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — Anniversary of Shelling by Union Gunboats1863 - 1963
To commemorate the one hundredth anniversary of the shelling and burning of the Sheldon House on this site July 26th during the War Between the States by Union gunboats Oleander and Bouregard — Map (db m75067) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — Bethune BeachSwimming Freely
Welcome to Volusia County's Mary McLeod Bethune Beach Park—once part of a nationally known African-American resort. Named for a noted educator and presidential advisor, this spot gave black people a place of their own when most Florida beaches . . . — Map (db m131762) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — F-613 — Coronado Beach House
Coronado Beach was settled by Foster G. Austin in 1885. Austin built a series of beachside cottages approximately one mile south of Flagler Avenue. In its early days, Coronado Beach, named after Austin’s native community in California, served . . . — Map (db m93313) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — Dr. Andrew TurnbullDec. 2, 1720 - March 13, 1792
Founder of the largest colony under British rule ever to come to the New World. The New Smyrna Colony of Florida 1768 - 1778 — Map (db m72930) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — F-632 — Old St. Rita Colored Mission Church
The old St. Rita's Catholic Church Mission Building is one of the oldest surviving church buildings in the city. It was built in 1899 as the Sacred Heart Catholic Church of New Smyrna Beach, moved to this site in 1956 to serve the colored Catholics . . . — Map (db m56343) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — Site of Old Stone Wharf
Built by Turnbull colonists in 1768 it formed a terminus of the Kings Road completed in 1771 and marked the beginning point of all of the early surveys of the community. It was the scene of a Civil War engagement March 24, 1862 between the 3rd . . . — Map (db m101767) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — Site of Sheldon's New Smyrna Hotel
This coquina foundation rests within a shell midden from the Timucuan Indian era. Mystery still surrounds the origin of this foundation. Jane and John Sheldon built a large hotel on this mound circa 1859. During the Civil War, the structure was . . . — Map (db m74934) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — F-924 — The Gabordy Canal
The Gabordy Canal, also known as the South Canal, was built by colonists brought to the New Smyrna area in 1768 by the Scottish physician, Dr. Andrew Turnbull. As part of the largest single attempt at British colonization, New Smyrna attracted more . . . — Map (db m101768) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — The Mound BuildersCanaveral National Seashore
Turtle Mound is an Indian midden-a heap of discarded shells accumulated over 600 years. A short boardwalk trail leads to the summit of the mound. Along the way, trailside signs explain the life-style of the Timucuan Indians. The Timucuan people . . . — Map (db m100192) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — The New Smyrna Odyssey1768 - 1777
(side 1) The story of New Smyrna's first immigrants is one of hardship, endurance and survival by a group of religious colonists of several nationalities who came to the New World seeking freedom and a better life. After Spain ceded Florida . . . — Map (db m101771) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — To the Past...To the Present... — To the Future...
Dedicated on this 200th Anniversary In honor of those Intrepid Hellenes who came to the New World in 1768 as settlers of the historic New Smyrna Colony of Florida By Americans proud of their Hellenic heritage who cherish their participation . . . — Map (db m72961) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — Turnbull Canal
One of two main canals into which flowed the vast network of smaller irrigation and drainage canals from Turnbull Hammock, through New Smyrna Colony indigo plantations and the rise of farms of Minorcan, Greek and Italian colonists. Dug during . . . — Map (db m101766) HM
Florida (Volusia County), New Smyrna Beach — F-1025 — Turnbull Grand Canal
The Turnbull Grand Canal, also known as the Grand Canal, was built by indentured servants brought to the area by Scottish physician Dr. Andrew Turnbull in 1768. As part pf the largest single attempt at British colonization in North America, Smyrnea . . . — Map (db m131383) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.