Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Newark, Ohio Historical Markers

 
"Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence and Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joel Seewald, August 26, 2016
"Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence and Marker
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence
This "Double Arrow" Wrought Iron Fence was installed around the home of Judge Jerome Buckingham at 70 North Third Street in about 1835. It was generously given by Dennis Crowley, a retired Newark fireman, to J. Gilbert Reese and James W. Pyle . . . — Map (db m97314) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 18-45 — A. H. Heisey Glass
The A.H. Heisey & Co. produced high quality, hand-wrought glass in Newark, Ohio beginning in 1896. Glass originally produced by pressing was intended to simulate cut glass making elegant glass affordable to more families. Heisey was an innovator in . . . — Map (db m12561) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Congressional Medal of Honor RecipientsState of Ohio, Licking County
United States of America Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients State of Ohio, Licking County Civil War Hanna, Milton              Sergeant         Tennessee      1863 Inscho, Leonidas H.     1st Lt             Maryland        1862 . . . — Map (db m12876) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 22-45 — Early Transportation in Newark
During the 1830s, the Ohio & Erie Canal was built through Newark. The Lockmaster's House was home to the lockmaster of Lock #9. In 1852, the first railroad locomotive steamed into Newark, signaling the beginning of the end for the canal. By 1871, . . . — Map (db m12582) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Great Circle Earthworks
The Great Circle Earthworks, one remnant of the largest complex of geometric earthen enclosures ever built. The Newark Earthworks, situated on a high terrace between the South Fork of the Licking River and Raccoon Creek, once covered more than four . . . — Map (db m689) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Honoring Carl EtheringtonDecember 6, 1892 – July 8, 1910
On July 8, 1910 Deputy Marshal Carl Etherington was killed for enforcing the County Option Law, which prohibited the sale of alcohol in Licking County. The County Option Law was a result of the Rose Law of 1908 and a precursor to the National . . . — Map (db m117887) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — John L. Clem1851-1937
Considered the youngest ever to serve, Clem ran away from home at the age of 9 yrs. and 10 mos. to join the Union Army. At Snodgrass Hill, as a drummer boy in Co. “C” 22nd Michigan Volunteer Infantry, he won the sobriquet "The Drummer . . . — Map (db m12579) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 14-45 — John SparksTrail Blazer and Frontiersman
As a private in the infantry of the 1st United States Regiment, and during the years 1805 to 1807, John Sparks (1758-1846) acted as guide, scout, and hunter for the two expeditions of Zebulon Pike, which helped to open up largely unknown areas in . . . — Map (db m12875) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 28-45 — Licking County Sheriff’s Residence & Jail
July 8, 1910 was a dark day in local history. Carl Etherington, a detective with the Anti-Saloon League of Ohio, had come to Newark to raid saloons and speakeasies for illegal alcohol. Etherington shot local saloon owner William Howard in . . . — Map (db m117853) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — McCune-Stimson House
The present house was built in 1869 by Dixon Brown, a Somerset, Ohio merchant, as a wedding present for his daughter, Ella Brown McCune. The second owner, Melville O. Baker, occupied the house from 1879-1893, when Mr. Baker moved to . . . — Map (db m97336) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Octagon Earthworks
A Wonder of the World These walls were once the center of an ancient civilization. The Octagon Earthworks, like a modern cathedral or county fairgrounds, were a focal point for the social and religious activities of the Hopewell people about . . . — Map (db m17487) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building
On this site in 1894, the Soldiers' and Sailors' Memorial Building was erected to honor those from Licking County who died in the Civil War. The original building facade was destroyed by fire in 1968. The building also housed the Auditorium Theater, . . . — Map (db m97335) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — The Donald D. Hill County Administration Building
County Commissioner 1969-1996 Dedicated November 16, 1996 — Map (db m12879) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — 6-45 — The History of Licking Memorial Hospital
Newark's first hospital opened on this site in January 1898. In 1906, the building was moved to 22 Wyoming and attached to an existing structure, creating a 22-bed hospital. In December 1914, a new hospital opened at the corners of Everett and Buena . . . — Map (db m12874) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — The John W. Alford Building21 South First Street
The Park National Bank dedicates this building to John W. Alford His leadership, judgement, dedication and integrity have been of inestimable value to this bank and this community for 50 years — Map (db m12512) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — The Newark Earthworks
The Newark Earthworks is truly one of the most magnificent prehistoric Indian sites in the eastern United States. Covering an area two miles square, it once was the largest earthworks complex in Ohio. the main components of the site are the large . . . — Map (db m640) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — The Observatory Mound
The form of this mound is unique among all the known Hopewellian mounds. Some 19th century archaeologists thought that the builders had planned to extend a set of parallel walls from the circle, bu thene changed their minds and blocked off the stubs . . . — Map (db m18101) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Veteran's Park
Dedicated as a lasting tribute to the men and women of Newark who served and died in honor of their country. This memorial is dedicated in sincere tribute to those men and women of Newark who served and died in all wars. “The freedom of a . . . — Map (db m12563) HM
Ohio (Licking County), Newark — Wright Earthworks
Ancient Architecture Now Lost The two earthen walls before you are remnants of one of the wonders of the ancient world. They were part of the Newark Earthworks, the largest set of geometric enclosures ever built. Much like a modern cathedral . . . — Map (db m17485) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement