First ferry across the Merrimack river from Newbury to Salisbury, established about 1639, and the only route from Boston to the eastern frontier. In 1641 George Carr was appointed ferryman with rights which continued in his family for generations. — — Map (db m47972) HM
Brought from the siege of
by Nathaniel Knapp Jr. 1759
preserved by his son
as a memorial to his father
and also to his brother
who served at Bunker Hill
and was a member of the . . . — — Map (db m115543) HM
Bicentennial of the United States Coast Guard
We the people of Newburyport, Massachusetts dedicate this plaque to the men and women of the United States Coast Guard who have courageously and faithfully served the nation for 200 . . . — — Map (db m85229) HM
Built in 1746 by Michael Dalton, later the residence of his son, Tristram Dalton, one of the first two United States Senators from Massachusetts. Here were entertained George Washington and
other distinguished men. — — Map (db m49452) HM
On this site dwelt Edward Rawson, secretary of the bay colony for thirty-six years, deputy to the General Court for twelve years, elected clerk of the House of Deputies in 1645, he died in Boston 1693. — — Map (db m47984) HM
A domed Victorian train station was built in 1893 behind where the Winter Street condominiums stand today. At the time, there were 32 trains traveling to Boston every day.
The station operated for 75 years and was destroyed by fire on May 2, . . . — — Map (db m115590) HM
When the British Parliament in 1773 imposed a tax on tea imported into the American Colonies the act was widely resented.
In indignation tea was brought by the people to Market Square and burned.
To commemorate the incident this tablet was . . . — — Map (db m115416) HM
This historic building, built as a Markethouse and Lyceum by the citizens of Newburyport in 1822, served as the Central Fire Station from the mid-1800s until 1980.
A cooperative effort by the public and private sectors has restored the structure . . . — — Map (db m115567) HM
In honor of
the proud, brave fishermen
who lost their lives at sea.
May they rest in peace.
In memory of
The Crew of F/V Lady Luck
Who were lost at sea
The night of January 31, 2007
Captain Sean P. Cone - Age 24
Crewman . . . — — Map (db m85230) HM
A misplaced switch forced a freight train onto a dead-end side track on May 23, 1873, and the 34-ton steam locomotive smashed through barriers and fell down the embankment to Merrimac Street below. The engineer and fireman jumped clear before the . . . — — Map (db m115587) HM
It was first shaped thousands of years ago by a huge chunk of ice which broke off a retreating glacier.
When the ice finally melted, it left a steep-sided pit that geologists call a kettle hole.
In 1645 the first settlers from England named . . . — — Map (db m115536) HM
“She’s the Liverpool Packet- O Lord, let her go!”
The Dreadnought, in her ten years running in the Atlantic Packet Service, made for herself such a name that she is still remembered: “The wild boat of the Atlantic ,” As . . . — — Map (db m85299) HM
the memory of the officers and men
who left this Memorial Hall
April 16, 1861
in answer to the first call of
for troops to defend the Capital
issued April 15, 1861
Capt. Albert W. Bartlett . . . — — Map (db m115617) HM WM
Near this spot was "Watts Cellar," a landmark before the settlement of Newbury in 1635. An excavation used for the storage of fish by fishermen who visited the New England coast. — — Map (db m47985) HM
Garrison the Liberator
Presented by William H. Swasey July 4 1893
Side 2 I solicit no man’s praise. I fear no man’s censure. The Liberty of a People. Is the gift of God and Nature
Side 3 Neither God nor the . . . — — Map (db m84824) HM
Christopher Bridge Marsh
Ministers of this City
Judge Theophilus Bradbury
”Lord” Timothy . . . — — Map (db m115614) HM WM