This is one of California's last surviving examples of the great waterfront recreational pavilions from the turn of the century. Built in 1905 by the Newport Bay Investment Company, it played a prominent role in the development of Newport Beach as a . . . — — Map (db m50338) HM
On May 10, 1912, Glen L. Martin flew his hydroplane, built in Orange County, from the sea near the Balboa Pier to Catalina Island. This was the fastest and longest flight over water at that time.
[Original Marker, Removed in 2010:]
Glen L. . . . — — Map (db m119321) HM
The Santa Ana River once made an estuary along Mariner's Mile. The 1916 flood prompted efforts since to confine the river to its concrete bed on the border with Huntington Beach. A 1920 county bond issue enhanced the dredging of the bay to establish . . . — — Map (db m81924) HM
The original wharf at this site was completed in the winter of 1888-89 and was connected by railroad with the hinterland in the winter of 1890-91. It served as a shipping and distributing point for Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties . . . — — Map (db m50335) HM
On September 10, 1870, Captain Samuel S. Dunnells and William A. Abbott opened Newport Bay to commerce when they entered it for the first time on the Sternwheel steamer Vaquero. The landing was designated "Newport" - a new port - by James . . . — — Map (db m50345) HM
Built near this site in 1928, the Rendezvous became a showcase for Big Bands, especially during "Bal Week." For 38 years, the sounds of dance music echoed from this block-long ballroom, which was destroyed by fire in 1966. The music and dancing have . . . — — Map (db m50019) HM
Over 500 tons of salt produced per season! The upper end of Newport Bay was developed into a commercial Salt Works by the Irvine Company in 1934 to produce water softener salt. The plant was leased by the Western Salt Company in 1950.
. . . — — Map (db m81929) HM