The Bird in Hand (formerly the "Red Lion Inn" and "Old Frame House") has played a rich and diverse role in the history of Newtown. There is record of a tavern on this site dating back to 1686, and it is considered the oldest frame structure still . . . — — Map (db m32278) HM
This building sits on land that was on the edge of the Newtown Common next to the original townstead land of Christopher Taylor. This property was originally purchased in 1796 by James Boyd “Minister of the Gospel” of the Presbyterian . . . — — Map (db m28136) HM
Prior to 1750, there existed a dwelling on this site, 1 East Washington Avenue, which had been built by Shadrach Walley, Newtown's first settler. Amos Strickland, a farmer and entrepreneur from Philadelphia, bought the property in 1760. In 1763, he . . . — — Map (db m32510) HM
The Newtown Commons was designed to be land shared by everyone in the Borough and Township. Unfortunately, because no one owned the land, no one took care of it. It appears that some people simply moved onto the land, built a house and lived there. . . . — — Map (db m29871) HM
Bearing the inscription "1 M to N" (one mile to Newtown) this milestone is believed to have been placed before 1741. It is one of two such markers still located on the historical 43-mile road from Bristol to Durham Furnace. Newtown, an important . . . — — Map (db m31158) HM
The Newtown and Wrightstown Turnpike (Durham) Toll House was in operation from approximately 1870 to 1920, when it was originally located at this site at the intersection of Sycamore Street (532) and Durham Road (413). The toll house served as the . . . — — Map (db m28132) HM
Famed primitive artist. His subjects included farmscapes & Biblical scenes; he painted more than fifty versions of The Peaceable Kingdom, based on a prophecy of Isaiah. Also a coach & sign painter; a Quaker preacher. Lived here on Penn . . . — — Map (db m32066) HM
Edward Hicks (1780-1849), son of Isaac and Catherine Hicks, was a Quaker minister, sign painter and folk artist, most famous for over sixty versions of his Peaceable Kingdom paintings. Born in Langhorne, his mother died when he was young, . . . — — Map (db m32316) HM
Dedicated in memory of
Elinor Slack Campbell
A Founding Member Of The Newtown
Township Historical Architectural Review Board.
A Life Member And Historian Of
The Presbyterian Church.
History was her passion
Preservation her . . . — — Map (db m29835) HM
Sixteen American soldiers, guarding military uniforms being manufactured on these premises were overpowered by a raiding party of forty enemy cavalrymen and infantrymen.
In the heroic but hopeless defense of their post, five guards were killed . . . — — Map (db m32275) HM
Newtown Friends Meeting is an active place of worship for approximately 250 area Quakers. Newtown Meeting was co-founded by Quaker minister, sign painter and folk artist Edward Hicks, now highly acclaimed for his renditions of The Peaceable . . . — — Map (db m32212) HM
The original structure on this property was likely built in about 1725 as the early settlers cabin of William Buckman. In 1918, John Goodnoe purchased the 78 acre farm located at 298 North Sycamore Street and started delivering produce grown from . . . — — Map (db m28133) HM
The Half-Moon Inn (popularly known as the Court Inn) is located at 101-103 Court Street. The south portion of the Inn was the original one and one-half story frame cottage of Margaret and Joseph Thornton built in 1733 and later used as a tavern. . . . — — Map (db m32355) HM
On Feb. 19, 1778, while the British occupied Philadelphia, some 40 armed Loyalists raided the tavern here. The fighting left 5 American soldiers dead, 4 wounded, 11 captured. Tailors here were making uniforms for use at Valley Forge, and 2,000 . . . — — Map (db m32262) HM
The buildings at 35 South State Street are situated on the tract of land on which the three main public buildings in Newtown were erected in 1726 when Newtown became the County Seat (Jail Keeper's House & Records Office, Jail, Court House). . . . — — Map (db m32428) HM
In honor of the young men of Newtown and vicinity who answered their country's call that international justice might prevail and the peace and liberty of free peoples be preserved
1917 World War 1918
*Morell Smith, Killed in Action
Raymond . . . — — Map (db m32326) HM
On April 16, 1838, the village of Newtown received its own municipal identity, distinct from that of Newtown Township, when it was formally chartered as a borough by the Pennsylvania Legislature.
In 1854, the Borough approved the plans to build . . . — — Map (db m32522) HM
In 1684, William Penn planned his new town, which was later called Newtown. About 30 acres, on both sides of Newtown Creek, were reserved for common use. The town was designed to resemble an open fan of lots surrounding a narrow, rectangular town . . . — — Map (db m32609) HM
The third home of the Newtown Library Company is located at 114 East Centre Avenue at the corner of Centre Avenue and Congress Street. The Newtown Library Company was founded in 1760 and it is the third oldest private library in Pennsylvania. . . . — — Map (db m32354) HM
The Old Presbyterian Church was erected on North Sycamore Street in 1769 to replace the original 1734 log structure that stood a half mile to the west on Swamp Road near the high school and the bypass.
In 1776, George Washington used this church . . . — — Map (db m29836) HM
The Croasdale building, located at 2-4 South State Street, was built in 1853. This building was the center of Newtown's commercial activities, housing dry goods stores, the First National Bank and several lodges. During the Civil War, the front of . . . — — Map (db m32487) HM
Originally, the Newtown Hosiery Mill (a.k.a. The Stocking Works) operated out of this building at 301 South State Street. In 1884, the Excelsior Bobbin and Spool Works was founded by John B. Mawson in Yardley. In 1889, it was moved to Newtown after . . . — — Map (db m32246) HM
Although some historians believe there may have been a tavern at this location fifty years earlier, Andrew and Nancy McMinn built the first part of the Temperance House, located at 5 South State Street, circa 1772. Part of the building was used as . . . — — Map (db m32432) HM
The First National Bank and Trust Company of Newtown was first organized in 1864 and operated out of a room in the Paxson-Croasdale Building, located at 2-4 South State Street. By the spring of 1868, the bank bought property from the county and . . . — — Map (db m32612) HM
The world's 1st experimental and operational weather satellite, TIROS 1, was manufactured here by Lavelle Aircraft Corp. in 1960. Pioneering satellite TV techniques, TIROS recorded the 1st TV image from space. Its success led to improved satellites . . . — — Map (db m31157) HM
The White Hall Hotel is located at 127 South State Street. Squire Isaac Hicks, father of Edward Hicks, lived in a frame house on this lot until 1836. During the Revolutionary War, the house was used as a store and was for a time occupied by the . . . — — Map (db m32281) HM
Isaac Hicks, father of the renowned artist, Edward Hicks, lived on the property from 1796 until his death in 1836. A girls boarding school and general store are believed to have occupied part of the building prior to its use as a hotel from 1843 to . . . — — Map (db m32279) HM
On March 4, 1681, Charles II granted William Penn a vast tract of land in the New World as payment for the debt the King owed Penn's father. The tract awarded to Penn included all of the land west of New Jersey, north of Maryland and south of New . . . — — Map (db m29833) HM