Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
8 entries match your criteria.
 
 

Historical Markers and War Memorials in North Wildwood

 
Anglesea Railroad Marker image, Touch for more information
By Sunny Mancini
Anglesea Railroad Marker
GEOGRAPHIC SORT
1New Jersey (Cape May County), North Wildwood — N1 — 1883 Original Terminus Anglesea Railroad
The stone block below marks the original terminus of the Anglesea Railroad, as shown on a map field with the Secretary of State linked with the West Jersey Railroad at a point 2.6 miles south of Cape May Court House Station, and eventually ran from . . . — Map (db m118606) HM
2New Jersey (Cape May County), North Wildwood — All Shapes, Sizes and MaterialsAids to Navigation — Maritime History —
Primary seacoast lights were located to warn mariners of their proximity to land, the presence of navigational dangers, and to help set their course. By 1852, however, lighthouses and lightships often looked so much alike that it was difficult to . . . — Map (db m46293) HM
3New Jersey (Cape May County), North Wildwood — S1 — Boardwalk
In February 1904 Borough Council, authorized construction of a Boardwalk on Surf Avenue from this point to the Borough’s southern border. It was removed just 8 years later due to the rapidly expanding beach, and a new Boardwalk was built closer to . . . — Map (db m118605) HM
4New Jersey (Cape May County), North Wildwood — S-2 — Boardwalk
In March 1912 Borough Council authorized the removal of the Boardwalk on Surf Avenue and construction of a new Boardwalk closer to the ocean. The 1912 Boardwalk would connect with the boardwalk in Wildwood, which had also been moved eastward from . . . — Map (db m118608) HM
5New Jersey (Cape May County), North Wildwood — Hereford Inlet Lighthouse1874
This plaque was presented on June 3, 2006 by the New Jersey Sarah Soper Chapter of the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century to recognize the unique architecture of the building and its importance as an aid to navigation. — Map (db m46294) HM
6New Jersey (Cape May County), North Wildwood — N3 — Hereford Inlet LightouseBorough of Anglesea 1885-1906
Work was completed in the spring of 1874 at this site, the original location of the Hereford Inlet Lighthouse. The fourth-order Fresnel Lens in the tower was illuminated for the first time on May 11, 1874. Erosion on the south side of the Inlet, due . . . — Map (db m118223) HM
7New Jersey (Cape May County), North Wildwood — N-2 — Hotel Anglesea
Built in 1880, the Hotel Anglesea stood 300 feet east of this marker and was the site of the first Borough Council Meeting on June 3, 1885. The Hotel was 150 feet long with 50 rooms, but just two stories high so as to not obstruct the beacon of the . . . — Map (db m118607) HM
8New Jersey (Cape May County), North Wildwood — S-7 — West Jersey and Seashore Railroad
The WJSRR’s North Wildwood Station, located at this site, was very busy during the growth of the southern part of the Borough in the early 1900s, but the tracks in North Wildwood were abandoned after the Pennsylvania and Reading Railroads merged . . . — Map (db m118609) HM
 
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 20, 2020