Sandy Spring has had large Quaker and African American populations since its founding in the 1720s.
Encouraged by their regional and national Religious Society, most Sandy Spring Quakers had freed their
slaves by about 1820, creating a . . . — — Map (db m67633) HM
In 1860 James Holland purchased this land and built the general store that still stands today. Located at the intersection of the toll roads to Baltimore and Olney, the store was at the heart of a community that became known as Holland's Corner. . . . — — Map (db m49924) HM
Built by the Thomas Family in the early 1800s,this property, formerly known as Woodlawn, has national significance. In 1816, Samuel and Anna Thomas established a Friends Boarding School here. Francis Scott Key frequently visited his daughters who . . . — — Map (db m67596) HM