Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Opelika, Alabama Historical Markers

 
African-American Rosemere Cemetery Marker (reverse) image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, July 6, 2014
African-American Rosemere Cemetery Marker (reverse)
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — African-American Rosemere CemeteryLee County
Side 1 On February 9, 1876, the City of Opelika paid D.B. Preston $80 for two acres of land to establish an African-American section of Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area of the cemetery contains 176 blocks, with 16 being partial . . . — Map (db m75139) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Bean's Mill
Side 1 Here in 1897 the first iron bridge in Lee County was built. In 1903 George W. Bean bought the mill, operating it until his death in 1952. About 1910 Bean installed an iron overshot wheel to replace the old turbine. Later, the dam . . . — Map (db m73533) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Camp OpelikaWorld War II Prisoner of War Facility
Located on this 800 acre site was an enemy prisoner of war camp. Construction of Camp Opelika began in September 1942. The first prisoners, captured by the British, were part of General Erwin Rommel’s Africa Corps. The camp prisoner population was . . . — Map (db m85170) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Darden House
Dr. John Wesley Darden, was the first African American physician to treat patients within a 30-mile radius of Opelika. He built the Darden House in 1904, and later married Maude Jean Logan of Montgomery. Dr. and Mrs. Darden shaped many lives through . . . — Map (db m75131) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Organized in 1858, Trinity Mission was admitted to the Episcopal Diocese of Alabama on May 5, 1860. When the first church was consecrated on this site in 1862, it was renamed Emmanuel, meaning "God With Us." That building was destroyed by a tornado . . . — Map (db m75132) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — First United Methodist Church
Established as the first religious organization in the area in 1837 with 22 members as Lebanon Methodist Episcopal Church, around which the village of Opelika developed. Moved to present location in 1879 as Opelika Station, Montgomery District, . . . — Map (db m68097) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Killgore Scholarships / Some Terms of Scholarships
Side 1 Killgore Scholarships Here James A. Killgore (1888-1966) and his wife, Ophelia Parker, operated a grocery store from 1916 to 1944. The Killgores worked hard, practiced frugality, and invested money wisely, desiring to help . . . — Map (db m75123) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Lebanon Methodist Meeting House
Here in 1837 was Lebanon A Methodist meeting house around which grew up Opelika — Map (db m75149) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Lee County Courthouse / Lee County Probate Judges
(side a) Lee County Courthouse Lee County was created from portions of Russell, Macon, Chambers and Tallapoosa by act of the Alabama Legislature, approved December 5, 1866. The County’s first election was held January 21, 1867. . . . — Map (db m85171) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Lieutenant Colonel Dallas B. SmithMarch 9, 1883 - August 1, 1935
Dallas “Dal” Smith was a veteran of the First World War. During his time of service, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, Purple Heart and a Regimental Citation. He commanded the 3rd Battalion of the 167th Regiment. After the . . . — Map (db m75133) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — New Rosemere CemeteryLee County
Side 1 The City of Opelika purchased 19.6 acres of land to expand Rosemere Cemetery. This rectangular area is the newest portion. There are 193 blocks with varying numbers of sections and spaces in each. 467 grave markers have death dates . . . — Map (db m75140) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Old Rosemere CemeteryLee County
Side 1 On July 23, 1869, the City of Opelika purchased ten acres of land for a cemetery from Dr. A.B. Bennett for $100 an acre. On November 23, 1869, he accepted his choice of a lot in exchange for the debt. The earliest marked grave is . . . — Map (db m85335) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Railroad Avenue Historic DistrictOpelika, Alabama
obverse The Railroad Avenue Historic District was the downtown nucleus of Opelika when the city was incorporated as part of Russell County, Alabama in February, 1854. The city limits extended a mile in every direction from the Montgomery . . . — Map (db m85336) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Rosseau's Raid to East Alabama
With orders from Gen. Sherman, Gen. Lovell Rousseau left Decatur with 2,700 cavalry, beginning his raid into East-Central Alabama. That raid ended successfully in Opelika July 19, 1864, after miles of track were destroyed along with other railroad . . . — Map (db m75126) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Salem Shotwell Covered Bridge
obverse This is the last surviving covered bridge in Lee County. It was constructed about 1900 by Otto Puls over Wacoochee Creek in the Town's lattice truss design. Materials used in the 75 foot long bridge included longleaf heart pine, . . . — Map (db m85337) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Shady Grove Christian Church
Organized November 15, 1846, as the Church of Christ at Shady Grove, under the New Covenant of 2nd Corinthians, 3rd chapter, agreeing to believe all the New Testament teaches, and to obey all its injunctions to the best of their capacity and submit . . . — Map (db m85338) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — South Railroad Avenue
The earliest buildings in the South Rail Road Avenue block between 9th and 10th Street were constructed by William O. Harwell around 1900 and were occupied by his agricultural supply store. His daughter, Alice Inez Harwell married Lum Duke who . . . — Map (db m84735) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Thompson ChapelAmerican Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
Organized c. 1872 by Rev. John Ford, Tom Isaiah, Julius Crockrum, Daniel Billingslea, Fannie Bryant, Charity Harris, Sarah Chambers and others, and named for presiding Bishop J. P. Thompson. This congregation first met in a house near the oil mill . . . — Map (db m75157) HM
Alabama (Lee County), Opelika — Top Rock Millstone
This "Top Rock" Millstone was in a grist mill owned and operated by W.S.A. Bence on Sweetwater Creek in Clay County, AL 1919-1947 Donated by H.S. Bence — Map (db m75160) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.