Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Opelousas, Louisiana Historical Markers

 
19th Century Outhouse, c.1890 Marker image, Touch for more information
December 21, 2018
19th Century Outhouse, c.1890 Marker
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — 19th Century Outhouse, c.1890
Originally located in the community of Prairie Rhonde, next to the Emar Andrepont home, this 19th century cabinette was donated by the family of Dewey Ledoux and moved to the village in 1992.

While outhouses typically featured two seats, one . . . — Map (db m127819) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Battle of Opelousas
Here, on October 21, 1863, during the Great Texas Overland Expedition, Union troops under Maj. Gen. Nathaniel Banks, forced Confederates, under Maj. Gen. Richard Taylor, to evacuate Opelousas and move his defensive line 7 miles north. 12 days later, . . . — Map (db m85920) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Black Academy At Mt. Olive Baptist Church (1897-1918)
In 1897, when there were few local schools for Blacks, the 7th District Baptist School was founded and housed in the original church building on this site. It was 1 of 2 private schools for area Blacks. — Map (db m98730) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Doctor's Office circa 1908
This turn of the century doctor's office, built by Dr. Ertemon Lafleur, was originally located one mile west of the junction of Louisiana highways 103 and 104 in the community of Prairie Ronde. The office is a reminder of how medical practice has . . . — Map (db m107590) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Emar Andrepont Store circa 1880
Built in the 1880s by Emar Andrepont, this building is typical of an old "general" country store. Originally built in the rural St. Landry Parish community of Prairie Ronde, the store operated for nearly 100 years. It was first owned by Emar, and . . . — Map (db m107923) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Humble Cottage Lodge No. 19 Loge L'Humble Chaumiere
Free and Accepted Masons Chartered August 19, 1820 The oldest Masonic Lodge in the United States west of the Mississippi River — Map (db m85362) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — J.S. Clark High School
The J.S. Clark walkway is a tribute to J.S. Clark High School, its faculty, staff, students and the people of Opelousas, Louisiana.

J.S. Clark High School was an endemic institution located at 1100 E. Leo Street in Opelousas, Louisiana. The . . . — Map (db m108010) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Jarrell Home circa 1898
The expansion of the Teche Federal Bank on Landry Street in Opelousas led to the relocation of the Jarrell Home to Le Vieux Village

The history of the house dates back to 1898 when it was the property of Dr. Vincent Boagni, a noted Opelousas . . . — Map (db m107988) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — La Chapelle House circa 1840
The La Chapelle house stood at the corner of Union and Grolee streets in Opelousas for more that a century. Clerk of Court records indicate the home was built by Herbert La Chapelle, a French Canadian who moved to Opelousas where he purchased land . . . — Map (db m107726) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Le Vieux Village Established 1988
French for "the old village," Le Vieux Village is a park created by a collection of restored historic structures from Opelousas and surrounding areas of St. Landry Parish. The village depicts the unique and diverse historical and cultural heritage . . . — Map (db m107525) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Louisiana Memorial Methodist Church
The first Methodist Church in Louisiana began here in 1805 and is called "The Cradle of Louisiana Methodism." The first conference of Louisiana Methodists convened here in 1847. — Map (db m114178) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Louisiana Memorial United Methodist Church The Cradle of Louisiana Methodism
In 1805, Elisha W. Bowman was sent as a Missionary to Louisiana by Bishops Whatcoat and Asbury, reaching Appelousas territory in late 1805. He organized a Methodist Society in Opelousas early in 1806, which was as near as can be . . . — Map (db m114154) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Louisiana Orphan Train Museum Established October 10, 2009
In 2009, a former century old Union Pacific freight depot was restored to become the Louisiana Orphan Train Museum.

Opelousas was one of the many railway destinations for thousands of homeless children rescued from the streets of New York City . . . — Map (db m107838) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur Diocese of Lafayette, Louisiana Priest—WWII Chaplain U.S. Army Air Corps P.O.W.-M.I.A. —
(panel 1) Lt. Fr. Joseph "Verbis" Lafleur was born to Valentine and Agatha Dupre Lafleur on January 24, 1912 in Ville Platte, LA and later moved to Opelousas, LA in 1926. From St. Landry Catholic Church, he was accepted by the Diocese . . . — Map (db m86781) HM WM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Mary Jane Steam Engine Train circa 1904
Built by Davenport, Iowa Ironworks Company, the Mary Jane Steam Engine was a wood-burner and, at its best speed, traveled 25 miles per hour. Records indicate the train was used for at least 50 years before it was retired. In 1959, civic organizers . . . — Map (db m107491) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas Capital of Confederate Louisiana May 1, 1862 - January 23, 1863 —
After the Union occupation of New Orleans and surrounding territory in the spring of 1862 the state offices were moved to Opelousas. From here Governor Thomas Moore issued an address to the people urging them to continue the struggle, and the state . . . — Map (db m85895) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas
English: Poste des Opelousas founded by French traders middle of 18th century. Headquarters district of Opelousas under Spanish 1769. Parish seat of "Old Imperial St. Landry" 1808. State Capital 1862-1863. French: Poste des . . . — Map (db m85896) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas Catholic School
St. Mary's Academy, founded by Fr. Raymond for boys, 1855, combined with Academy of the Immaculate Conception for girls opened by the Marianite Sisters of the Holy Cross in 1856. St. Joseph's School, 1874, renamed Holy Ghost, was founded by the . . . — Map (db m85217) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas Colored School (1919-1953)
Site of first public school for People of Color in Opelousas. Also known as St. Landry Parish Training School. School constructed on property donated by the City of Opelousas in 1918. — Map (db m85216) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Opelousas Firsts and Famous/ Hall of Fame
Opelousas First and Famous

Birthplace Of Zydeco Music Birthplace Of Swamp Pop Music First Protestant (Methodist) Church In Louisiana & Oldest Methodist Church West Of The Mississippi - 1806 First Masonic Temple West Of The . . . — Map (db m134002) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Rosa B. Scott (Anderson)
On June 20, 1994, an assault occurred at Fairchild Air Force Base by a gunman during which 4 personnel were killed and 23 wounded. Rosa B., a civilian nurse at the base hospital, risked her life as a first responder to prevent further loss of life. . . . — Map (db m108137) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Saint Landry Parish Mural
1) Sweet potatoes introduced and promoted throughout the area by John Sibille, brought prosperity and made Sunset the largest shipping point for yams in the world during the 1940's and 1950's. In the 1940's, Sunset became known as the "Sweet Potato . . . — Map (db m107613) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Seven Brothers Oak
On April 4, 1809, Louisiana cotton planter Jean Henri Lastrapes became the proud father of a new baby boy. Because this was his seventh son, he immediately sent workers out to gather seven small live oak trees, intending to surround his home with . . . — Map (db m107480) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Site of Bowie Residence
James Bowie lived here with his family from 1815 to 1824. The Bowies operated several sawmills along the bayous of St. Landry Parish. The famous Bowie knife became a legend in Opelousas prior to his heroic death at the Alamo. — Map (db m85968) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — St. Joseph Methodist Church for Colored People circa 1948
This small, single frame wood structure was built in 1948 as a house of worship for the African American Methodist congregation in the small, rural St. Landry Parish village of Palmetto. The church purchased a parcel of land located at the end of . . . — Map (db m107925) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — St. Landry Catholic Cemetery
Side 1

Established circa 1798; Opelousas oldest cemetery. Located on land donated by Michel Prudhomme in 1796. It is the final resting place of numerous New York Orphan Train Riders and many veterans of wars dating back to the American . . . — Map (db m114225) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — St. Landry Catholic Church
Founded as the "Parish Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Post of Opelousas" by Capuchin monks. First recorded church ritual performed in 1756: first pastor Fr. Valentin. In 1796 Michel Prudhomme donated 120 arpents of land for the present . . . — Map (db m86739) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — St. Landry Catholic Church
The second largest Catholic Church in the south was established in 1776 and was named after the Bishop of Paris in 1650. Two former pastors are buried beneath its floor. Jim Bowie, hero of the Alamo was baptized and married here in 1814. In the . . . — Map (db m86742) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Sugar Kettle, c. 1800
Jesuit priests brought sugarcane into south Louisiana in 1751. Soon, a thriving industry was born in Louisiana.

A product of the late 18th and 19th centuries, these sphere-shaped kettles which were made from cast iron, were primarily used in the . . . — Map (db m107597) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — The Macland Plantation Bell circa mid to late 1800s
Major Amos Webb, who built Arlington Plantation in nearby Washington, Louisiana, bought additional land near the north bank of Bayou Bouef in 1836, and built Macland Plantation for his son, Dr. Louis Archibald Webb in circa 1842.

The . . . — Map (db m107959) HM

Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Union Pacific Freight Depot circa 1900
Originally located on Court Street on the east-west route of the Union Pacific Railroad, this building was once used as a freight depot and it is one of the last train depots of its kind in Louisiana. The depot was used until the late 1980s, when . . . — Map (db m107839) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Venus House circa mid to late 1700s
The Venus House was the first building to be relocated to Le Vieux Village in 1973. This French Creole style home was donated by the Earl Fontenot family. The home was originally located in the small community of Grand Prairie. In 1975, the house . . . — Map (db m107490) HM
Louisiana (Saint Landry Parish), Opelousas — Whiteville School House circa 1911
This building is typical of a two-room country schoolhouse. It was built at a time when horse drawn carriages transported children to school. The school's original location was the northern St. Landry Parish community of Whiteville.

Generally, . . . — Map (db m108008) HM


33 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement