Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Orangeburg, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Albergotti Playground Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Stroud, June 2008
Albergotti Playground Marker
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-2 — Albergotti Playground
Named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Albergotti, Sr. for their sustaining interest in public recreation for children. Their generous financial contribution made possible the establishment of the first city playground near this site. . . . — Map (db m28125) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-14 — Alexander S. Salley(1871-1961)
Here was the birthplace of Alexander Samuel Salley, who devoted fifty years to the collection, preservation, and publication of the historical records of the state as Secretary of the South Carolina Historical Society, Secretary of the South . . . — Map (db m33413) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-15 — Church of the Redeemer
The first Anglican church in Orangeburg Township was established about 1750 by John Giessendanner, and a chapel at Orangeburg was later provided by the Act of 1768 that created St. Matthew's Parish. Following a long dormant period, the . . . — Map (db m26827) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-26 — Claflin College
(Front) Claflin College, founded in 1869 as Claflin University, is the oldest historically black college in S.C. and was established to "advance the cause of education, and maintain a first-class institution ... open to all without distinction . . . — Map (db m47570) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Confederate Flag
We fly this Confederate Flag to honor the Confederate Soldiers who gallantly fought and died defending the bridge crossing at the Edisto River against Gen. Sherman’s troops February 12, 1865. The following are the Confederate troops present at the . . . — Map (db m52267) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-10 — Court House Square
The third court house for Orangeburg County was erected on this site in 1826. It was designed by Robert Mills, who was state architect at that time. This structure was destroyed by Union forces during their occupation of February 12-13, 1865. The . . . — Map (db m27027) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-5 — Defense of Edisto Bridge
Occupying Rifle Pits and manning a small battery in defense of the Edisto River Bridge, at this point less than six hundred Confederates temporarily halted the advance of the right wing of the Federal Army commanded by Gen.W.T. Sherman. On . . . — Map (db m8977) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-22 — Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and Graveyard
(Front) Anglicanism was established in Orangeburg Township about 1750. After a period of no recorded activity, efforts were made to rekindle the Anglican tradition resulting in establishment of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer, circa 1850. . . . — Map (db m47563) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-31 — Great Branch School and Teacherage
(Front text) The Great Branch School, which stood here from 1918 to the early 1960s, was one of the first Rosenwald schools in S.C. A two-room frame school built in 1917-18, it was typical of the rural black schools funded in part by the . . . — Map (db m80046) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-21 — Hawthorne School of Aeronautics
From 1941 to 1945, 5924 American & French pilots were trained here, totaling almost 330,000 flight hours. Site is 1 mi. NW. — Map (db m8794) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-41 — Jewish Merchants/Jewish Life
(side 1) Jewish Merchants Russell St., historic hub of Orangeburg's commercial life, was home to Jewish merchants for over 160 years. German Jews began settling in Orangeburg in the 1830s, followed in the next century by Eastern . . . — Map (db m103381) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-13 — Judge Glover's Home
This house, used as headquarters by General William T. Sherman on February 12, 1865, was built in 1846 by Thomas Worth Glover (1798-1884), Teacher, Lawyer, Legislator, Circuit Judge, and Signer of the Ordinance of Secession. The house has been . . . — Map (db m32359) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-9 — Old Charleston Road
This was the first public road connecting Orangeburg with Charleston and was authorized by an Act of the General Assembly passed March 16, 1737. It was laid out from Izard's Cowpen, about ten miles north of Old Dorchester, and spanned two wide . . . — Map (db m32614) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-4 — Old Dixie Club Library
This antebellum structure once stood on Orangeburg's Public Square. In 1865 it was occupied by Federal troops. From 1924 to 1955 it housed the first public library in Orangeburg County, organized by the Dixie Club, (1896). Given to the Orangeburg . . . — Map (db m26992) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Orangeburg Confederate Memorial
(North face) To the Confederate Dead of Orangeburg District 1861 — 1865 — (East face) Erected by the woman of Orangeburg County 1893 — (South face) A grateful tribute to . . . — Map (db m26470) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Orangeburg County / Discovering Orangeburg
Front Orangeburg County Parish House Built in the 1830s it is thought to be one of the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church . . . — Map (db m52792) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-11 — Pioneer Graveyard
From the time of the first settlement of Orangeburg Township in 1735 until the founding of various denominational cemeteries, this plot of ground was the final resting place for the early inhabitants. The first church in the Orangeburg area was . . . — Map (db m26943) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-25 — South Carolina State University
(Marker Front): S.C. State University was founded in 1896 as the Colored Normal, Industrial, Agricultural & Mechanical College of S.C. with its origins in the Morrill Land Grants Acts of 1862 and 1890 providing for land-grant . . . — Map (db m25252) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-27 — The Orangeburg Massacre
On February 8, 1968, after three nights of escalating racial tension over efforts by S.C. State College students and others to desegregate the All Star Bowling Lanes, 3 students died and 27 others were wounded on this campus. S.C. Highway . . . — Map (db m25299) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — The Two Old Guns Of Captain Henry Felder
The setting was the small village of Orangeburgh. May 11,1781. Cannons roared as a vital sequence of the American-British Revolution took place within the boundries of the Orangeburgh District. The two old cannons before you played a vital . . . — Map (db m27198) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-24 — Trinity United Methodist Church
This African - American church, was established in 1866, built its first sanctuary 4 blocks SE in 1870. Construction began on this sanctuary in 1928 and was completed in 1944. Trinty, headquarters for the Orangeburg Movement during the 1960s, . . . — Map (db m24799) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Veterans Memorial Fountain
This fountain erected as a memorial to those who gave their lives in the service of our country in World War II and the Korean Conflict by City of Orangeburg: S. Clyde Fair, Mayor F.F. Limehouse, Councilman Neil Blackmon, Councilman H.L. . . . — Map (db m52795) WM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Veterans Memorial Park
Veterans Memorial Park Dedicated to the Veterans of Orangeburg County November 11, 2009 — Map (db m52794) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-18 — White House Church
This four acre tract of land with an earlier structure known as the "White Meeting House" was given to the Methodist Episcopal Church on October 1, 1790, by a deed which is said to be the earliest documented record of Methodism in Orangeburg . . . — Map (db m26731) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-30 — Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church
(Front text) This church was founded in 1873 with Rev. Dave Christie as its first pastor. In 1877 trustees Emily A. Williams, Richard Howard, and Irwin Mintz purchased a small lot here, on what was then Market Street before Glover Street was . . . — Map (db m33586) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.