On Riverside Dr SW, on the right when traveling north.
Named in honor of
Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Albergotti, Sr.
for their sustaining interest in public
recreation for children.
Their generous financial contribution
made possible the establishment of the
first city playground near this site. . . . — — Map (db m28125) HM
On Belleville Road (State Highway 38-29), on the right when traveling west.
Here was the birthplace of Alexander Samuel Salley, who devoted fifty years to the collection, preservation, and publication of the historical records of the state as Secretary of the South Carolina Historical Society, Secretary of the
South . . . — — Map (db m33413) HM
On Russell Street (State Highway 33) at Lowman Street, on the right when traveling east on Russell Street.
The first Anglican church in Orangeburg Township
was established about 1750 by John Giessendanner,
and a chapel at Orangeburg was later provided by
the Act of 1768 that created St. Matthew's Parish.
Following a long dormant period, the . . . — — Map (db m26827) HM
On Claflin Circle, on the right when traveling east.
Claflin College, founded in 1869 as Claflin University, is the oldest historically black college in S.C. and was established to "advance the cause of education, and maintain a first-class institution ... open to all without distinction . . . — — Map (db m47570) HM
On John C. Calhoun Drive (U.S. 301) at Russell Street (State Route 33), in the median on John C. Calhoun Drive.
We fly this Confederate Flag to honor the Confederate Soldiers who gallantly fought and died defending the bridge crossing at the Edisto River against Gen. Sherman’s troops February 12, 1865. The following are the Confederate troops present at the . . . — — Map (db m52267) HM
On Church Street near Russell Street (State Road 33).
The third court house for Orangeburg County was erected on this site in 1826. It was designed by Robert Mills, who was state architect at that time. This structure was destroyed by Union forces during their occupation of February 12-13, 1865. The . . . — — Map (db m27027) HM
On Riverside Drive SW near Warring Street, on the right when traveling west.
Occupying Rifle Pits and manning a small
battery in defense of the Edisto River
Bridge, at this point less than six
hundred Confederates temporarily
halted the advance of the right wing
of the Federal Army commanded by
Gen.W.T. Sherman. On . . . — — Map (db m8977) HM
On Boulevard Street, NE, on the right when traveling south.
Anglicanism was established in Orangeburg Township about 1750. After a period of no recorded activity, efforts were made to rekindle the Anglican tradition resulting in establishment of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer, circa 1850. . . . — — Map (db m47563) HM
On Neeses Highway (State Highway 4) near State Rd S-38-1695 (State Highway 38-1695), on the right when traveling west.
(Front text) The Great Branch School, which stood here from 1918 to the early 1960s, was one of the first Rosenwald schools in S.C. A two-room frame school built in 1917-18, it was typical of the rural black schools funded in part by the . . . — — Map (db m80046) HM
On Russell Street (State Highway 33) east of Broughton Street (Business U.S. 178), on the left when traveling east.
Russell St., historic hub of Orangeburg's commercial life, was home to Jewish merchants for over 160 years. German Jews began settling in Orangeburg in the 1830s, followed in the next century by Eastern . . . — — Map (db m103381) HM
On Whitman Street, on the left when traveling east.
This house, used as headquarters by General William T. Sherman on February 12, 1865, was built in 1846 by Thomas Worth Glover (1798-1884), Teacher, Lawyer, Legislator, Circuit Judge, and Signer of the Ordinance of Secession. The house has been . . . — — Map (db m32359) HM
On Charleston Highway (U.S. 178), on the right when traveling east.
This was the first public road connecting Orangeburg with Charleston and was authorized by an Act of the General Assembly passed March 16, 1737. It was laid out from Izard's Cowpen, about ten miles north of Old Dorchester, and spanned two wide . . . — — Map (db m32614) HM
On Bull Street (State Road 38-1061), on the right when traveling west.
This antebellum structure once stood on Orangeburg's Public Square. In 1865 it was occupied by Federal troops. From 1924 to 1955 it housed the first public library in Orangeburg County, organized by the Dixie Club, (1896). Given to the Orangeburg . . . — — Map (db m26992) HM
On Riverside Drive, on the left when traveling north.
Built in the 1830s it is thought to be one of the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church . . . — — Map (db m52792) HM
On Bull Street (State Road 38-1061), on the right when traveling west.
From the time of the first settlement of Orangeburg Township in 1735 until the founding of various denominational cemeteries, this plot of ground was the final resting place for the early inhabitants. The first church in the Orangeburg area was . . . — — Map (db m26943) HM
On Magnolia Street (U.S. 601) at Geathers Street, on the right when traveling north on Magnolia Street.
S.C. State University was founded in 1896
as the Colored Normal, Industrial,
Agricultural & Mechanical College of S.C. with its
origins in the Morrill Land Grants Acts of
1862 and 1890 providing for land-grant . . . — — Map (db m25252) HM
On Watson Street (State Highway 38-226) just south of Gathers Street, on the left when traveling south.
On February 8, 1968, after three nights of escalating
racial tension over efforts by S.C. State College
students and others to desegregate the All Star
Bowling Lanes, 3 students died and 27 others were
wounded on this campus. S.C. Highway . . . — — Map (db m25299) HM
Near Russell Street (State Highway 33), on the right when traveling south.
The setting was the small village of
Orangeburgh. May 11,1781. Cannons
roared as a vital sequence of the
American-British Revolution took
place within the boundries of the
The two old cannons before you
played a vital . . . — — Map (db m27198) HM
On Boulevard Street (State Highway 38-25) near Amelia Street (State Highway 38-70), on the right when traveling south.
This African - American church, was established in
1866, built its first sanctuary 4 blocks SE in 1870.
Construction began on this sanctuary in 1928 and
was completed in 1944. Trinty, headquarters for the
Orangeburg Movement during the 1960s, . . . — — Map (db m24799) HM
On Riverside Drive at Russell Street, in the median on Riverside Drive.
This fountain erected as a memorial to those who gave their lives in the service of our country in World War II and the Korean Conflict by City of Orangeburg: S. Clyde Fair, Mayor F.F. Limehouse, Councilman Neil Blackmon, Councilman H.L. . . . — — Map (db m52795) WM
On Five Chop Road (U.S. 301), on the right when traveling west.
This four acre tract of land with an earlier structure
known as the "White Meeting House" was given to
the Methodist Episcopal Church on October 1, 1790,
by a deed which is said to be the earliest documented
record of Methodism in Orangeburg . . . — — Map (db m26731) HM
On Glover Street near Middleton Street, on the right when traveling east.
(Front text) This church was founded in 1873 with Rev. Dave Christie as its first pastor. In 1877 trustees Emily A. Williams, Richard Howard, and Irwin Mintz purchased a small lot here, on what was then Market Street before Glover Street was . . . — — Map (db m33586) HM