Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Orchard Park, New York Historical Markers

 
Eastward on US20A image, Touch for more information
By Anton Schwarzmueller, January 28, 2015
Eastward on US20A
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — David Eddy
David Eddy, first settler of the Village of Orchard Park, arrived from Vermont and constructed his cabin on this site in the spring of 1804. Mr. Eddy built and operated the first tavern in the village located at the Four Corners. In 1812 he was . . . — Map (db m80545) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Erie County Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway Chestnut Ridge Park —
Park and Area History. Chestnut Ridge Park is one of the original Erie County Parks, beginning its development back in the early 20th Century. Much of the park construction was handled through the WPA (Works Progress Administration) work force . . . — Map (db m82396) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Jolls Homestead 1900-1963
Dr. Willard B. Jolls, a beloved country doctor who gave of himself caring for the people and the community. Once his formal gardens- adjoining land was donated by Dr. Jolls for the municipal building. House an excellent example of Italianate . . . — Map (db m80547) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Michael Cemetery 1874
In 1848, Johann Georg Michael, a stone mason, came from Fischborn, Baden, Germany, to establish a residence in East Hamburgh, New York. On his 80 acres, he grew fruit. In 1855, he married Caroline Reichert from Unterschefflenz, Baden, Germany. The . . . — Map (db m82368) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Obadiah Baker Homestead
Built in 1840 - replaced log cabin erected when property was acquired from Holland Land Company in 1804. The Baker family - prominent Quakers in this area - lived here for five generations. This home served as one last station of Underground Railway . . . — Map (db m80830) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Orchard Park Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway Johnson-Jolls House —
Ambrose C. Johnson (1823-1894) and his wife Mary Abbey (1826-1901) of Hamburg came to Orchard Park about 1855. In 1858 Ambrose began a partnership with Charles Hewson, founding Johnson & Hewson's Dry Goods. The store, located immediately north on . . . — Map (db m80749) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Orchard Park Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway Quaker Meetinghouse —
The Quaker Meetinghouse, formally known as the "Meetinghouse of the Orchard Park Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of friends", is home to Erie County's oldest active congregation. Known as "Quakers" they brought with them their lifestyle, . . . — Map (db m80772) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Orchard Park Depot
Erected in 1911 by the Buffalo, Rochester and Pittsburgh Railway through the generous efforts of wealthy Orchard Park philanthropist, Harry Yates. In 1971, the vacant depot and freight house were purchased by local resident developers, Mr. & . . . — Map (db m80566) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Site of Erastus D. Webster Homestead
The Webster Family were early settlers in this community. Erastus Webster served under Secretary of State Seward in the Cabinet of President Abraham Lincoln. He represented the U.S. Gov't during the transfer of the Confederate emissaries Mason and . . . — Map (db m80546) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Site of Erie County Agricultural Fair September 11-12, 1855
Fairgrounds covered 4 acres in Potter's Grove, Town of East Hamburg (presently Orchard Park). The Fair was addressed by Horace Greely, Editor, New York Herald Tribune. Erected by the Orchard Park Historical Society and Village of Orchard . . . — Map (db m80568) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Site of First Post Office in Present Orchard Park Township
Established at John Green's Tavern, April 8, 1814 and discontinued April 13, 1820. Mail arrived at this post office 3 times weekly. Settlers traveled miles to receive their mail here. — Map (db m80795) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Village of Orchard Park Western New York Southtowns Scenic Byway Orchard Park Railroad Depot and Steinwach Town Park —
The Orchard Park Railroad Depot - One Hundred Years (1912 - 2012)- preserved for the next century to enjoy. The Village of Orchard Park, incorporated in 1921, exists today as a result of the vision and planning of Harry Yates, a local businessman . . . — Map (db m82371) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement