Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Orinda, California Historical Markers

 
1923 Orinda Improvement Association Marker - wide view image, Touch for more information
By Andrew Ruppenstein, January 31, 2020
1923 Orinda Improvement Association Marker - wide view
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — 1923 Orinda Improvement Association
The Orinda Improvement Association, inaugurated on May 22, 1923, was the voice of the citizens in the 1920s and beyond. It brought adequate phone service and fire protection, and consolidated the local school districts. Additional . . . — Map (db m145030) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — 1923 The Fire House
The first Orinda firehouse was built in 1923 after several homes burned down. It looked like a garage and accommodated one truck which held 2 barrels of water. In 1935, the building was remodeled in the California Spanish style, and a . . . — Map (db m145155) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — 1925 Orinda Union School
The Orinda Union School was built here in 1925. This was after the first tunnel was bored through the Berkeley Hills, roads were paved and the village became more easily accessible, causing a gradual increase in population. It continued . . . — Map (db m145021) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — 1958 The Orinda Library
The Orinda Library began as a branch of the Contra Costa Library in 1915 with a small collection at the Orinda Park School (current site of Wagner Ranch School). The 4 x 4 bookcase was moved to the old Orinda Store, Firehouse, and . . . — Map (db m145031) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Bryant Station Site
Bryant Station was the terminus of the California and Nevada Railroad, a narrow-gauge steam line which transported local harvests to the Emeryville docks. The railroad, formed in 1881, was originally planned to run passengers and freight to the . . . — Map (db m24647) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Did You Know that Orinda Once Had a Railroad? The California and Nevada Railroad Landmarking Orinda's History —
Just east of this monument is the last remaining original post from the C&N Railroad trestle structure. The C&N was incorporated on March 25, 1884. J.S. Emery was listed as the railroad's president, for which present day Emeryville is named. . . . — Map (db m144979) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Miner Ranch
Miner Ranch Site 1879 Historic Landmark Designated by the City of Orinda on Aug. 11, 1992 Ordinance Number 92-6 — Map (db m145024) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Pony Express 1860-1861
A nearby plaque commemorates the passage in 1860-1861 of Pony Express riders from Sacramento to the San Francisco terminus. They usually rode river steamers, but 20 times the Pony Express took an overland route as the steamers did not . . . — Map (db m142217) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — The Crossroads
Orinda's Theatre District, historically known as the Crossroads, was developed in the early 20th century after homes were built around the established ranches. More families, such as the Bryants, settled or built summer homes here. It is . . . — Map (db m136738) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — The deLaveaga Station Landmarking Orinda's History
Did you know that Orinda once had a railroad? This building is the only remaining station of the California & Nevada Railroad. The C&N, a narrow gauge line constructed in 1890, ran 23 miles between Emeryville and Orinda hauling farm . . . — Map (db m123143) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — The Pony Express
Pony Express Trail This plaque commemorates the passage in 1860 and 1861 of the Pony Express riders from Sacramento to San Francisco through what is now Orinda. Sponsored by the City of Orinda's Historical Landmark Committee and the Pony . . . — Map (db m29913) HM
California (Contra Costa County), Orinda — Tres Ranchos Del Sur Boundary Marker and Monument Historic Landmark - The City of Orinda —
Ordinance Number 03-07 October 7, 2003 The junction of three Mexican land grants - Rancho Acalanes, Rancho El Sobrante and Rancho Laguna de los Palos Colorados - is located approximately 500 feet uphill from the end of Hillcrest Drive. . . . — Map (db m91848) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement