Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Oskaloosa, Kansas Historical Markers

 
Bandstand and Marker image, Touch for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., March 9, 2013
Bandstand and Marker
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — 10 — Bandstand
The original Jefferson County Court House grounds Bandstand was constructed in 1906 and existed on the southwest corner of the court house grounds until it was destroyed in the 1960 tornado that also severely damaged the court house building. . . . — Map (db m63731) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — Blacksmith Shop
The Blacksmith Shop building is new (1983), but houses tools that were used in late 1800's and early 1900's. Many of the tools are from Archie Brown's shop in McLouth. — Map (db m63732) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — 9 — Bowstring Bridge
Built in Cleveland, Ohio in 1875. Originally it crossed Rock Creek north of Meriden. It was relocated in the 1950's to southeast of Valley Falls. It was moved in 1975 to Old Jefferson Town. — Map (db m63734) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — 7 — Edmonds Chapel
The church building was completed in 1891 and was located 4 miles north of McLouth at the intersection of Union (Hwy 92) and 118th. It was a United Brethren Church and became Evangelical United Brethren (E.U.B.) in 1946 with the unification of . . . — Map (db m63747) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — Jefferson County Memorial Park
Dedicated to the citizens of Jefferson County to honor those who served in the Armed Forces and those who died for their country. — Map (db m63730) WM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — 1 — John Steuart Curry Boyhood Home
Native Kansas artist John Steuart Curry (1897 - 1946), best known for the murals he painted in the Kansas State Capital [sic] building, was born and raised in Jefferson County. John lived in the home until 1914. It was located 6 miles north of . . . — Map (db m63746) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — 6 — Kilgour School Building - Dist. No. 72 (West Portion of This Building)
The Kilgour School was formed in 1869. The building was located about 4 miles southwest of Oskaloosa and the the [sic] corner of 78th and Lincoln. It was moved to Oskaloosa in 1950 and became part of the elementary grade school complex (Grades . . . — Map (db m63765) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — Ozawkie Mill Grinding Wheel 1865 - 1912
Grinding Wheel from Ozawkie Mill Donated by Howard Pence Family — Map (db m63763) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — 6 — Plum Grove School Buiding - Dist. No. 39 (East Portion of This Building)
The Plum Grove School District was formed in 1863. It was located about 5 miles northeast of Oskaloosa near 122nd & Saline. It was moved to Oskaloosa in 1950 and became part of the elementary grade school complex (Grades 1-4), along with . . . — Map (db m63764) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — 4 — Reynolds Store
Robert Wesley Reynolds (1847 - 1935) built his two story building on McLouth's Main Street in 1887 where it was used as a merchandise store. The porch was added when the building was moved to Old Jefferson Town in 1970. — Map (db m63754) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — Tibbott School Building - Dist. No. 54
Originally a one-room school building, 7 miles southeast of Oskaloosa )1/2 mile south of intersection of Republic and 54th). It was built in 1903 (28' X 44'), was moved to Oskaloosa in 1950 and used as part of Oskaloosa's elementary grade school . . . — Map (db m63767) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Oskaloosa — 3 — Winchester Jail
The jail building was relocated from Winchester to Old JeffersonTown in 1977. The Winchester town police were more likely to use the jail as a sleep-over from drunks [than] to contain a criminal. It also served as a meeting place for city . . . — Map (db m63748) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement