Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Oxford, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Graves of John Johnston Craig and his wife Sarah G. Craig (nee Isom) near marker. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton
Graves of John Johnston Craig and his wife Sarah G. Craig (nee Isom) near marker.
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Buckner-Craig-Isom Cemetery
Buried here between 1837 and 1865 are early settlers of Lafayette Co. Among these is the grave of John J. Craig, purchaser of the Indian lands that are now Lafayette Co. and donor of the site of Oxford. — Map (db m102979) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Burns "Belfry" Church
Site of Oxford's first African American church, organized by former slaves in 1869-70. First called Sewell Chapel. In 1900, the church was renamed Burns Methodist Episcopal Church. The original wooden building was replaced in 1910 by the present . . . — Map (db m102880) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Freedmen Town
After the Civil War, many freedmen from Lafayette County moved into Oxford; settled in the area bounded by Jackson Avenue, Price Street, the railroad and 9th Street; bought land, built houses, schools and churches; and exercised the rights and . . . — Map (db m102881) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Jacob Thompson's "Home Place"
The mansion ca. 1853 located on this site was burned by Union troops in 1864. Two original outbuildings are included in the present house, built in 1869. Jacob Thompson (1810-1885), a native of North Carolina, moved to Pontotoc, Mississippi, in . . . — Map (db m102991) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — L. Q. C. Lamar House
Home of Lucius Quintus Cincinnatus Lamar from 1868 to 1888. Lamar was an educator at the University of Mississippi; a colonel, 19th Miss. Inf., CSA; a U.S. congressman; senator; Secretary of the Interior; and an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme . . . — Map (db m102883) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Lafayette County Confederate Monument
Front In Memory of The Patriotism of the Confederate Soldiers Of Lafayette County, Mississippi. ______ They Gave Their Lives In A Just and Holy Cause. Erected 1907 Left side (West) A . . . — Map (db m102994) WM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Lafayette County Courthouse
The original courthouse was burned in August 1864 by Union Troops led by Gen. A. J. Smith. Judge R. A. Hill secured Federal funds to construct the present courthouse which was completed and occupied in January 1872. — Map (db m102877) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Mississippi Central R.R. Campaign
On December 2, 1862, as the Confederates fell back to the Yalobusha River, Union Gen. U.S. Grant moved his headquarters from Waterford to Abbeville. On the 4th, he moved to Oxford, while his advance crossed the Yocona River. W.T. . . . — Map (db m102879) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Oxford
Chartered in 1836 on Chickasaw cession land, Oxford was named for the university town in England and became home to the University of Mississippi in 1848. During the Civil War, Generals Grant and Sherman met in Oxford (1862), and the Square and many . . . — Map (db m102878) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — 143 — Oxford & Lafayette County Blues
Front Lafayette County’s blues history has encompassed a wide range of activity by scholars, promoters, record companies, and musicians. The nightlife of Oxford has welcomed both local performers and national touring acts. The most . . . — Map (db m102876) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Oxford Cemetery
E. 3 blocks. Here are buried L. Q. C. Lamar, statesman; A.B. Longstreet, author, educator; Wm. Delay, veteran of 3 wars; Sarah McG. Isom, first southern university faculty woman; & I.D. Isom; first white settler in county. — Map (db m102682) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — Rowan Oak
Built c. 1848. From 1930 to 1962 home of novelist William Faulkner, who named it for the rowan tree, symbol of security and peace. Now maintained as a literary landmark by the University of Mississippi. — Map (db m102988) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — The Oxford-University Depot
Built in 1872 by the Mississippi Central R.R. (later part of the Illinois Central line), this depot replaced an earlier structure burned during the Civil War. For many years, the depot was a hub of activity for the town and the University of . . . — Map (db m102679) HM
Mississippi (Lafayette County), Oxford — William Faulkner
The creator of Yoknapatawpha County, whose stories about his people won him the Nobel Prize, is buried twenty steps east of this marker. — Map (db m102882) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement