26 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Ozona
Ozona, Texas and Vicinity
▶ Crockett County (32) ▶ Crane County (6) ▶ Irion County (7) ▶ Pecos County (22) ▶ Reagan County (9) ▶ Schleicher County (13) ▶ Sutton County (30) ▶ Terrell County (7) ▶ Upton County (5) ▶ Val Verde County (43)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
| . . . — — Map (db m7413) HM|
|Built 1902. Second courthouse for county. American Gothic architecture, planned by Oscar Ruffini, San Angelo. Material is fine stone quarried nearby on Meyer and Couch properties. Cost $30,000.
Early day community social center. Used for cowboy . . . — — Map (db m116313) HM|
|Built 1892, about a year after county's organization; contractor was Z.D. Gafford of San Angelo. Building stone was quarried to north of structure, on Meyers property. Tower may have been designed for hangings, but no gallows were ever installed. . . . — — Map (db m116730) HM|
|In 1923 World Oil Co., owned by Chester R. Bunker, Ft. Worth publisher and printer, began drilling on the L. P. Powell Ranch. Work progressed slowly, depending on the availability of money, under the direction of superintendent Mickey Green and the . . . — — Map (db m117985) HM|
| (Inscription on front of monument)
.. Be sure you are right - then go ahead ..
(Inscription on rear of monument)
David Crockett was born in Tennessee on August 17, 1786
Participated in the Creek Indian Campaign 1813-1814 . . . — — Map (db m116599) HM|
|The first platted town in Crockett County, Emerald was founded in 1889 by Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railway Immigration Agent T. W. Wilkinson. It was to be an agricultural shipping point on a planned extension of the F.W. & R.G. Publicized from Maine . . . — — Map (db m117502) HM|
|A native of Illinois, E. M. Powell was a surveyor and railroad engineer in Kentucky before moving to Texas in 1874. He worked as a surveyor during the railroad construction boom in Texas in the 1870s, taking parcels of land in payment for his . . . — — Map (db m143982) HM|
|Site 33 miles west on U.S. 290. Upon U.S. surrender Texas forts start of Civil War. Made part Confederate far western frontier line. Occupied by 2nd Texas Cavalry on supply line to and from Arizona-New Mexico. Campaign 1861-62, intended to make . . . — — Map (db m7284) HM|
|A Confederate veteran. Captain, Co. B. 2nd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry, Civil War. Born in Mississippi. Came to Texas, 1877. Served as county clerk after moving here, 1888.
Married Elizabeth A. Royal. One of his 5 children was U.S. Congressman . . . — — Map (db m126676) HM|
|First station after leaving Ozona on the San Angelo-Ozona mail line. Here, at the 20-mile point of an 86-mile run, fresh horses awaited. The stand, built in 1902, served one of Texas' last commercial stage lines.
Ten horses were kept here, as at . . . — — Map (db m116312) HM|
|A Confederate veteran.
Born in Lamar County. In Civil War, was in Co. G, Col. R.T.P. Allen's Texas Infantry, and was discharged in 1865.
On September 5, 1871, married Miss Matilda Peacock, in Lampasas County. They had 2 sons. Moved to . . . — — Map (db m126679) HM|
|Although Indians, Spaniards, wagon trains, and military expeditions crossed through this area earlier, the first permanent settlers in present-day Crockett County were native Texans Laura (McNutt) (1862-1941) and William Peery Hoover (1854-1922), . . . — — Map (db m126680) HM|
|Built about 1893. From its early days, boarded teachers, visiting athletic teams and business callers in city.
Noted guests of 1919-1921 were geologists and lease men seeking to develop the now-significant oil fields of Crockett . . . — — Map (db m116349) HM|
|The first permanent school building in Ozona; constructed of native limestone in 1910-1912, when Ozona was only 21 years old. The heating and ventilating system, never before used in the state when installed here, is still in operation daily. . . . — — Map (db m116729) HM|
|Constructed 1905 for county's first financial institution.
Organized by cattle and sheep ranchers and the town's doctor.
During construction of native stone building, banking was done next door in store of L. B. Cox, vice-president. J. W. . . . — — Map (db m116315) HM|
|By the 1920s many ranchers in Crockett County had fenced their land, preventing their neighbors from driving sheep and cattle to the railroad shipping point in Barnhart (23 miles north of here). A solution to the problem was offered by the . . . — — Map (db m116311) HM|
|Focus for civic life in early Ozona. City founder E. M. Powell provided the water well equipped with 18-foot windmill, a water trough, and a small cypress tank.
At first meeting of Crockett County Commissioners Court, July 22, 1891, under a . . . — — Map (db m116594) HM|
|This site was selected for the Crockett County seat in 1891 because of a producing water well (200' northwest). Joe Moss, who drilled for water throughout the area, dug the well for E. M. Powell (1847-1925), railroad surveyor, financier, and land . . . — — Map (db m116593) HM|
|U.S. Army veteran of Civil War, discharged after loss of arm, siege of Vicksburg.
Born in Pennsylvania. Came to Texas after war. Was a farmer-teacher-postmaster.
Wives: (1) Melinde Beal; (2) Zilla Parker. Had 4 children. Lived in Ozona . . . — — Map (db m117983) HM|
|A Confederate veteran, of 18th La. Cav. Bn., Civil War.
Born in Louisiana. Came to Texas in 1872; to Ozona, 1891. Built city's first school, first courthouse, Baptist church, other structures.
Married Alice Crimm, March 1, 1876. Had three . . . — — Map (db m126678) HM|
|Flagstone ruins nearby mark site of early 1900s stage stand, first stop on passenger and mail line connecting Ozona with Southern Pacific railhead at Comstock — 80 miles distant.
When stage pulled in about 8:30 A.M. (having left Ozona at . . . — — Map (db m79331) HM|
|Although the early history of this structure is unrecorded, it is known that the house originally was built in the townsite of Emerald (9 miles east). Established in 1889 as Crockett County's first settlement, Emerald was the colonization project of . . . — — Map (db m117507) HM|
|In 1892 Claude B. Hudspeth (1877-1941) began publication of a weekly newspaper called the "Ozona Kicker." Following his three-year ownership, Hudspeth entered politics, serving first in the Texas Legislature and later as representative from the . . . — — Map (db m116348) HM|
|In 1893, T.L. Hammonds moved a 3-room frame house from the nearby town of Emerald to this site. In 1894, Phillip Perner (1860-1905), a local merchant, purchased and enlarged the structure. Following Perner's death, his wife, Mary Ross . . . — — Map (db m127877) HM|
|Born in Maryland. Fought in Civil War as a Virginian in the Confederate Army, although he had brothers in the U.S. Army. He came to Texas soon after the war. Married Henrietta Norrid in Fredericksburg, August 23, 1870. Lived in Ozona in old age. . . . — — Map (db m117977) HM|
A versatile sculptor of people, animals, birds and religious symbols, McVey attended the University of Texas and taught art there and at Rice University. He played football at Rice under the legendary coach John Heisman in 1924. McVey studied and . . . — — Map (db m7286) HM|