Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Palm Springs, California Historical Markers

 
Desert Inn Marker image, Touch for more information
By Denise Boose, Dec 2008
Desert Inn Marker
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — 044 — Desert Inn — County of Riverside Historical Marker No. 044
On this site in 1908, Nellie N. Coffman (1867-1950), husband Harry and two sons, George Roberson and Earl Coffman established a small health resort hotel, Desert Inn. Her ability, determination, and charm extended the resorts reputation and people . . . — Map (db m113078) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-29 — Dr. Smith / Dr. Peppers Office
This small Spanish Eclectic structure was the northernmost residence in the village of Palm Springs when it was built in the 1920s. As the city grew, there was an increasing need for community services, especially along "Main Street," and Dr. Smith . . . — Map (db m82141) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-7 — Frances S. Stevens School
Prescott T. Stevens, developer of the El Mirador Hotel, donated this site and the funds to build the Frances S. Stevens School, in memory of his wife and her interest in education. The first two rooms were completed in 1927. Katherine Finchy, who . . . — Map (db m82139) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-26 — General Telephone Building
This structure was built c. 1934 by the California Water & Telephone Company as a business office and switching center. It was purchased by General Telephone in 1967 and continued as a switching center until 1984. The structure is constructed of . . . — Map (db m52738) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-9 — Lykken’s Department Store
Desert pioneer, Carl Lykken, built the first general store in the village in 1914. For many years it contained the only telephone and the post office. The store was remodeled with the existing overhang and arches when sidewalks were installed in the . . . — Map (db m52734) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-5 — McCallum House
The McCallum Adobe, the oldest remaining building in Palm Springs was built in 1885 for John and Emily McCallum, the areas first white settlers. Originally constructed on the corner of Palm Canyon Drive and Tahquitz Way, and later a part of the . . . — Map (db m52731) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — Moorten Botanical Garden
Site of Moorten’s Desert Land and Botanical Garden, established by Patricia and Cactus Slim Moorten, 1940. — Map (db m131654) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-10 — Oasis Hotel
The Oasis Hotel, constructed 1923-25, contained approximately 20 units and included the Tower Building, the only three story hotel building in Palms Springs for many years. The 40 foot tower, with its pyramidal roof, provided access to the . . . — Map (db m52742) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-22A — Plaza Theatre
The Plaza Theatre opened in December 1936 with a screening of "Camille", a tragic love story starring Robert Taylor and Greta Garbo; actor Ralph Bellamy served as master of ceremonies for this event which attracted about 40 Hollywood celebrities. . . . — Map (db m82142) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-11 — Site of First Community Church
This is the site of the first community church in Palm Springs. Welwood Murray donated the land in 1906 and the little church stood as a landmark in the village until 1934. The existing Carnell Building designed by Harold Williams was completed in . . . — Map (db m52736) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPB-8 — Street Marker
This is one of the original street markers used following the incorporation of the City of Palm Springs in 1938. Dr. J. J. Kocher and Philip Boyd, then secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, had renamed the streets in 1930 at which time Main Avenue . . . — Map (db m82140) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — 31 — The Cork'n Bottle BuildingBuilt 1935-36
A rare example of a Depression Era Art Modern style building in Palm Springs. The double and triple bands of horizontal 'streamline' moldings, flat unembellished blocky wall surfaces, and symmetrical façade are characteristics of the Art Modern . . . — Map (db m52737) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — The Hot Springs
The Kausik Cahuilla are the owners of one of California's most famous hot springs. This natural resource provided them with permanent, palatable mineral waters which were used for curing, drinking, and agriculture. It also was a direct access to . . . — Map (db m113072) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — RIV-025 — The Original Palm Springs
The warm spring here was the site of Se-Khe (Boiling Water), important village of the Kawasic Cahuilla Indians. The Spanish called it Agua Caliente (Hot Water). A stage station of that name operated from 1862 to 1876. As early as 1871 the Indians . . . — Map (db m131585) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — 33 — Tramway Gas StationBuilt in 1965
Designed by Albert Frey and Robson Chambers. Conceived by developer Culver Nichols as an entry statement to Palm Springs, the roof is a hyperbolic paraboloid of steel I-beams and corrugated metal roofing supported by steel tubular pillars. . . . — Map (db m131565) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — HSPS-13 — Welwood Murray Memorial Library
In 1938 George Welwood Murray donated this land to provide for a library as a memorial to his father, Welwood Murray, pioneer hotel operator. Cornelia white donated an additional strip of property on the eastern end of the site. The existing . . . — Map (db m52732) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.