Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Palo Alto, California Historical Markers

 
Hewlett-Packard Garage image, Touch for more information
By Mathew H. Kohnen, November 7, 2007
Hewlett-Packard Garage
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 976 — Birthplace of “Silicon Valley”
This garage is the birthplace of the world’s first high-technology region, “Silicon Valley.” The idea for such a region originated with Dr. Frederick Terman, a Stanford university professor who encouraged his students to start up their . . . — Map (db m3402) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — El Palo Nuevo
On November 8, 1789, Don Gaspar De Portola and his expedition in search of Monterey Bay, camped beside San Francisquito Creek near a century-old redwood tree long a landmark for the Indians. The tree named El Palo Alto, became a symbol for the city . . . — Map (db m92466) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 836 — Electronics Research Laboratory
Original site of the laboratory and factory of Federal Telegraph Company, founded in 1909 by Cyril F. Elwell. Here, with two assistants, Dr. Lee de Forest, inventor of the three-element radio vacuum tube, devised in 1911-13 the first vacuum tube . . . — Map (db m2604) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 1000 — First Commercially Practicable Integrated Circuit
At this site in 1959, Dr. Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation invented the first integrated circuit that could be produced commercially. Based on “planar” technology, an earlier Fairchild breakthrough, Noyce’s invention . . . — Map (db m54014) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — From Sea Scouts to Environmental VolunteersDesde Exploradores de Mar al Voluntario Ambiental
In 1941, this unique building stood at the edge of a yacht harbor. It was constructed for the Sea Scouts, a part of the Boy Scouts of America. After 50 years of use, the Sea Scouts left the base in 1991. This was five years after Palo Alto residents . . . — Map (db m100130) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — SCL-003 — Herring Box School
Under a great live oak and near this spot stood the first school in the old town of Mayfield, now a part of Palo Alto. It was erected in 1855, pioneering what was to become the community's major interest, education. Two later schools successively . . . — Map (db m53650) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Herring Box School
Under a great live oak and near this spot stood the first school in the old town of Mayfield, now a part of Palo Alto. It was erected in 1855, pioneering what was to become the community's major interest, education. Two later schools successively . . . — Map (db m53658) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — History of Tower Well
This tower well symbolizes what is best about a forward thinking, progressive city government that chose local ownership of essential utility services. Due to the foresight of town leaders such as Stanford Engineering professors Charles "Daddy" Marx . . . — Map (db m91257) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 969 — Homesite of Sarah WallisMayfield Farm
Sarah Armstrong Wallis (1825–1905) was a pioneer in the campaign for women’s voting rights. In 1870 she was elected president of California’s first statewide suffrage organization which in 1873 incorporated as the California State Woman . . . — Map (db m2718) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 895 — Hostess House
This building originally served Camp Fremont as a meeting place for servicemen and visitors. When moved from its original site to Palo Alto, it became the first municipally sponsored community center in the nation. It is the only remaining structure . . . — Map (db m54017) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — J. Pearce Mitchell Park
J. Pearce Mitchell Park, built in 1957, was one of the first of a new type of community park based on active recreation for leisure living. The design for this park and its playground served as important examples for many other parks and playgrounds . . . — Map (db m92467) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 857 — John Adams Squire House
Designed by T. Paterson Ross and constructed by builder George W. Mosher in 1904, this house is a notable example of California's interpretation of the Greco-Roman Classic Revival movement in America. — Map (db m2715) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Juana Briones Park
Rancho La Purísima Conceptión was granted to a former Santa Clara Mission Indian, Jose Gorgonio, by Governor Alvarado on June 30, 1840. In 1844, Gorgonio and another Indian, José Ramon, sold the grant to Dona Juana Briones de Miranda, who lived with . . . — Map (db m90786) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Juana Briones. This is her park.
Juana Briones de Miranda lived not far from here at Rancho la Purísima Concepción. From her house on a knoll in the rolling foothills of Palo Alto, she could look down on the very land you’re standing on. Of course that would’ve been when she wasn’t . . . — Map (db m94503) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Mayfield Fire Bell
From 1907 to 1925 this bell was used to summon the volunteer firemen of the town of Mayfield. First used at College Avenue and El Camino Real. The bell was transferred to the town hall at El Camino Real and California Avenue in 1921. When Mayfield . . . — Map (db m91031) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Mayfield School
Mayfield's first school built in 1855 it was a two-room log cabin which was soon outgrown. Mayfield later built two new schools to serve the increasing population of young people and even offered some adult education in mathematics. In 1923, on the . . . — Map (db m90884) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Motion Picture Research Commemoration
In commemoration of the motion picture research conducted in 1878 and 1879 at the Palo Alto Farm now the site of Stanford University This extensive photographic experiment portraying the attitudes of men and animals in motion was conceived by . . . — Map (db m113015) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Play Ball!
Baseball was the country’s favorite sport in the 1890’s. Communities across America supported amateur baseball teams comprised of local young men. Mayfield’s baseball team, the Ringtailed Roarers, played other local teams up and down the Peninsula, . . . — Map (db m91111) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Semiconductor Planar Process and Integrated Circuit, 1959IEEE Milestone in Electrical Engineering and Computing
The 1959 invention of the Planar Process by Jean A. Hoerni and the Integrated Circuit (IC) based on planar technology by Robert N. Noyce catapulted the semiconductor industry into the silicon IC era. This pair of pioneering inventions lead to the . . . — Map (db m54015) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — 524 — Site of Juana Briones de Miranda Home on Rancho La Purisima Concepcion
In 1844 Juana de Briones de Miranda, a pioneer Latina property owner, businesswoman and humanitarian, purchased the 4,439 acre Rancho La Purisima Concepcion from Indian grantee Jose Gorgornio. The grant extended two miles south, encompassing . . . — Map (db m54016) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — The Crossroads of Mayfield
Long before Stanford University and the City of Palo Alto existed, this area of the Mexican land grant, Rancho Rincon de San Francisquito Creek was a crossroads of travel and commerce. In the 1850's, it would take Juana Briones three days to travel . . . — Map (db m90886) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — The Hostess House War and Veterans Memorial
[Several veterans memorials are located at the base of the flagstaff in front of the Hostess House.] Side A: 1861 – 1865 McKinley Post Number 187 Dept. of Calif. And Nev. Grand Army of the Republic . . . — Map (db m54117) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Town and Gown
On October I, 1891, Stanford University opened its doors after six years of planning and building. The University was named after Jane and Leland Stanford's only child, Leland Stanford, Junior. Stanford University and Palo Alto have been . . . — Map (db m90887) HM
California (Santa Clara County), Palo Alto — Uncle Jim’s Cabin
In 1853 James Otterson built a hotel near this corner. It was the first building in what would become Mayfield, later a part of Palo Alto. Travelers between San Francisco and San Jose stayed here, as did lumbermen coming from the hills to the bay. — Map (db m94490) HM

24 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement