Built in 1855; used as a storeroom for landlord's share of Panna Maria crops. The landlord, John Twohig, a devout Catholic, set aside one room of store for the church and school.
Owned and operated by the Snoga family since 1918. . . . — — Map (db m131919) HM
Settled by 100 Polish families who came to Texas to gain economic, political and religious freedom.
Led by Father Leopold Moczygemba, O.F.M., Conv., they made a contract in 1854 with John Twohig, a San Antonio banker and merchant, for land at . . . — — Map (db m131916) HM
Built 1875; second oldest store in Panna Maria; still has original rafters and floors. Lime for mortaring stones (visible on back and sides) was fired in home kilns. Store was bought by Victor Pilarczyk, 1913. First gas pump was installed 1919. . . . — — Map (db m131918) HM
Built 1868. Oldest Polish private school in America.
Since 1855, classes had been held in various sites. This was the first school building in the colony at Panna Maria. Teachers lived upstairs and classes were held on the ground floor. . . . — — Map (db m131920) HM
Oldest Polish settlement in Texas -
Established December 24, 1854 by
the Reverend Leopold Moczygemba
O.F.M., who was instrumental in
bringing from Poland about 100
Polish peasant families - Within a
few months the majority sought . . . — — Map (db m131917) HM