Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pasadena, California Historical Markers

 
Beckman pH Meter Marker image, Touch for more information
By Craig Baker, September 29, 2018
Beckman pH Meter Marker
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Beckman pH MeterNational Historic Chemical Landmark - 1934
Arnold O. Beckman developed the first commercially successful electronic pH meter while a member of the faculty of the California Institute of Technology. This rugged and portable “acidimeter,” which had all necessary components . . . — Map (db m124162) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Benjamin Davis WilsonDon Benito
To the memory of Benjamin Davis Wilson, Don Benito, 1811 – 1878, pioneer trapper and settler who came to California in 1841, and in 1864 blazed the trail up this mountain which bears his name. — Map (db m123037) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Bonham Alley
Named for Perry P. Bonham, a plumber who occupied 45 West Colorado Boulevard in the Hugus and Bonham Block. Today, the late nineteenth-century masonry buildings are grouped behind a two-story Spanish Colonial facade. Bonham served as a police . . . — Map (db m72695) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Brainard Alley
Named for J.C. Brainard who was a partner in the development of Prospect Park, one of Pasadena's first prestigious residential subdivisions. He was the first President of the Pasadena Board of Realtors (1908) and was an officer of the Home Telephone . . . — Map (db m72644) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Braley Building
Built in 1906 for Edgar R. Braley, an influential figure in early Pasadena. Braley was a well respected businessman who also served as a park, fire, and police commissioner. The Braley Building at 35 South Raymond Avenue was the former site of two . . . — Map (db m71231) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Christensen Alley
Named for the family that founded the Penn Oil and Supply Company in 1903, the First Independent Firestone and Union Oil Dealership on the West Coast. In the early 1930s, G.C. Christensen opened the largest and most modern automotive service . . . — Map (db m72694) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Edwin Alley
Named for General Edwin Ward, a major real estate investor and owner of the Ward Block and the Grand Hotel at the southwest corner of Colorado Boulevard and Fair Oaks Avenue originally named "Grimes Alley" after Charles Grimes whose restaurant and . . . — Map (db m72689) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Electric Alley
Named for the Pacific Electric Railway Company. The now-vanished Pacific Alley Intersected Electric Alley at mid-block. Owned by Henry E. Huntingon, the Pacific Electric System was the largest electric railway in the world, covering Southern . . . — Map (db m72682) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Exchange Alley
Named for the "Exchange Block Building" at 13-27 East Colorado Boulevard whose most important business was the Carlton Hotel, a first-class business hotel established in 1886. On the first floor were Harper & Reynolds Hardware Company and Alexander . . . — Map (db m71145) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Fenyes Estate
Built 1905 Been Placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m74140) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Fraiser Alley
Named for Dr. J. Carvasso Fraser, Physician for the Raymond Hotel in the 1890s. The Raymond Hotel, perhaps the finest of Pasadena's early grand resort hotels, was located on South Raymond Avenue on Raymond Hill, two miles south of Colorado . . . — Map (db m72693) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Harvard’s Mount Wilson Station
Station of Harvard College Observatory 1889–1890 — Map (db m119706) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Hayes Alley
Named for Orrin Henry Hayes, an early Pasadena Hay and Feed Merchant. His father, W.F. Hayes, opened a family grocery store on South Fair Oaks Avenue in 1881, one of the community's earliest business enterprises. — Map (db m72678) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Hopkins Alley
Named for Casper T. Hopkins, a major proponent for the establishment of a Public Library in Pasadena. In 1880, he purchased the eighty acre "Olivewood Tract" that fronted Colorado Boulevard between El Molino and Lake Avenues. Hopkins served as . . . — Map (db m72685) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Iris GardenAlfred Henry Sturtevant
In memory of Alfred Henry Sturtevant, Geneticist and Naturalist, Professor of Biology at the California Institute of Technology from 1928 to 1970. These iris resulted from genetic studies he made between 1952 and 1969. — Map (db m124155) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Jet Propulsion Laboratory
On October 31, 1936 at a site approximately 400 yards to the southeast, in the Arroyo Seco River Bed, a group of students and co-workers from the Guggenheim Aeronautical Laboratory, California Institute of Technology (GALCIT), with the encouragement . . . — Map (db m118834) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Kendall Alley
Named for Bela Otis Kendall, a well-known businessman in Pasadena. During the boom of 1886, he built the B.O. Kendall Company, located at 35 North Raymond Avenue, into a thriving real estate business. Among the noteworthy buildings erected by the . . . — Map (db m72675) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Legge Alley
Named for Charles Legge, a real estate man who came to Pasadena from Iowa in 1875. He donated land for the community's First Public Library, which was built in Memorial Park in 1887. Legge was a director of the First National Bank of Pasadena . . . — Map (db m72642) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Martin Alley
Named for T.E. Martin who build The Webster Hotel in 1884 at the Southwest Corner of Colorado Boulevard and Fair Oaks Avenue. Later called The Grand Hotel, it was the scene of many social events in early Pasadena. — Map (db m72692) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — McCormick Alley
Named for E.L. McCormick, President of the American Bank & Trust Company from 1907-1910. The American Bank & Trust Company, organized in 1905, was located at the northeast corner of Colorado Street and Broadway at 135 East Colorado Street. A good . . . — Map (db m72691) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Mercantile Place
This well-named service road ran behind some of the most important retail merchants that fronted Colorado Boulevard from 1887 to the end of the 19th century. Among the retailers in this block were Hertel's Dry Goods, J.W. Woods (The Druggist who . . . — Map (db m71144) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Mercantile Place
This well-named service road ran behind some of the most important retail merchants that fronted Colorado Boulevard from 1887 to the end of the 19th century. Among the retailers in this block were Hertel's Dry Goods, J.W. Woods (The Druggist who . . . — Map (db m71234) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Michelson Pier on Mount Wilson
On this pier in 1926 Albert Abraham Michelson measured the velocity of light by means of a beam of light transmitted to Mount San Antonio and reflected back to this station — Map (db m57274) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Mills Place
Named for Alexander Fraser Mills, a nurseryman who planted a citrus grove on 7 1/2 acres at the northwest corner of Colorado Boulevard and Fair Oaks Avenue in 1878. Mills Place was originally named "Ward Alley." In 1885, a fire at this site . . . — Map (db m72687) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Pacific Alley
Named for the Pacific Electric Railway Company owned by Henry E. Huntington. The Pacific Electric System was the largest Electric Railway in the world, covering southern California with over 1,100 miles of track. By 1906, Pasadena was served by . . . — Map (db m72684) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 988 — Pacific Asia Museum
Grace Nicholson, a noted collector and authority on American Indian and Asian Art and artifacts, supervised the design of her combination gallery and museum which was completed in 1929. It has been called an outstanding example of 1920s revival . . . — Map (db m59818) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Pasadena City Hall1902-1931
In 1902 Pasadena erected their first City Hall on this side, C.H. Brown designed the two story masonry building and the firm of Dawson & Eldridge constructed the building for $36,532. The building was dedicated on November 19, 1902 and remained . . . — Map (db m71139) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Pasadena Public Library(1890-1927)
The stone memorial on this site represents the only remaining portion of the second Pasadena Public Library, an impressive castle-like structure built in the Romanesque architectural style. Designed by Pasadena architect, Harry Ridgeway, the . . . — Map (db m71141) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Pasadena Robinson MemorialJackie and Mack Robinson — Bronze Scultpures, 9 ft by 6 ft by 7 ft, 2,700 lbs each
The Pasadena Robinson Memorial sculptures were created through a community effort spearheaded by the Board of Directors of Pasadena Robinson Memorial and the City of Pasadena. The monumental bronze portraitures of Mack and Jackie Robinson focus on . . . — Map (db m71143) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Plotkin Alley
Named in 2010 for James Plotkin, the "Unoffical Mayor of Old Pasadena", and a well known businessman and community leader dedicated to the revitalization of Old Pasadena. As a founding member of the Pasadena Central Improvement Association, Plotkin . . . — Map (db m72681) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — The First Known AntiparticleHistoric Physics Site
Near this site, in August 1932, Carl David Anderson photographed the track of a cosmic ray particle in his cloud chamber. He identified this particle as the positron — the first known antiparticle. Historic Physics Site, Register of . . . — Map (db m124150) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 871 — The Gamble House
Built in 1908, the David B. Gamble House is a tribute to the genius of architects Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene. Its design represents a unique California lifestyle and is a masterpiece of American craftsmanship. In 1966 it was made . . . — Map (db m59811) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Throop Memorial Garden
Left Panel: This was once the site of Throop Hall, named after the founder of Throop University, Amos G. Throop. Throop University was founded in 1891 and became the California Institute of Technology in 1920. Built in 1910, Throop Hall was . . . — Map (db m124169) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Vietnam Veterans MemorialCity of Pasadena
We remember those who gave their lives and those who remain missing. Vernon Brackins * Bruce Brogoitti * James Carter * David Cash * Dale Chamberlain * Michael D'Aiello * Walter Davis * Timothy Duncan * Mark Enari * James Fullerton * Charles . . . — Map (db m71146) WM

34 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.