Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Pendleton, South Carolina Historical Markers

 
"The Hundreds" Marker<br>Front image, Touch for more information
By Brian Scott, April 23, 2012
"The Hundreds" Marker
Front
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-38 — "The Hundreds"
Front: This area was a hub of African-American life from the late-19th to mid-20th centuries. Anderson County Training School, built ca. 1922 as a Rosenwald school, closed in 1954 under the equalization program for black and white schools. . . . — Map (db m54824) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-24 — African American School Site
The one-room frame public school organized shortly after the Civil War, housed 76 students and 1 teacher by 1870. The school term lasted 1 month and 10 days. Jane Harris Hunter, founder of the Phillis Wheatley centers for working girls, attended the . . . — Map (db m9647) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-15 — Ashtabula
This plantation on the old road to Pickensville has been the home of several prominent S.C. families. Many of its owners were members of the Pendleton Farmers Society, and during the nineteenth century, studies, experiments, and advances in . . . — Map (db m9649) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-10 — Barnard Elliott Bee
Born Charleston, S.C., 1824. Graduated West Point 1845. Brigadier General, C.S.A., 1861. Commanded 3rd Brigade, Army of the Shenandoah. July 21, 1861, at Manassas, Va., where he gave Gen. T.J. Jackson the name "Stonewall." Mortally . . . — Map (db m39001) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-29 — Clement Hoffman Stevens
[Front]: Confederate Brig. Gen. Clement H. Stevens (1821-1864) is buried nearby in the Bee family plot. Born in Connecticut, Stevens moved to S.C. after his father's death in 1836. In 1861 he invented the first ironclad battery, which . . . — Map (db m9680) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Dr. Don C. Garrison President of Tri-County Technical College November 1, 1971 - July 31, 2003 —
In recognition of Dr. Don C. Garrison for his thirty-two years of devoted service as the second president of the College for his dynamic leadership within the College, the State technical college system, and community colleges nationwide; for his . . . — Map (db m18857) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-4 — Farmers Hall
. . . — Map (db m9589) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Health & Heritage Walking Trail
Founded in 1790, Pendleton was established as the judicial seat for the Pendleton District, today known as Anderson, Oconee and Pickens Counties. This Health and Heritage Walking Trail offers a glimpse into the past and the opportunity . . . — Map (db m29865) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Hunter's Store An Upcountry General Store
Located in the center of Historic Pendleton (1790), the building now housing the Pendleton District Commission was constructed in 1850 as a general store for Jesse Lewis. The business first came into the Hunter family in 1870 when it became . . . — Map (db m13903) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Joseph B. Douthit A National Leader in Soil and Water Conservation 1893 — 1972 —
Directly behind this marker is the homesite of Joe and Mary Broyles Douthit. Born in Anderson County January 30, 1893, graduate of Clemson University, 1914. Farmer and seed breeder, lifelong member and steward of Sandy Springs United Methodist . . . — Map (db m52075) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Old Mill Stone
Old Mill Stone From Woodburn Farm Presented to Pandleton Farmers Society by Mr. John Frank — Map (db m13910) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-22 — Pendleton
On April 8, 1790, the Justices of the Peace for Pendleton County purchased this land to establish the courthouse town of Pendleton. Once Cherokee Indian land, the town became the judicial, social and commercial center for what now are Anderson, . . . — Map (db m9614) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-6 — Printer John Miller
This London newspaper publisher and defender of a free press emigrated to Charleston in 1783 where he served as state printer and publisher of the first daily newspaper in South Carolina. Later in Pendleton he founded Miller's Weekly . . . — Map (db m144322) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-21 — Richard W. Simpson
Born in 1840, Colonel Simpson, lawyer, farmer, and legislator, drafted and executed Thomas Green Clemson's will, establishing Clemson Agricultural College in 1889. Simpson was first president of the college's board of trustees and once owned land . . . — Map (db m9682) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Tanglewood Mansion
This property was this site of a private residence as early as 1830's. In 1860, John Baylis Earle Sloan and his wife, Mollie Seaborne Sloan, established a home that became known as Tanglewood. The columns and the ruins seen today are all . . . — Map (db m16616) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — The Piazza
These extra wide porches, used for entertaining and enjoyment of he cool breezes, are called piazzas. Seen on every piazza is a joggling board. In this country, the joggling board got its start in Charleston in 1803. By lightly bouncing, . . . — Map (db m36306) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-17 — Thomas Green Clemson 1807 - 1888
A native Philadelphian and leading agriculturist, Mr. Clemson was U.S. charge d'affaires to Belgium, U.S. Superintendent of Agriculture, and the 1868 president of Pendleton Farmers Society. He married the daughter of John C. Calhoun, Anna, . . . — Map (db m9681) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Thomas Green Clemson
The paved brick walk leads to the gravesite of Thomas Green Clemson, founder of Clemson University. He was a Scientist, Agriculturist, Statesman, and Educator. His gift to South Carolina of an Institution for the promotion of education in the fields . . . — Map (db m13938) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Thomas Green Clemson Parkway
Dedicated in 1979 in Honor of Thomas Green Clemson 1807-1888 A Native Philadelphian and Leading Agriculturist. Mr. Clemson was U.S. Charge D'Affaires to Belgium, U.S. Superintendent of Agriculture, and the 1868 President . . . — Map (db m16617) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Willis Chapel Methodist Church
This is the Site of Willis Chapel Methodist Church Established 1883 — Map (db m52202) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — Woodburn Historic House
Memories of the Plantation Era -- Owners and Tenants Owners Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, elected Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina in 1822, made Woodburn Historic House his summer home around 1830. A graduate of Harvard . . . — Map (db m15361) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Pendleton — 4-20 — Woodburn Plantation
Some 200 yards west of here stands Woodburn, built by S.C. Lieutenant Governor Charles Cotesworth Pinckney by 1832. Dr. John B. Adger, Presbyterian minister to Armenia, bought Woodburn in 1852; in 1881 Augustine T. Smythe began a model stock farm . . . — Map (db m9588) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement