Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pennsville, New Jersey Historical Markers

 
Marker and Battery Control Station No. 2 image, Touch for more information
By Bill Coughlin, August 12, 2009
Marker and Battery Control Station No. 2
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — 1872 ConstructionBattery Control Station No. 2
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
The original 1872 plans specified that eleven gun emplacements with twenty guns and a mortar battery with six emplacements were to be built. Only two gun emplacements and two magazines were ever completed, the magazines are still visible to your . . . — Map (db m22040) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863
On Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling north.
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.       Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m114213) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Ammunition Hoist
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Emplacement #1 magazine had a capacity of 494 rounds in cases and 96 rounds in rack or total of 590 rounds. Ammunition was served to this passageway by two endless chain hoists with hooks. The hoists were connected by belts to small motors. These . . . — Map (db m22018) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Arnold
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
The three 12-inch guns were mounted at Fort Mott between February and June, 1898. The guns and carriages were unloaded from vessels at the government wharf and transported down the rail lines behind the parapet. The guns were hauled up inclined . . . — Map (db m21770) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Commander’s Station
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
After the two 5-inch guns were removed in 1917, an observation station was built over one of the original gun emplacements. This structure, the battery commander’s station for Battery Arnold, was made of reinforced concrete at a cost of $850.00. It . . . — Map (db m22019) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Edwards
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Named in honor of Captain Robert Edwards, who was killed in action near Frenchtown, Michigan in 1813. Battery Edwards has two casemates for 3-inch rapid fire guns, and was partially constructed using two magazines from the 1872 fortification. The . . . — Map (db m21790) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Gregg
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Battery Gregg is named in honor of Captain John C. Gregg, who served as Captain in the 4th Infantry and was killed in action near Mariquana, Philippine Islands, on March 31, 1899. Completed in December 1900, Battery Gregg was the fourth of Fort . . . — Map (db m21735) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Harker
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Battery Harker was named in honor of General Charles G. Harker, who served in the 2nd, 9th and 11th Infantry and was killed in action at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, Georgia, June 27, 1864. This battery has three emplacements for 10-inch guns . . . — Map (db m21772) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Krayenbuhl
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Named in honor of Captain Maurice Krayenbuhl, who was killed in action near Meycausyan, Philippine Islands in March 1899. Battery Krayenbuhl’s two 5-inch rapid fire guns on the right flank of the heavy caliber battery, in conjunction with the rapid . . . — Map (db m22015) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Battery Krayenbuhl’s 5-inch rapid fire guns
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
The 5-inch gun platforms, finished in the summer of 1899, had to be changed to conform to changes in the type of gun mount to be installed. The platforms had to be cut down approximately one foot, and the new platform was ready by December 2, 1899. . . . — Map (db m21794) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Church Landing Road
On Church Landing Road.
In 1638, the New Sweden Company financed a group of Swedes and Finns to travel to the New World to establish a colony for trade with the Native Americans and to learn about the land. These early settlers traveled up the Delaware River, entered the . . . — Map (db m88581) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Confederate Monument
On Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling north.
Erected by the United States to mark the burial place of 2436 Confederate soldiers who died at Fort Delaware while prisoners of war and whose graves cannot now be individually identified. — Map (db m21655) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finn’s Point National Cemetery
On Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling north.
Though located far from any site of armed conflict, Finn’s Point National Cemetery exists as a direct result of the American Civil War. It is the resting place for the remains of 2,436 Confederate soldiers whose military careers ended as prisoners . . . — Map (db m21651) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finn’s Point National Cemetery
On Cemetery Road, on the right when traveling north.
This cemetery contains the graves of 2,436 Confederate soldiers who died while pisoners of war at Fort Delaware. — Map (db m21657) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finns Point1638-1938 — •
On N. Broadway (New Jersey Route 49) at Church Landing Road, on the right when traveling south on N. Broadway.
Near Here 300 years ago and later lived the first colony of settlers of Finnish blood upon this continent To their memory and to the love of freedom and justice that they handed down to their descendants this tablet is erected June . . . — Map (db m68758) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finns Point Rear Range Light
On Fort Mott Road at Harrisonville Lighthouse Road on Fort Mott Road.
The Finns Point Range lights served as a point of entry and exit for maritime traffic between the Delaware Bay and River. In 1950, after the Army Corps of Engineers dredged the channel to 800 feet wide and 40 feet deep, the Finns Point Rangelights . . . — Map (db m65260) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Finns Point Rear Range Lighthouse
On Old Fort Mott Road at Harrisonville Lighthouse Road on Old Fort Mott Road.
Property of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Guided ships through the upper Delaware Bay from April 2, 1877 to March 22, 1950. Through the efforts of private citizens coordinated by the "Save the Lighthouse Committee," the 115-foot iron tower was . . . — Map (db m65259) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Generator Room
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
The forts electrical plant was placed in a room sixteen feet by thirty feet in the west end of the main battery. The original plans for generating electrical power at the battery used a coal fired steam system. Two 25 kilowatt General Electric . . . — Map (db m22035) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Observation TowersFort Mott State Park
On Fort Mott Road.
Fifty-two feet above the ground, soldiers in this observational tower were able to identify an enemy vessel, calculate its speed and distance, note weather conditions and communicate this information to the main plotting room and the ten-inch guns . . . — Map (db m88583) WM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Pea Patch Island
On Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Fort Mott was one of three forts built at this location on the Delaware River. At this section of the Delaware estuary, the waterway narrows from a broad bay into a river. Considered a strategic location early in the nineteenth century, . . . — Map (db m21710) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Pea Patch Island Heronry
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Pea Patch Island Heronry is the largest Atlantic Coast nesting ground north of Florida for wading birds. Originally a dredge disposal site, this vegetated high ground has been a nesting habitat for nine species of wading birds since the 1970s. It is . . . — Map (db m44021) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Peace Magazine:   1904
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
A Special emphasis was placed on keeping the interiors of the defensive magazines under the various batteries dry. According to an excerpt from, “Reports on 5-inch Guns, Fort Dupont and Fort Mott, December, 1900, Operations” which . . . — Map (db m21792) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge
On Old Fort Mott Road.
Supawna Meadows National Wildlife Refuge is located within the Atlantic Flyway-one of four major migration corridors which pass through the continental United States. The refuge provides crucial and diverse habitat for wildlife seeking nourishment . . . — Map (db m88561)
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Switchboard Room / Plotting Room
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Switchboard Room A central Switchboard room is where all the important communications emanated. By means of this switchboard, all base lines were made interchangeable. A distribution switchboard was installed in a switchboard room as a . . . — Map (db m22036) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — The LatrinesFort Mott State Park
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Two latrines were built within the parados for soldiers assigned to the gun batterys. The bathrooms each had several toilets for enlisted men, a private stall for officers and a large cast-iron urinal. Toilets were similar to our modern . . . — Map (db m22021) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — The Moat and the ParadosFort Mott State Park
On Fort Mott Road.
The parados (Spanish for rear door) is the earthen hill adjacent to the gun battery. It serve as a shield against gunfire from the rear. Construction of the moat and parados at Fort Mott began in 1897 and took over two years to complete.

The . . . — Map (db m88582) WM

New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — The Wharf
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
The construction of a fortification the size of Fort Mott required the delivery of a large amount of materials and equipment. The river provided an excellent “highway” and the government constructed a wharf to receive the construction . . . — Map (db m22022) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Two Batteries in one
Near Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Battery Harker and Battery Arnold share the continuous 750 foot long parapet wall. Battery Harker (right) contains three 10-inch gun emplacements and Battery Arnold (left) has three 12-inch gun emplacements. A protective earthwork, the parados, was . . . — Map (db m21749) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Union Monument
On Cemetery Road, on the left when traveling north.
Near this stone lie the remains of 105 United States soldiers whose names so far as known are hereon inscribed, but whose graves cannot be identified. They died for their country. — Map (db m21656) HM
New Jersey (Salem County), Pennsville — Welcome (to Fort Mott)
On Fort Mott Road, on the right when traveling south.
Fort Mott is an Endicott-era fortification (ca. 1896) that was begun prior to the Spanish-American War. Construction of an earlier fortification, known as the Battery at Finns Point, was begun in 1872 but never completed. Components of the earlier . . . — Map (db m21660) HM

30 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.