On March 9, 1781, Spanish General Bernardo de Galvez, with a fleet of some 30 ships, arrived opposite Pensacola Bay and within a day took Santa Rosa Island. On March 18, Galvez, in his ship Galveztown, sailed under the cannon of the Royal Navy . . . — — Map (db m72252) HM
In 1908, shortly after the extension of the trolley line west from Pensacola, Lucius Screven Brown (1874-1963) developed housing on seven blocks bounded by what is now Pace Boulevard, Strong Street, “W” Street and Gadsden Street. Brown’s . . . — — Map (db m110450) HM
Col. William H. Chase, Construction Engineer, Pensacola Harbor defenses (Forts McRee, Barrancas, Redoubt, Pickens 1828-54). Captured Navy Yard for Florida Forces, January 12, 1861. Ordered to West Point 1856, resigned Commission to become President . . . — — Map (db m72254) HM
From 1763-1783 the Bishop of London licensed priests to administer here.
The Parish was organized in 1827.
Chartered by Florida's Territorial Council in 1829.
The Rev. Addison Searle was the first rector.
During the . . . — — Map (db m72274) HM
Christ Church, founded in 1827, was incorporated by the Legislative Council of the Territory of Florida in 1829. The first church, constructed in 1832, still stands on Seville Square. Later, Chicago architect John Sutcliffe and Pensacola contractor . . . — — Map (db m72243) HM
The Church of the Sacred Heart was constructed in 1905. The Right Reverend Edward Allen, Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Mobile, which at the time encompassed Pensacola, appointed the pastor of Pensacola’s St. Michael’s Church, Father Robert . . . — — Map (db m110476) HM
From 1754 until 1821, a succession of Spanish and British forts were constructed in this area of Pensacola. You are standing at the west end of the forts. They extended nearly 200 yards eastward. The Spanish, then the British, and again the Spanish . . . — — Map (db m80168) HM
Daniel F. Sullivan and his brother Martin, born in Ireland, arrived in Pensacola after the Civil War. Possessing a remarkable talent for business, the brothers purchased lumber mills and wharfs on Pensacola Bay and vast areas of timberland in . . . — — Map (db m80038) HM
You are standing along the historic route of the conquistador Hernando de Soto and his expedition through the Florida Native American territories in his quest for gold and glory.
A Port With Promise
It's December 28, 1539...
Sailing . . . — — Map (db m91133) HM
Born in Italy in 1777, Desiderio Quina served the Spanish army in the Louisiana Infantry Regiment. He was later employed in Pensacola as an apothecary for the John Forbes Company where he married Margarita Bobe. His son Desiderio was born in 1817 . . . — — Map (db m80044) HM
A native of Spain, Don Manuel Gonzalez joined the army at Madrid and was sent to New Orleans. After his discharge he was granted passage through the Choctaw and Creek Nations to Pensacola. At Pensacola, he was a successful cattle rancher. He opened . . . — — Map (db m80051) HM
Born Dorothy Camber, to a British plantation owner at South Carolina, Dorothy married lawyer George Walton at Savannah shortly before the beginning of the American Revolution. George Walton attended the Continental Congress in Philadelphia signing . . . — — Map (db m80043) HM
A native of Maine, Ebenezer Dorr spent fourteen months as a prisoner of war in England during the War of 1812. He was captain of his own ship for many years, trading at ports around the world. In about 1827,
Dorr moved his family to Escambia County . . . — — Map (db m80050) HM
Emanuel Point Shipwrecks
In August 1559, eleven ships under command of Don Tristan de Luna y Arellano sailed into Pensacola Bay, then called Ochuse, to establish a new colony for Spain. Intended to stake a claim on the . . . — — Map (db m102003) HM
A native of Spain, Eugenio Antonio Sierra arrived in Pensacola in the employ of the Spanish royal hospitals in 1785. He was appointed to the post of head practitioner at the Pensacola hospital between 1794 and 1799. In 1811, Dr. Sierra, professor of . . . — — Map (db m80049) HM
At this site on September 30, 1962, Firefighter Vista Spencer Lowe, age 23, died in the line of duty while responding to a house fire at 409 East Zarragossa Street. Upon arrival at the scene, Firefighter Lowe stepped from the rear tailboard of the . . . — — Map (db m72249) HM
Jewish families in Pensacola began organized worship following the Civil War. On this site in 1876 a Reform Jewish Synagogue was constructed. The State of Florida granted a charter in 1878 for Congregation Beth El. Temple Beth El joined the Union of . . . — — Map (db m72240) HM
Established as a mission by the Mississippi Methodist Conference December 7, 1821. Rev. Alexander Talley, first pastor. The first, second, and third church buildings located NE corner of Tarragona and Intendencia Streets. Fourth church building . . . — — Map (db m72255) HM
Site of Fort George - headquarters of British West Florida - Suwannee to the Mississippi. From 1763 until captured by Spanish Gen. Bernardo de Galvez in 1781 and renamed San Miguel. Seized by Andrew Jackson in 1814 and 1818 and delivered to him as . . . — — Map (db m72271) HM
Site of Fort San Bernardo. Built by Don Bernardo de Galvez, Governor of Spanish Louisiana. From this Fort the Spanish bombarded the English-held Fort George; April 27, 1781 and Fort George surrendered May 9, 1781. 15,000 soldiers occupied Fort San . . . — — Map (db m72272) HM
“Duelling Oaks” according to tradition. Later picnic grounds and site of chowder parties of the “Mullets” and the “Snappers”, in heated political rallies. Purchased by Pensacola Woman's Club, 1932 as . . . — — Map (db m72250) HM
So~named because under British, each purchaser of lots in the Old City (South of here) was given a plot with the corresponding number (North of here) on Conway Street for garden purposes. Lots were 80' x 278'. Section included present Garden Street . . . — — Map (db m72269) HM
T.T. Wentworth, Jr. Florida State Museum
Built in 1907 during a downtown building boom, this building was originally City Hall. It is the earliest example of Mediterranean Revival architecture in Pensacola. In 1985, a new City Hall built on . . . — — Map (db m91127) HM
received West Florida from Spain
and raised the flag of the U.S.
July 17, 1821
To recall the flags of five
nations which have been raised in
turn ten times over Pensacola
France . . . — — Map (db m80072) HM
The Hawkshaw site has supported prehistoric and historic occupations which span a period of nearly 2,000 years. It was inhabited around A.D. 150 by groups of Native Americans whom archaeologists call the Deptford Culture. Scientific . . . — — Map (db m72238) HM
Historic John the Baptist Church is the oldest Baptist congregation in Pensacola. In 1846, the First Baptist Colored Church of Pensacola, known as Historic John the Baptist Church since 1927, was organized in the Seville Square community. The . . . — — Map (db m72246) HM
The Chimney is the only trace of what once was the first major industrial belt on the Gulf Coast, a string of antebellum wood mills and brick factories. The chimney represents the lumber industry of the Florida Panhandle. As the lumber industry . . . — — Map (db m72244) HM
A native of Aberdeen, Scotland, John Innerarity was the nephew of Spanish Pensacola's leading merchant William Panton. He arrived in Pensacola in 1802 to become managing clerk of the Panton, Leslie and Co. trading post. However, his uncle had died . . . — — Map (db m80078) HM
Texas fugitive, John Wesley Hardin (1853-1895) was captured here on August 23, 1877. Hardin was wanted and dangerous, and his capture became national news that brought notoriety to Pensacola. Hardin had reportedly killed 27 men. He . . . — — Map (db m91105) HM
Born a nobleman in Spain about 1757, Noriega served his country with distinction in the Louisiana Infantry Regiment against the British at Baton Rouge, Mobile, and Pensacola between 1779 and 1781. His son Jose Noriega, born at Pensacola in 1788, . . . — — Map (db m80047) HM
Established by German immigrant Conrad Kupfrian (1833-1892), the 100-acre Kupfrian’s Park opened in the early 1880s and provided a distinctive entertainment and recreational venue for Pensacola residents for over thirty years. Kupfrian constructed . . . — — Map (db m72245) HM
In the year of Pensacola's 450th anniversary celebration of the Luna expedition, Their Majesties King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofia of Spain visited the city to commemorate our community's long Spanish heritage. In August 1559, an expedition . . . — — Map (db m52515) HM
Mooring anchors like this one were lowered into Pensacola Bay during the 1800s. A pair of buoyed mooring anchors connected by a long, heavy chain gave sailing ships a place to moor (tie up) while waiting to enter Pensacola's harbor to load or unload . . . — — Map (db m91136) HM
Constructed in 1906 by Mabel Lewis, this frame vernacular structure was the home of generations of the Morrison family, including the parents of James Douglas (Jim) Morrison, the lead singer for The Doors. Before Robert Bruce (R.B.) and Frances . . . — — Map (db m110467) HM
The North Hill Preservation District occupies a 50-block area bound by Blount, Wright, Palafox, DeVilliers and Reus Streets, and represents one of the best preserved residential historic districts in Florida. After the Civil War, wealthy families . . . — — Map (db m72242) HM
On this site, Pensacola Junior College (PJC) opened its doors on September 13, 1948. It was the first public junior college created by the Florida Legislature under the Minimum Foundation Program Act of 1947, signed into law by Governor Millard F. . . . — — Map (db m72248) HM
South Facing Side (Main Side)
A.D.1861. - A.D.1865.
The Uncrowned Heroes
Whose joy was to suffer
and die for a cause they
believed to be just.
Their unchallenged devo-
tion and matchless . . . — — Map (db m72273) WM
At age nine, in 1859, Philip Keys Yonge moved to Pensacola with his family from Marianna, Florida. The Yonge family came to Florida from England during the British Colonial Period. He began a career in the lumber business in 1876 at the Muscogee . . . — — Map (db m80040) HM
Designer 2nd German Air Force Training Squadron USA
Artist Mrs. Lydia Davis
Sponsor 2nd German Air Force Training Squadron USA
“The Staff Crew of 2010”
LtCol Frank Orkisz · Major Oliver Ruhe · Cpt Dirk Zickora · . . . — — Map (db m102471) HM
Construction began 1856, was lit 1859 and is still in use at the present time.
This lighthouse replaced the original lighthouse built 1824, the first lighthouse on the Gulf Coast. — — Map (db m50405) HM
This building, once occupied by a Woolworth’s five and dime store, played a role in the struggle for civil rights in Florida. In the 1950s and 1960s, African Americans in segregated communities began sit-ins to protest against “whites . . . — — Map (db m110472) HM
Pensacola’s First Lighthouse
First on Florida’s Gulf Coast
Lighted: December 20, 1824-December 31, 1858
Architect: Winslow Lewis
Tower: Conical 30-foot Brick
Light: 10 Whale Oil Lamps in 7-foot Lantern
Keepers: Jeremiah . . . — — Map (db m102635) HM
During the mid-1800s, 16 wharves reached into Pensacola Bay, along a three-mile stretch of waterfront from Bayou Texar to Bayou Chico. A few years later, around 1900, railroad companies invested in Pensacola's port facilities, improving wharves and . . . — — Map (db m91137) HM
June 1, 1898, Col. Theodore Roosevelt and 170 of his Rough Riders (Indian, cowboys, policemen, clubmen, millionaires, etc.) welcomed here en route to Spanish-American War. There were 6 trains with men, horses and equipment of 1st U.S. Volunteer . . . — — Map (db m72270) HM
Salvador Pons was the second son of John Pons, a seaman from Maryland, and Maria Rosario, a free woman of color. As a property owner who could read and write, Salvador was able to serve the Pensacola community as City Alderman beginning in 1869 and . . . — — Map (db m80048) HM
Here appeared Sarah Bernhardt, John Drew, Grace George, Billie Burke, Lillian Russell, Maude Adams, Anna Pavlova, Richard Mansfield, Mrs. Fiske, Mme. Modjeska, Amelia Bingham, Sousa's Band, etc.
Brick and iron balcony rail in present Saenger . . . — — Map (db m72256) HM
Site of the First Methodist Church of Pensacola
Pensacola's first Methodist congregation was established in 1821 by Alexander Talley, M.D. It met in a series of small, wood frame churches until 1881, when construction of a . . . — — Map (db m72235) HM
The Sisters of Mercy began the Catholic Church's work for blacks in Pensacola when they opened St. Joseph Colored and Creole School on September 8, 1879. St. Joseph Catholic Church, built in 1891, was the 1st African-American parish in the Diocese . . . — — Map (db m72247) HM
Established in 1781 East of Ferdinand VII Plaza and North of Church Street, named because of location of St. Michael's. Destroyed by fire during Civil War period, temporary quarters were used until present Church erected in 1885.
St. Michael’s, . . . — — Map (db m72253) HM
Born on the island of Trinidad in 1812, Stephen Mallory's family eventually made Key West their home. Mallory studied law, volunteered in the Florida militia during the second Seminole War, and became Inspector of Customs at Key West. In 1830 . . . — — Map (db m80042) HM
This excavated area includes a part of the space where the Commanding Officer's Compound was located. It included a building, outbuildings, a formal garden area, and an outdoor kitchen. In addition, it was the center of Fort business, especially . . . — — Map (db m80170) HM
This flag pole is located in the same general location as the pole that was used to raise the American flag over Florida officially for the first time. After signing the agreements in a building located near the dig site, soldiers of both the . . . — — Map (db m80165) HM
The Early Life of T. T. Wentworth, Jr.
Theodore Thomas Wentworth Jr. was born July 26, 1898, in Mobile, Alabama, to Elizabeth Goodloe and T. T. Wentworth, Sr. In 1900, the Wentworth family moved to Pensacola.
Young Tom helped . . . — — Map (db m91123) HM
This building was erected in 1896 and rented to numerous businesses until the 1950s. One of the most significant tenants in the early 1900s was Samuel Charles, one of Pensacola's most prominent black businessmen, whose shoe repair shop became . . . — — Map (db m72239) HM
This berth was once the home of the 255 foot Owasco class patrol gunboat, Sebago (WPG 42), which was commissioned in September 1945 as the United States’ most heavily armed war vessel per foot. The ship carried an initial . . . — — Map (db m110471) HM
Obelisk west side
Born at Columbus, GA., June 6th, 1840,
Died in Washington, D.C. December 1st, 1897.
He fought for the Confederacy as Sergeant-
Major, Adjutant and Captain, at Shiloh, Corinth,
Chickamauga and other . . . — — Map (db m80076) HM
Langdon was first built as two open firing platforms.
During World War II, Langdon’s 12-inch rifles were roofed with a17-foot thick concrete casemates. But amphibious and missile warfare made harbor defense guns obsolete. — — Map (db m61950) WM