Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pigeon Forge, Tennessee Historical Markers

 
Broady Dairy Marker image, Touch for more information
By Marcia Nelson, March 31, 2014
Broady Dairy Marker
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Broady Dairy
Dr. Robert A. Broady, a practicing Sevier County physician from 1937 to 1983, began a dairy at this site around the 1940s with one half-breed Jersey cow. A family whose child was suffering from diphtheria needed money for treatment in Knoxville . . . — Map (db m72720) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Dolly's Childhood Home
This cabin is a replica of the Parton home place where Lee and Avie Lee Parton raised Dolly and her 10 brothers and sisters. The replica cabin was constructed by Dolly's brother Bobby, and the interior was reproduced by her mother Avie Lee. Most . . . — Map (db m14634) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Early Pigeon ForgeThe Growth of a Small Town
At the beginning of the twentieth century, Pigeon Forge was a busy farming community. Merchants, millers, blacksmiths, and other businesses clustered around the Pigeon Forge Mills to support local agriculture. J.A. Householder and Son advertised in . . . — Map (db m95993) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — First Baptist Church Pigeon Forge
Memories of First Baptist Church Pigeon Forge bring to mind a congregation whose fellowship was warm and rich, like an old homecoming and so much at ease, recalled one former pastor, Dr. William W. Cope. Baptists began meeting on River Road at a . . . — Map (db m95995) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge and Pigeon Forge Academy
First United Methodist Church of Pigeon Forge was initially part of the Pigeon Forge circuit in the Knoxville District of Holston Conference. Circuit riding preachers served this church, Huskey’s Grove, Pleasant Hill, Walden’s Creek and Wear’s . . . — Map (db m134046) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Fort Wear
Col. Samuel Wear built Fort Wear in this vicinity about 1781, the year that Cornwallis surrendered at Yorktown. Fort Wear was one of nearly a dozen forts built in the 1780s in Sevier County. Its blockhouse was made from sturdy hand-hewn logs and was . . . — Map (db m65923) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Henderson Springs Resort
Henderson’s Spring, as listed in early post office records, was a place name in the Pigeon Forge area as early as 1858, just before the Civil War. Elijah Henderson, son of William H. and Mary Catherine Cannon Henderson, and his family developed a . . . — Map (db m74835) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Middle Creek United Methodist Church & Settlement
The Church By 1787, Methodist Circuit Riding Preachers were traveling throughout this vast wilderness region with a Bible and a saddlebag, ministering in frontier settlements. At Middle Creek, open-air revivals known as camp meetings were . . . — Map (db m134045) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Native American Sea EagleDollywood Park
Did you know…*Our National bird is of the order falconiformes and first appeared 25 million years ago. It is the only native American eagle & the only eagle species living strictly in North America.

*This regal-looking bird is a superb . . . — Map (db m99829) HM

Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C-17 — Pigeon Forge
About 3/4 mile southeast, Isaac Love operated a forge on the site of the flour mill on Pigeon River in 1820, making bar iron. Ore came from an orebank about 3 miles east, later, pig-iron came from Sweden Furnace, 5 miles east. Forge hammer . . . — Map (db m82600) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pigeon Forge Attractions
When Pigeon Forge began transforming itself from a quiet farming community into one focused on tourism, the town adopted the slogan “Action-Packed.” It’s an appropriate description evidenced by the diversity and sheer number of . . . — Map (db m134050) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pigeon Forge Elementary School/Pigeon Forge Canning Factory
The Sevier County School Board purchased a piece of land on the old James L. Gobble farm for a brand new Pigeon Forge schoolhouse on September 1, 1917 and paid five hundred dollars. It was located on a knoll northeast of this marker between Middle . . . — Map (db m74838) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pigeon Forge Iron WorksHow Pigeon Forge Got Its Name
Before white settlers arrived, Native Americans called this river “Pigeon” or “woyi.” Countless numbers of wild passenger pigeons gathered at this natural habitat of abundant beech and oak trees. Their sheer numbers . . . — Map (db m66133) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pigeon River Railroad
Pictured is locomotive # 20. It ran along Smoky Mountain Railroad tracks and possibly traveled into Pigeon Forge on the Pigeon River Railroad line just before the line was abandoned about 1929. The Pigeon River Railroad was incorporated in August . . . — Map (db m65919) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Pine Grove Rural Community
Pine Grove was once a rural community of sprawling farmlands before it was enveloped by the rapidly expanding vacation city of Pigeon Forge in the early 1980s. The frontier settlement first became known as Fort Wear in the 1780s when Revolutionary . . . — Map (db m123730) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Sevier County Veterans Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the memory of the veterans of Sevier County who gave their lives to defend our country World War I United States Army Allen, Lavator L. ∙ Atchley, Amos ∙ Blazer, Victor ∙ Cate, Ashley J. . . . — Map (db m82939) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 4 — Shiloh Church
in 1802 Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the home of Mitchel Porter, Revolutionary Veteran, who lived 2 miles north of Sevier County and preached in the newly built log chapel, 400 yards west of here. Shiloh Cemetery grew up around . . . — Map (db m17197) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 4 — Shiloh Church
in 1802 Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the home of Mitchel Porter, Revolutionary Veteran, who lived 2 miles north of Sevier County and preached in the newly built log chapel, 400 yards west of here. Shiloh Cemetery grew up around . . . — Map (db m17199) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Titanic Eternal Flame1912 - 2012
In memory of those who lost their lives — Map (db m58479) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Titanic’s Center Anchor
The center anchor weighed 16.8 US tons, almost twice the weight of the standard port and starboard anchors which weighed 8.84 US tons each. The replica of this anchor will give you an idea how massive the center anchor was on the Titanic. — Map (db m58478) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — Unionists Within the ConfederacySevier County Home Guard
When the Civil War began, Sevier County Unionists at first operated quietly in secessionist Tennessee. In 1861, they set up a secret garment factory in the second floor of this mill and made cloth for uniforms. They also made shoes for Federal . . . — Map (db m65704) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 16 — Wear's Fort
Col. Samuel Wear settled near the Mouth of Waldens Creek in 1783. He fought at Kings Mountain and later in Indian Wars, was first county court clerk of Sevier County. State of Franklin, and held the same office later under the territorial government . . . — Map (db m17201) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement