Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

435 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 235
 
"The Bell Speaks" Marker image, Touch for more information
By Mike Wintermantel, July 3, 2013
"The Bell Speaks" Marker
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — "The Bell Speaks"
In 1751, the legislators of the Province of Pennsylvania ordered from an English foundry "A Good Bell" for the new bell tower of the state house (now know as Independence Hall) in Philadelphia. It was to be the jubilee symbol of the Pennsylvania . . . — Map (db m66452) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — 1st Drive-In Filling Station
At this site in Dec. 1913, Gulf Refining Co. opened the first drive-in facility designed and built to provide gasoline, oils, and lubricants to the motoring public. Its success led to construction of thousands of gas stations by different oil . . . — Map (db m40872) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — 31st Street Bridge
Moving river cargo along the Allegheny was difficult when low bridges prevented large boats from passing through. The 30th Street Bridge was the last obstruction on the Allegheny that interfered with river commerce. When replaced in 1928, the new . . . — Map (db m99528) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — 841 Lincoln Avenue — Historic Landmark —
841 Lincoln Avenue (c.1865) Restored by Junior League of Pittsburgh An Historic Property of Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation — Map (db m65162) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Aqueduct
The Pennsylvania Canal across Pennsylvania was an engineering triumph with a spectacular 37-mile railroad portage over the Allegheny Mountains. For half a century between 1820 and the Civil War, packet boats pulled by mules navigated through the . . . — Map (db m83762) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Arsenal
Designed by Benjamin H. Latrobe and constructed in 1814. The Arsenal was used as a military garrison, in the manufacture and storing of supplies during the Civil War, Indian Wars, and Spanish American War. — Map (db m40874) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Cemetery — Historic Landmark —
Allegheny Cemetery Incorporated 1844 — Map (db m66198) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny CityThree Rivers Heritage Trail
In the early 1700s, the Allegheny River formed a boundary: lands claimed by European nations were to the east, and lands claimed by Native Americans were to the west. Near this site in 1783, James Robinson, the first permanent European settler . . . — Map (db m78602) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Cotton Mill Strikes
Major strikes by women cotton factory workers protesting 12-hour work-days occurred nearby in Allegheny City in 1845 and 1848. The strikes led to an 1848 state law limiting workdays to 10 hours and prohibiting children under twelve years of age from . . . — Map (db m40301) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny County
Formed September 24, 1788 out of Westmoreland and Washington counties. Named for the Allegheny River. County seat of Pittsburgh was laid out in 1764 and became a city in 1816. A center of the iron, steel and other industries and “Workshop of . . . — Map (db m40937) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny County Soldier's Monument(Civil War)
Erected to the memory of the 4,000 brave men of Allegheny County. Who fell in the great struggle to maintain the integrity of our union. The eye of God rests upon their graves even when unmarked by man. And their sleeping dust shall arise in the . . . — Map (db m58142) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny High School — Historic Landmark —
Allegheny High School 1904 Frederick John Osterling, Architect — Map (db m58602) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Observatory
Part of the University of Pittsburgh. Chartered 1860; located here since 1912. At the original site nearby, Professor Samuel P. Langley conducted experiments that would lead to the first sustained, mechanically powered flight in 1896. — Map (db m42219) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Post Office — Historic Landmark —
Children's Museum of Pittsburgh Originally Allegheny Post Office William M. Aiken, Architect 1894-97 — Map (db m58600) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Allegheny Soldiers' Lot
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War (1861-1865). As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. This propelled the . . . — Map (db m99059) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Andrew Carnegie(1835-1919)
A poor Scottish immigrant, Carnegie became a millionaire steel magnate and proponent of the "Gospel of Wealth." Seeking to benefit society with his fortune, he built over 2,500 libraries and endowed institutions advancing education and peace. — Map (db m40875) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Anthony Sadowski
Prominent Indian trader and interpreter, employed by the provincial governor of Pennsylvania as an Indian agent in the Western Country. As a trader travelled "To Allegheny" as far as Logstown, (Ambridge, PA). With two other Indian traders . . . — Map (db m66451) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Aria Cultural District Lofts-Historic Landmark-
Aria Cultural District Lofts Originally, Gerber Carriage Company Rutan & Russell, Architects, 1904-05 — Map (db m128179) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Arrott Building — Historic Landmark —
Arrott Building 1902 Frederick John Osterling, architect — Map (db m67181) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Art Blakey(1919-1990)
A founder of the “hard-bop” school of jazz, drummer Blakey grew up here, and got his start with Billy Eckstine's band. Blakey’s group, “The Jazz Messengers,” featured Hank Mobley, Freddie Hubbard, Horace Silver, and Wynton . . . — Map (db m48883) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — August Wilson(1945-2005)
Co-founder of Pittsburgh’s Black Horizon Theater and the author of a cycle of ten plays that have been hailed as a unique triumph in American literature. The plays cover each decade of the 20th century and most focus on African American life in the . . . — Map (db m48884) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Avery College
To the south, at Nash and Avery Streets, stood Avery College. Founded in 1849 by Charles Avery (1784-1858), Methodist lay preacher, philanthropist, abolitionist, to provide a classical education for Negroes. — Map (db m41046) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Barney Dreyfuss(1865-1932)
Owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates, 1900-1932, and legendary baseball leader influential in initiating the first modern World Series, 1903. He led Pirates to 6 National League and 2 World Series titles and was vital to building Forbes Field here, 1909. — Map (db m40876) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Benedum-Trees Building — Historic Landmark —
Benedum-Trees Building Thomas H. Scott, Arch., 1905 — Map (db m67184) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Bessemer Converter
This 10-ton Bessemer Converter was originally installed at the A. M. Byers Company, Ambridge, Pennsylvania. It was built by the Pennsylvania Engineering Corporation at its New Castle, Pennsylvania, plant in 1930, and was one of the last commercially . . . — Map (db m61313) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Bethel A.M.E. Church
Founded 1808 and known as the African Church. Chartered in 1818. Located nearby in early years, church was site of area's first school for colored children, 1831, and statewide civil rights convention, 1841. Congregation moved to Wylie Avenue, 1872; . . . — Map (db m42023) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Billy Eckstine(1914-1993)
African American jazz balladeer and bandleader whose innovative style and sponsorship of new talent helped revolutionize jazz in the 1940s. One of the nation's most popular vocalists, he had 11 gold records. He grew up in this house. — Map (db m54980) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Birthplace of Gertrude Stein
In this house on February 3, 1874, Gertrude Stein was born to Daniel and Amelia Stein. Author, poet, feminist, playwright, and catalyst in the development of modern art and literature. "In the United States there is no space where nobody is . . . — Map (db m78335) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Birthplace of the Aluminum Industry
This tablet marks the birthplace of the aluminum industry in the United States. On the site of this building the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, now Aluminum Company of America, late in November, 1888, produced the first commercial run of aluminum by . . . — Map (db m79882) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Brown Chapel AME Church — Historic Landmark —
Brown Chapel A.M.E. Church 1903 — Map (db m65226) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science — Historic Landmark —
Children's Museum of Pittsburgh Originally Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science Ingham and Boyd, architects, 1939 — Map (db m58601) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Burke's Landmark — Historic Landmark —
Burke's Landmark John Chislett, architect — Map (db m67183) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Byers-Lyon House — Historic Landmark —
Byers-Lyon House 1898 Alden & Harlow, Architects — Map (db m65207) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Calvary Episcopal Church
January 2, 1921 from Calvary Church for the first time in history a church service was broadcasted by radio wireless by the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. — Map (db m65042) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Calvary United Methodist Church — Historic Landmark —
Calvary United Methodist Church Built 1892-95 Vrydaugh & Shepherd and T.B. Wolfe, Architects — Map (db m65165) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Catahecassa, BlackhoofWar Chief of the Shawnees
Was present at the defeat of Braddock in 1755 and took part in all the subsequent wars until the Treaty of Greenville in 1795, after which he remained the friend and ally of the United States. — Map (db m65044)
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Charles Martin Hall(1863-1914)
Hall's invention of electrolytic manufacture of aluminum was first applied to commercial production in 1888 by the Pittsburgh Reduction Company, which later became Alcoa. This process, developed here, made the commercial use of aluminum possible. — Map (db m73628) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Charles Taze Russell(1852-1916)
Pastor Russell formed a Bible study group in Allegheny City in the 1870's; developed it into the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society. It became the legal corporation for Jehovah's Witnesses. He lived in the Bible House nearby, 1894-1909; spoke here . . . — Map (db m40173) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Clinton Furnace
Pittsburgh’s first successful blast furnace for making pig iron. Operations began near here, 1859, using Connellsville coke as fuel. The furnace’s technology initiated a new era, leading to more advanced furnaces capable of producing huge amounts of . . . — Map (db m15138) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Colonial Place Historic District — Historic Landmark —
Colonial Place Historic District George S. Orth, architect E.H. Bachman, landscape artist 1898 — Map (db m76367) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Congregation B'nai Israel — Historic Landmark —
Congregation B'nai Israel Built 1923 Henry Hornbostel, Architect — Map (db m65133) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Corliss Street Tunnel — Historical Landmark —

Corliss Street Tunnel 1914 Stanley L. Roush, architect; D.N. Sprague, chief engineer — Map (db m101344) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — County of Allegheny Law Enforcement Officers Memorial
Dedicated August 25, 1996 Rededication Saturday May 17, 2003 County of Allegheny Law Enforcement Officers Memorial, Incorporated — Map (db m60475) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — County Office Building — Historic Landmark —
County Office Building Stanley L. Roush, architect 1929-31 — Map (db m65609) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Crawford Grill
A center of Black social life where musicians such as Art Blakey, Mary Lou Williams, John Coltrane drew a racially mixed, international clientele. Here, Crawford Grill number 2, the second of three clubs opened 1943; was owned by William (Gus) . . . — Map (db m40882) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Daisy E. Lampkin
Outstanding as an NAACP organizer, Mrs. Lampkin was its National Field Secretary, 1935-47. President, Lucy Stone Civic League, 1915-65. A charter member, National Council of Negro Women, and Vice President, The Pittsburgh Courier. She lived here . . . — Map (db m52128) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — David L. Lawrence1889-1966
David L. Lawrence, Mayor of Pittsburgh from 1946 to 1959 and Governor of Pennsylvania from 1959 to 1963, was born in the Old Point District, now Point State Park, on June 18, 1889. As Mayor and Governor, he provided the public leadership which . . . — Map (db m43570) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Diplodocus carnegii
Diplodocus carnegii lived 150 million years ago, when dinosaurs dominated the land. Carnegie Museum paleontologists first discovered the remains in Wyoming on July 4, 1899. A new species, the dinosaur was named after Andrew Carnegie, the museums . . . — Map (db m99165) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Dorothy Mae Richardson1922-1991
Community activist who founded Neighborhood Housing Services in 1968 A model of resident-led community development, it inspired a national movement and led to the creation of NeighborWorks America. Richardson was a lifelong resident of Pittsburgh’s . . . — Map (db m141861) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Duquesne Incline— Historic Landmark —
Historic Landmark The Duquesne Incline - 1877Built by Samuel Diescher, Engineer for Kirk Bigham & Associates Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation — Map (db m8859) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Duquesne University
Founded by Holy Ghost Fathers from Germany in 1878. Incorporated 1882 as the Pittsburgh Catholic College. Named Duquesne University in 1911, this Catholic institution has served students of many faiths in liberal arts and professional studies. — Map (db m35486) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — E & O Brewery
Eberhardt & Ober Brewing Co. brewed beers in accordance with the German beer purity law. Current home of Penn Brewery. 16. E & O Brewery 800 Vinial Street -1884- — Map (db m123171) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — 363 — East Liberty Presbyterian ChurchHistoric Landmark — American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site —
East Liberty Presbyterian Church Built 1931-1935 Cram & Ferguson, Architects — Map (db m122315) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Edith Darlington Ammon
“Men…with but the thought of gain and gold were dreaming of tracks and trains, of massive walls and wreathing smoke from towering chimneys, while we dreamed of fame and power, of peaceful paths where once was strife, of space and breeze, of . . . — Map (db m99061) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Eliza Furnace
James Laughlin, one of the founders of Jones & Laughlin, constructed the first Eliza Furnace, a stone blast furnace for smelting iron. Built in 1858 before the Civil War, Eliza marked the city's emerging iron and steel industry and was the first . . . — Map (db m100347) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Emmanuel Episcopal Church — National Historic Landmark —
Has Been Designated A National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. Henry Hobson Richardson, one of America's premier architects, designed this church (1884). . . . — Map (db m65167) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Epiphany Roman Catholic Church — Historic Landmark —
Epiphany Roman Catholic Church 1904 Edward Stotz, Architect John T. Comes, Interior Designer — Map (db m65607) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Family Court Facility — Historic Landmark —
Family Court Facility, Court of Common Pleas Originally Allegheny County Jail Henry Hobson Richardson, architect 1884-86 — Map (db m65613) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Aluminum Observatory Dome
On the hill just west of here, the first known astronomical observatory with an aluminum dome was erected in 1930. Designed & built by Pittsburgh amateur astronomers led by Leo J. Scanlon, the Valley View Observatory stood beside his Van Buren St. . . . — Map (db m35633) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Free Public Library Building in the United States
. . . — Map (db m40172) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Mining of Pittsburgh Coal
This State's bituminous coal industry was born about 1760 on Coal Hill, now Mount Washington. Here the Pittsburgh coal bed was mined to supply Fort Pitt. This was eventually to be judged the most valuable individual mineral deposit in the United . . . — Map (db m48882) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Muslim Mosque of Pittsburgh — Historic Landmark —
First Muslim Mosque of Pittsburgh Originally, Wylie Avenue Branch Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh Alden & Harlow, architects, 1899 — Map (db m78473) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First Professional Football Game
On November 12, 1892, at Recreation Park, a few blocks northwest of here, the Allegheny Athletic Association defeated the Pittsburgh Athletic Club, 4-0. The winning touchdown was scored by William "Pudge" Heffelfinger, who received $500 for playing. . . . — Map (db m39909) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First United Methodist Church — Historic Landmark —
First United Methodist Church Weary and Kramer, H. Wagoner, Architects 1893-95, 1952 — Map (db m65135) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — First World Series
In October 1903, National League champion Pittsburgh played American League champion Boston in major league baseball's first modern World Series. Boston won the best-of-9 series, 5 games to 3; prominent players included Pittsburgh's Honus Wagner and . . . — Map (db m108595) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Field
The first all steel and concrete ballpark in the nation, Forbes Field was home to the Pirates, site of four World Series in 1909, 1925, 1927, and 1960 and two All-Star games. Hosted the Homestead Grays, Steelers, and Pitt Panthers, as well as . . . — Map (db m40877) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Road1758 — Fort Bedford to Fort Duquesne —
Fort Duquesne End of Forbes Road Occupied by General Forbes November 25, 1758 and by him named Pittsburgh. His victory determined the destiny of the Great West and established Anglo-Saxon supremacy in the United States. "His name . . . — Map (db m42022) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forbes Road, 1758
This tablet marks the site of a giant oak which stood on the northerly side of the road built in 1758 by Brigadier-General John Forbes on his military expedition against the French and Indians at Fort Duquesne (now Pittsburgh). On November 25, . . . — Map (db m71947) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Blockhouse — National Historic Landmark —
(Right side of entrance) Forks of the Ohio Fort Pitt Block House has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America

(Left . . . — Map (db m40336) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fort Duquesne
This marks the exact site of Fort Duquesne, built by the French in 1754

The Fort was destroyed by the French on the approach of the English Army in 1758 — Map (db m43572) HM

Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fort Lafayette
Stood on this site. It was completed in 1792. Built to protect Pittsburgh against Indian attacks and to serve as a chief supply base for General Wayne's army from 1792-1794. Reactivated during the War of 1812. Site sold in 1813. — Map (db m40885) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding Convention of the AFL
On November 15, 1881, in nearby Turner Hall, a convention was held to form the organization which became the American Federation of Labor. Soon it was the nation's largest labor federation. It became part of the merged AFL-CIO in 1955. — Map (db m40940) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding Convention of the CIO
Near here on November 14, 1938, the first convention of the Congress of Industrial Organizations was held. 34 international unions were represented. Pittsburgh's Philip Murray was president from 1940-1952. — Map (db m40175) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Founding of the Ironworkers Union
On Feb. 4, 1896, sixteen delegates met at Moorheads Hall here to form the International Association of Bridge, Structural, Ornamental, and Reinforcing Iron Workers. Active in the struggle for health and safety standards; by 1996 it had 140,000 . . . — Map (db m40936) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Fourth Ward Memorial
This memorial is dedicated in sincere tribute to the living and dead whose valiant efforts and unselfish sacrifices have made America great. God grant that the liberty of humanity won only by brave souls and vigilantly guarded, shall live on with . . . — Map (db m100468) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frank E. Bolden(1912-2003)
Distinguished journalist, one of the first two African American accredited correspondents during World War II. He covered the “Buffalo Soldiers” and “Tuskegee Airmen,” reporting from India, Burma, and China. Later, City . . . — Map (db m40886) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frank Vittor(1888-1968)
Pittsburgh sculptor whose subjects included American presidents and public figures such as Abraham Lincoln, Honus Wagner, and Mark Twain. He devoted his life to sculpting and teaching, and founded the city’s Society of Sculptors. An Italian . . . — Map (db m40888) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Frederick J Osterling Office & Studio — National Historic Landmark —
Office and Studio 228 Isabella Street This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of The Interior — Map (db m65001) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Freedom House Ambulance1967-1975 — Pittsburgh's E.M.S. Pioneers —
Never to be forgotten.... This plaque honors the visionaries of the Hill District's Freedom House Ambulance Service - founders, staff, medical advisors, funders, and supporters--for their significant contributions to emergency medical . . . — Map (db m78474) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Grace United Methodist Church — Historic Landmark —
Grace United Methodist Church Built 1872 — Map (db m72417) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Grant's Hill
On this hill the British under Major James Grant were defeated by the French and Indians from Fort Duquesne, September 14, 1758. Erected by the Pittsburgh Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, June 10, 1901. — Map (db m40938) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Great Strike Ignites the Nation!Great Railroad Strike of 1877
The Great Strike of 1877 was not exclusive to Pittsburgh. The first signs of what would become a popular uprising appeared on the B&O Line in Baltimore, on July 16th 1877. Unrest in Baltimore was initially suppressed. The next day, however, trainmen . . . — Map (db m26106) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Greenfield Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the noble deeds of Greenfield men and women who served their country in World Wars I and II and the lasting memory of their names — Map (db m81390) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Greenlee Field
Located here from 1932 to 1938, this was the first African American owned stadium in the Negro Leagues. Home of Gus Greenlee's Pittsburgh Crawfords baseball team, 1935 Negro League champs. Players included Hall of Famers Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, . . . — Map (db m52129) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Gulf Building — Historic Landmark —
Gulf Building 1930-1932 Trowbridge & Livingston, Archs. — Map (db m83953) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Hampton Battery Monument
Map (db m82420) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Hazelwood: A Rivertown Rich in History
Named for the hazelnut trees that once grew on the banks of the Monongahela River, Hazelwood possessed a natural beauty that George Washington noted in his early journals. Originally Native American territory, Hazelwood was purchased through the . . . — Map (db m94065) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Heinz Hall — Historic Landmark —
Heinz Hall (formerly Loew's Penn Theatre) Rapp & Rapp, Architects 1926 Stotz, Hess, MacLachlan & Fosner remodeling 1971 — Map (db m67122) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Henry Clay Frick(1849-1919)
Pittsburgh industrialist and philanthropist, Frick was instrumental in the organization of the coke and steel industries. His controversial management style while chairman of Carnegie Steel led to the bloody Homestead Strike in 1892. — Map (db m40939) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Henry J. Heinz(1844-1919)
From a start in 1869 selling bottled horseradish, Heinz built an international firm by 1886. He pioneered innovative advertising, quality control, and benevolent employee policies and transformed modern diets. — Map (db m40889) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Herr's Island
This island was known as Herr's Island for over 200 years. Named for Benjamin Herr, a Swiss Mennonite, the island became an idyllic village with fruit trees and gardens. Herr operated a water-powered mill in the back channel as packet boats floated . . . — Map (db m99623) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Historic Site in Journalism
John Scull in 1786 was the first editor to have type and press transported through the rough wilderness to establish a newspaper west of the major Allegheny Range. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is the direct descendent of the Gazette which Scull . . . — Map (db m44579) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — History of Observatory Hill
Observatory Hill was originall part of Allegheny City. Since Allegheny City's annexation to the City of Pittsburgh in 1907, the Observatory Hill district has expanded and is home to nearly 14,000 residents. The neighborhood features stately homes, a . . . — Map (db m79697) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — In Memory of John (Jack) BrennanRetired Fire Captain
Brighton Heights wishes to thank Jack Brennan For His Dedication To Community, Family and Friends. He Was Instrumental In Helping Put Brighton Heights On The Map. He Had A Special Way Of Caring For Those Who Needed Help. His Caring Helped Bridge . . . — Map (db m137908)
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Iron and Steel Workers
The shift to mass production in the steel industry brought thousands of new workers to Pittsburgh and forever changed the city. Between 1870 and 1900, Pittsburgh's population quadrupled. Through Ellis Island and from across the nation came the . . . — Map (db m100348) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — James Hay Reed
Born Sept. 10, 1853, in a house standing in this square. Distinguished as a lawyer. Counselor to a majority of the leaders of business who built the corporations which made Pittsburgh leader in American industry. — Map (db m40176) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jane Grey Swisshelm Childhood Home
To The Memory of Jane Grey Swisshelm 1815-1884 Pittsburgh's first newspaper woman secured passage of state law April 11, 1848 enabling married women to hold and sell property A woman of great moral courage and love for humanity, A . . . — Map (db m83952) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jane Holmes(1805-1885)
A distinguished philanthropist and humanitarian, she created and funded numerous social service agencies, including the Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children, here. Her pioneering efforts in charitable giving have served those in need, . . . — Map (db m46526) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John A. Roebling(1806-1869)
Here in 1846, Roebling built the first wire rope suspension bridge to carry a highway over the Monongahela River. He also designed a bridge across the Allegheny River, a railroad bridge at Niagara Falls, and the Brooklyn Bridge. — Map (db m42221) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John M. Phillips(1861-1953)
Creator of the state game land system. Known as the Pennsylvania System, it was a model throughout the nation. Phillips helped establish the Pennsylvania Game Commission. A conservationist, industrialist, and engineer, he was among the first to . . . — Map (db m41297) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John Scull(1765-1828)
Pioneering editor and publisher who issued first edition of Pittsburgh Gazette, 1786. First newspaper west of Alleghenies, it became the Post-Gazette, 1927. A Berks County native, he was active in Western Pennsylvania's civic affairs; home and print . . . — Map (db m42024) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — John T. Comès(1873-1922)
A nationally influential church architect and a prolific writer and lecturer. Comès was recognized for his philosophy regarding design and decoration of Catholic churches. A Pittsburgh resident, his commissions, including Saint Agnes here, are . . . — Map (db m97505) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Johnny Unitas(1933-2002)
Pittsburgh native and Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee, 1979. Here Unitas quarterbacked semi-pro Bloomfield Rams to a Steel Bowl Football Conference championship in 1955. Signed with the Baltimore Colts in 1956, leading them to an NFL championship . . . — Map (db m40892) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Johnson StudioEstablished 1923
Johnson Studio was one of the first African-American owned and operated businesses to locate on Centre Avenue. The Studio was first opened at 1862 Centre Avenue in 1923 under the founder's name, Luther H. Johnson, Photographer. The name was changed . . . — Map (db m78475) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jones and Laughlin
The partnership between Jones & Laughlin combined the skills of an older financial genius with those of a brilliant young entrepreneur. Before the Civil War, Jones established a rolling mill on the South Side, and Laughlin subsequently built an iron . . . — Map (db m100349) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Jones Hall — Historic Landmark —
Jones Hall 1908-1910 Rutan and Russell, Architects — Map (db m65171) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Joshua (Josh) Gibson(1911-1947)
Hailed as Negro leagues' greatest slugger, he hit some 800 home runs in a baseball career that began here at Ammons Field in 1929. Played for Homestead Grays and Pittsburgh Crawfords, 1930-1946. Elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame, '72. — Map (db m40893) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Kaufmann's Department Store and Clock — Historic Landmark —
Kaufmann's Dept. Store and Clock Built 1898 Charles Bickel Architect Addition 1913 Janssen & Abbot Architects — Map (db m66448) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Kier Refinery
Using a five-barrel still, Samuel M. Kier erected on this site about 1854 the first commercial refinery to produce illuminating oil from petroleum. He used crude oil from salt wells at Tarentum. — Map (db m43399) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Korean War Veterans' Monument
About the Memorial American servicemen and women braved violent combat in Korea. The Nation suffered great losses in the War and spiritual anguish in its aftermath. Friends parted, lives were uprooted, futures were transformed; many died or were . . . — Map (db m60271) WM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Langley Observatory Clock
The title of the sculpture, Langley Observatory Clock, refers to the work of Samuel P. Langley. In 1870, Langley, director of the Allegheny Observatory, created the Allegheny System - a standardized system of measuring and disseminating accurate . . . — Map (db m78391) HM
Pennsylvania (Allegheny County), Pittsburgh — Le Magnifique(Mario Lemieux Statue)
Mario Lemieux's career was defined not only by spectacular talent but also by fierce determination and uncommon resilience - qualities that enabled him to break through adversity and overcome immense challenges both on and off the ice. Marion . . . — Map (db m79960) HM

435 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 235
Paid Advertisement
May. 26, 2020