Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Plattsburgh, New York Historical Markers

 
24 Pounder Cannon image, Touch for more information
By Bill Pfingsten, August 12, 2014
24 Pounder Cannon
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — 24 Pounder Cannon
These replica cannon are similar to those used on American Commandant Thomas Macdonough's flagship Saratoga on September 11, 1814. The 24 pound round iron shot from the long-range, smooth bore, muzzle-loaded "24" was effective up to one-half mile. — Map (db m76383) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Addoms - Hagar Burial Ground
The burial site of John Addoms, Luther Hagar and their families, 1807-1853 — Map (db m136767) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Afghanistan and Iraq/ Plattsburgh Barracks Monument
We honor all those who served in Afghanistan and Iraq — Map (db m47535) WM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — B-47 Strato-Jet Bomber MemorialPlattsburgh Air Force Base
This B-47 Strato-Jet Bomber stands as a lasting memorial to the valiant men who flew and supported B-47’S from March 21, 1956 to December 14, 1965, while they were assigned to Plattsburgh Air Force Base.

This monument has been presented by the . . . — Map (db m92743) WM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Battle of Plattsburgh Bay
Throughout the War of 1812, British forces targeted Lake Champlain as an invasion route. United States Navy Lieutenant Thomas Macdonough was able to confine them in the Richelieu River of Quebec throughout the summer of 1813. American shipbuilders . . . — Map (db m48447) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — British Hospital
The British army used the basement of this house for a hospital during Battle of Plattsburg September, 1814 — Map (db m106552) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — 55 — Champy
Legendary lake monster lives here. Over 300 sightings reported since 1819. Up to 200 feet long. NYS Law protects this regional icon. — Map (db m136671) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — City Hall - 1917

City Hall was built by John Russell Pope, who later used its classical lines to design the Jefferson Memorial in Washington.

L hotel de ville fut construite par John Russell Pope. Il reprit ce style de lignes classiques pour la . . . — Map (db m115220) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Col. Thomas Miller's Home
Site of Col. Thos. Miller's Home Cdr. 8th Reg. N.Y. Militia Battle of Plattsburgh. British troops occupied house Sept. 6-11, 1814. Orig. house burned 1844. — Map (db m106326) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — FB-111A Strategic Bomber(1971-1991) — Plattsburgh Air Force Base —
The role of the FB-111A, Strategic Air Command’s premier penetrating bomber, spanned the last 20 years of the Cold War. This aircraft and the people in the 380th Bombardment Wing who flew, maintained and supported it, contributed to America’s most . . . — Map (db m92744) WM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — First Building
Erected in this settlement stood here in 1767. It was the home of Count Charles de Fredenburgh. — Map (db m48731) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Fort Brown
The embankment on this spot is all that remains of Fort Brown which constituted the left flank of the American line of defense at the Battle of Plattsburgh September 6-11, 1814 It was manned by detachments of the 30th & 31st Regiments of Infantry . . . — Map (db m46964) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Fort Izard
Fort Izard was constructed by the United States during the War of 1812 to defend Plattsburgh against a British land and sea attack from the north, and to engage the enemy forces as they journeyed southward toward Saratoga. It was occupied for a few . . . — Map (db m137106) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Headquarters
Headquarters British Officers During Battle of Plattsburg, September, 1814 — Map (db m46139) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Headquarters Plattsburgh Barracks
Known as the Administration Building, this edifice stands at the apex of the parade ground and surrounding structures of Plattsburgh Barracks, an active U.S. Army post until 1944. It overlooks the site of the earthen fortification Fort Moreau which, . . . — Map (db m47531) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Heart of a Thriving Community
The Saranac River runs through the heart of the City of Plattsburgh. The river supported native peoples long before the arrival of Europeans, and it has been crucial in the commercial and industrial development of the region since the first . . . — Map (db m141172) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Heritage TrailFirst Blockhouse and Government Center
In 1789, four years after settling in Plattsburgh, residents built a block house for protection against the British - only miles away on Point au Fer on Lake Champlain. Though no British or Indian raids initially materialized, the . . . — Map (db m46595) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Isaac Platt Home
Maj. Gen. Robinson Hdas. Battle of Plattsburgh 1814 British soldiers wounded at Halsey's Corners brought here — Map (db m106325) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — John Addoms
Home of John Addoms. Built 1790. Major and surveyor during entire period of Revolution — Map (db m136751) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Loyal L. Smith

In memory of Loyal L. Smith who died February 11, 1908 Donor of this building to the City of Plattsburgh — Map (db m115222) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — MacDonough Monument
MacDonough Monument Erected to commemorate the victory of Commodore MacDonough The Battle of Plattsburgh — Map (db m47946) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Macdonough Monument - 1926
Macdonough Monument - 1926 Designed by John Russell Pope this 135 foot tall memorial commemorates the American naval victory at the Battle of Plattsburgh in 1814. Un monument a la victoire navale americaine en 1814 ce grand monument a ete . . . — Map (db m110157) HM WM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Memorial Chapel
Dedicated on 24 October 1933 in memory of those stationed here who gave their lives in WWI. The project was sponsored by the Churchwomen's League For Patriotic Service. Costing $22,472. It was constructed of weathered brick from a . . . — Map (db m47944) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Officers' Mess Plattsburgh Barracks
The stately structures surrounding the parade oval are the facilities of Plattsburgh Barracks, an active U.S. Army Post until 1944. The original installation was built during 1893-97 on the site of a military outpost which was established during the . . . — Map (db m76385) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Old Post Cemetery
Last resting place of soldiers from this nations wars Est. 1812 - 1970 PFC Robert A. LaFountain — Map (db m47375) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Pike’s Cantonment
If you were here in the late-fall of 1812, you'd see neat lines of two-man tents stretching down to the Saranac River. Those canvas shelters, which provided little protection against sleet, snow, and bitter winds, were filled with 700 soldiers . . . — Map (db m140716) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Plattsburg Bay
Plattsburg Bay has been designated a REGISTERED NATIONAL HISTORIC LANDMARK under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the . . . — Map (db m46524) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Plattsburgh Barracks Veterans Park
Dedicated to all Veterans who served this great nation in her time of need from the battles of the Revolution to the present — Map (db m47532) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Samuel Champlain
This monument was dedicated on July 6, 1912 to the memory of Samuel Champlain first European to behold our great forests and lofty mountains, and first to traverse this inland waterway, which later became so rich in fame. Champlain was born in . . . — Map (db m46525) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — State Normal School
State Normal and Training School at Plattsburgh chartered 1889, first class graduated 1891. After 1929 fire, Normal Hall replaced by present building 1933. Dedicated as Hawkins Hall 1955. — Map (db m106301) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The Arkc 1803

The Village of Plattsburgh elected its first officers at The Ark, a popular hotel on May 2 1815.

Le village de Plattsburgh a elu ses premiers officiers le 2 mai 1815 dans i hotel de renom The Ark. — Map (db m115254) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The Delord House1810-1913
The DeLord House, 1810-1913, A Social Hub During the War of 1812 La maison Delord 1810-1913: bastion de la vie sociale Durant la guerre de 1812 In August 1810, Henry and Betsey Delord purchased the house they would enlarge and their family . . . — Map (db m110120) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The Remarkable One-Armed Joe Forkey
. . . — Map (db m47536) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The War of 1812
Halsey's Corners. 250 American soldiers plus militia met 4,000 British troops in bloody battle here on Sept. 6, 1814. — Map (db m107390) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Thomas Benedict IV
Thomas Benedict IV homestead - Hdqrs. Maj. Gen. de Rottenburg British occupation forces 1814 — Map (db m106159) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Thomas Macdonough Memorial Monument
Thomas Macdonough Monument This majestic memorial to the American naval victory at Plattsburgh in September 1814 was designed by John Russell Pope (1874-1937) and commands the park opposite Plattsburgh City Hall, also designed by Pope. . . . — Map (db m110126) HM WM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Trinity Episcopal Church - 1830

Plattsburgh's oldest public building. Reverend John Henry Hopkins, who authored the hymn We Three Kings was the rector here from 1872-1877.

Le plus ancien batiment publique de Plattsburgh. Ce fut le Reverend John Henry Hopkins . . . — Map (db m115224) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Trinity Square - 1803

This former swamp became horse stalls before the War of 1812. Hay-weighing scales were located on the east end.

Cet ancien marecage devint une ecurie avant la guerre de 1812. Les balances de foin etaient situees a l'extremite . . . — Map (db m115223) HM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Troop Barracks
This structure was the first of three barracks built between 1893 - 1897. Each housed one infantry battalion of 320 men. This barracks was first occupied in June 1894 by companies D, F and G of the 21st Infantry Regiment transferred from Fort . . . — Map (db m47380) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — U.S. Fort Brown
1 of 3 forts built Aug. 1814 by Gen. Macomb & successfully defended against British assault in the Sept. 11, 1814 Land Battle of Plattsburgh. City of Plattsburgh, Clinton Co.Map (db m46926) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — War Memorial

Erected by the Clinton County Gold Star Mothers in Memory of Their Sons Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice in World Wars I and II

[Roll of Honored Dead]

[Added panels for other wars?] — Map (db m115225) WM

New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — War of 1812 Trail
Commemorates British and American Navy and troops who fought on land and lake Battle of Plattsburgh September 11, 1814 — Map (db m76384) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Zephaniah Platt Home
Site of home Zephaniah Platt 1735 - 1807 Founder of Plattsburgh Built in 1799 — Map (db m47945) HM

43 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement