Bullet holes around the upstairs window of the Ausbon House are haunting reminders of a fight to the death here on December 10, 1862, when a Confederate sniper refused to surrender. Hoping to drive out the U.S. forces occupying Plymouth then, Lt. . . . — — Map (db m56977) HM
At 4 P.M. on April 17, 1864, an advanced Union patrol on the Washington Road (A) was captured by Confederate cavalry (B). A company of the 12th N.Y. Cavalry attacked the Confederates, but was repulsed (C). Soon a large force of Confederate infantry . . . — — Map (db m56926) HM
The Battle of Plymouth, April 17-20, 1864, was the last major Confederate victory of the Civil War and the third largest battle fought in North Carolina. Two North Carolinians, Gen. Robert F. Hoke and Gen. Matthew W. Ransom, led the Confederate . . . — — Map (db m56973) HM
Confederate troops led by Brig. Gen. R. F. Hoke achieved a brilliant victory in the capture of Plymouth from the United States military and naval forces, April 17-20, 1864.
The iron-clad “Albemarle,” commanded by Capt. J. W. Cook, . . . — — Map (db m57065) HM
In 1863, 19-year-old engineer Gilbert Elliott contracted with the Confederate Navy Department to construct an ironclad gunboat designed by John L. Porter, the navy’s chief architect. Elliott built the vessel at Edwards Ferry on the Roanoke River, 60 . . . — — Map (db m56972) HM
The iron clad ram, the CSS Albemarle was the most successful Confederate ironclad of the Civil War and twice defeated the Union Navy. Build in a cornfield on the Roanoke River near Scotland Neck, the Albemarle played a pivotal role in the Battle of . . . — — Map (db m62228) HM
CSS Albemarle, which had been built in a cornfield beside the Roanoke River in 1863-1864, helped drive the U.S. Army from Plymouth in April 1864 and defeated seven U.S. gunboats in May. The ironclad ram seemed invincible, but 21-year-old US. . . . — — Map (db m56975) HM
Atop the hill in front of you, on the left side of the field, stood Fort Compher (also called Fort Comfort), a key position for U.S. forces occupying Plymouth. The nine-sided fortifications was named for Capt. Alexander Compher of the 101st . . . — — Map (db m76831) HM
Dr. John Hampton, Benefactor
Hampton Academy replaced Plymouth Academy and other small schools as principal white school in Plymouth 1902-1922. Reopened as a primary school 1928-1958.
Plymouth Woman's Club acquired and preserved it in 1959 and . . . — — Map (db m57059) HM
Built by Charles Latham who occupied the house until 1882. Home was occupied for decades by descendants of its builder, a Lawyer, County Sheriff, and State Representative. During the battle of Plymouth, town residents sought protection in the . . . — — Map (db m62226) HM
Established in 1867. Rev. Abraham Mebane entered into a lease agreement with the Lowell Colored School Society, giving New Chapel the right to erect a church on lot No. 41 in the town of Plymouth. — — Map (db m57053) HM
Established by the NC General Assembly as one of two NC schools for training black teachers. Moved to Elizabeth City, NC in 1903 and was parent school to Elizabeth City State University. — — Map (db m57050) HM
Records first mention the appointment of William J. Waller as pastor of the Plymouth Methodist Episcopal Church, February 15, 1826. The first building was constructed in 1832. The church cemetery predates the church with the earliest grave dating . . . — — Map (db m57054) HM
The Brooke Rifle is named after its developer, Commander John Mercer Brooke (CSA), who served as Chief, Dept. of Ordnance and Hydrography. While closely resembling the popular Parrott Gun used by the Union, the Brooke Rifle is considered to be the . . . — — Map (db m57028) HM
Under the command of General Henry Walton Wessells
Engaged and captured April 17-20, 1864.
16th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry
2nd Massachusetts Heavy Artillery - Companies G & H
12th New York . . . — — Map (db m57025) HM