Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Historic Pocono Lake Cemetery Marker image, Touch for more information
By Rick Bodenschatz, November 16, 2013
Historic Pocono Lake Cemetery Marker
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Historic Pocono Lake Cemetery
This burial ground has served the surrounding area since the Civil War era. A walk among the markers takes you back in time. Here lie those who built our community. Some worked in logging, ice harvesting or farming. Some founded schools, churches, . . . — Map (db m85408) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Hungry Hill Memorial ó Sullivan's Expedition
This encampment site was named by General Sullivanís Expedition of the Revolutionary War, 1779, en route north to avenge the Wyoming Massacre. They called the adjacent swamp Hellís Kitchen. Army engineers built this first road on the Pocono Plateau, . . . — Map (db m84565) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Ice Harvesting Industry
Ice was harvested on local lakes from 1896 thru the 1940s. Vast icehouses insulated with sawdust at Naomi Lake, Pocono Lake, Stillwater Lake, Anglewood lake and Bradyís Lake kept tons of ice frozen through summer. Blocks of ice were shipped by rail . . . — Map (db m104537) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Lutherland
In 1926, Lutherans from the NY metro area created a vacation site dedicated to Christian values. This was the entrance to over 1,300 acres on which their dream was realized. A lake, hotels, youth camps, and family cottages were built in a pristine . . . — Map (db m97156) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Naomi Pines House
Franklin Comfort Miller opened a summer resort on this site in 1888. His beautiful Victorian hotel offered guests lush woodlands, pure streams and healthy spring water. Naomi Lake (1895) added swimming and boating. Room cost of $8 weekly included . . . — Map (db m104543) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Pocono Pines Assembly
An independent “Chautauqua” was organized in 1902 by followers of Rev. Rufus W. Miller. Occupying 300 acres, it was initially named “Naomi Pines Assembly and Summer Schools”. Hotels. Auditorium and a library provided . . . — Map (db m104490) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Summer Youth Camps
After 1900, Pocono camps became popular destinations for children from outside this area. Recreation activities including swimming, boating, riding and sports. “Sleep away” experience was a first for most campers. Pocohanna, Owaissa, . . . — Map (db m95755) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The First Fire Company / The Clymer Library
The First Fire Company Built in 1935, the Pocono Pines Fire Company included offices for police, township supervisors and support staff. Its Goodwill Community Club offered space for public “meetings, suppers and various . . . — Map (db m104528) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The Lumbering Industry
Pocono timberlands, trees as far as the eye could see, laid the foundation of soaring commerce during the latter half of the 19th century. Innovative and energetic logging of mammoth white pine, eastern hemlock and hardwoods fueled the growth of . . . — Map (db m96410) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — The Stagecoach Inn
A log-framed inn served travelers on Sullivan Road, circa 1850. Rooms, food and drink were available. It also housed church services and a post office for the town, then known as Tompkinsville. Operated by Frederick P. Miller and his son Timothy, . . . — Map (db m97597) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Tobyhanna Township
The first permanent settlers were attracted to this area by an abundance of natural resources: land, trees, water. The township was incorporated in 1830, with 230 residents. It was named after Tobyhanna Creek, “A stream lined with . . . — Map (db m104538) HM
Pennsylvania (Monroe County), Pocono Pines — Wilkes-Barre and Eastern Railroad
In 1893 a single track line was built from Wilkes-Barre to Stroudsburg. It was the shortest route to a connecting line, taking anthracite coal to tidewater ports in New Jersey for domestic and export markets. With stations at Naomi Pines, Pocono . . . — Map (db m104547) HM

12 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement