4 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Pollock
Pollock, Louisiana and Vicinity
▶ Grant Parish (16) ▶ La Salle Parish (2) ▶ Natchitoches Parish (40) ▶ Rapides Parish (135) ▶ Winn Parish (4)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|Oction House is the oldest remaining residence in the Town of Pollock. Composed of two separate houses, its rear addition contains the original house, a Louisiana galleried cottage built circa 1861 by Levi B. Parker. Parker built his one-room . . . — — Map (db m118129) HM|
The first school in Pollock was established in 1893-1894. The Rev. Frank Brian, a minister and state senator was hired by the students' parents to serve as the first instructor. Located near the business district, the first school building was . . . — — Map (db m135983) HM|
| Indians once roamed the land of crystal streams. Then came pioneer farmers and called it Oction. In 1889 Jay Gould, Wall Street tycoon, built the Iron Mountain Railroad through here. In 1892 he built the Big Creek Sawmill, the largest pine sawmill . . . — — Map (db m117813) HM|
| Native Americans first roamed this area of virgin pines and crystal streams. Then it was named Oction by early pioneer settlers. The Civil War Battle at Oction Hill occurred here in 1864. In 1889, Jay Gould, business tycoon and railroad magnate, . . . — — Map (db m117582) HM|